Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 06:18 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
My folks were J___i$h that way too! No wonder their first low-flush became a two- & three-flusher, or clogged up altogether. The replacement, an American Standard, requires occasional double-flushes or a plunger, but is an improvement.

Kohler and Toto, apparently, are tops at their game.

Another one of my 1950s-isms: Y'get what ya pay for!
You weren't alive in the 1950s

Old 10-03-2020, 06:27 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
I hate the fact that there is so little water in the bowl. Skid marks often need to be brushed away after the first flush, followed by a second flush. Toilets also seem to develop a strong urine smell more quickly than with older models so they need to be cleaned more often.

Even worse than low flow toilets, new clothes washers use very little water but run for 2 hours per load. Saves water but quadruples the electric usage. Clothes slowly turn grey forcing people to divide loads and use even MORE water.

Dishwashers are the same. Less water, more electricity. They don't clean as well, forcing users to prewash every item.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:17 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I hate the fact that there is so little water in the bowl. Skid marks often need to be brushed away after the first flush, followed by a second flush. Toilets also seem to develop a strong urine smell more quickly than with older models so they need to be cleaned more often.

Even worse than low flow toilets, new clothes washers use very little water but run for 2 hours per load. Saves water but quadruples the electric usage. Clothes slowly turn grey forcing people to divide loads and use even MORE water.

Dishwashers are the same. Less water, more electricity. They don't clean as well, forcing users to prewash every item.
None of this is true in my house.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:51 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Congratulations. You win.

Old 10-03-2020, 09:06 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
Not sure, but I know they were initially poorly designed. My brother and I installed two at my parents house in the early 90s. They are still functioning but the flush has always been weak and often needs 2 for a large download.

I had Kohler Ultraflush 1.28 g put in my bathrooms within the last 2 years when I had bathrooms fully renovated (ergonomic elongated version) - the extra 1.5 inches in height is appreciated but more so, the powerful flush.

At the parents home I had come up with a song based on that hit from Annie "It's a Hard Knock Life" and sung the tune every so often as, "It's a Two Flush Dump".

Some commode designs I have encountered in travels were odd. One in Poland had this large basin with odd design which always left skid trails. My favorite was a set up in Milan, Italy. The hotel must have been adapted from a historic building and the way they designed the flush was intriguing. The handle to the main water pipe was at about 36-42 inches high. When you flushed you controlled the volume of water needed to flush the waste. It was totally variable like turning on a spigot - and it had excellent pressure.

I like the dual mechanism I encounter in public restrooms in general, but I have noticed a variation in the downward (#2) in the building where I work currently. One bathroom commode works fine with a nice turbo jet effect but the other (perhaps it needs to have mechanism / guts replaced) does not keep the flush long enough and no matter the load needs a second prompt to dispense.

As former road warrior one thing I always checked first thing when entering room was to always test the commode power on a simple download BEFORE releasing a larger download.

Here's a poem I wrote about 20 years ago, not sure I ever shared, it's title is, Ode to A Commode

Oh Porcelain God
You’re a special species
The unwitting recipient
Of everyone’s feces

Oh Porcelain God
Upon thee we study
Setting upon thy throne
Your view is often muddy

Oh Porcelain God
So polished and bold
We run to you
When our bladders cannot hold

Oh Commode
When upon thee we parks
You’re frequently abused,
And left with skid marks.

Alcoholics to you
Pay oblation
Drug traffickers use you
To skip incarceration

Though technology improves
Oh great commode-
You were the FIRST,
To know a true download!

So when we purge
And abate the rush
We say a silent prayer
For plumbing that does flush

Alas away the waste doth speed
But to all those near these words heed…
When at the lowest of water drainage system
Your tap water (tho’ reconstituted)
Passed through many a sewage system.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:16 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
In my opinion, the problem with some of the modern toilets, the Toto Drake included, is that the sidewalls of the bowl are not as slippery as they need to be (as they used to be with older toilets), and thus one is required to clean the bowl with a toilet brush, an unpleasant task that was previously needed to be done far less frequently.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:58 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,736 times
Quote:
You weren't alive in the 1950s
How do you know?

Old 10-04-2020, 05:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
I just replaced mine. It took 2 flushes almost every time in the old model. I have dual flush now. It does not work every time in low flush, but better than not working 80% of the time.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:24 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post

Now you got me thinkin' about HOSPITAL toilets: Flush so loud the whole dang floor or department knows you dropped mail, even behind the door! lmao!
We had one on a 65' deeps sea fishing boat. That thing would blast flush. But in rough seas it would spit at ya.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:25 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

Most all terlets have brown slides clyde. Most just don't ever work kirk. My new $350 washer don't take 2 hours. It really don't even make noise as the cloths go around very slow bro. I had to keep watching it the first time i used it as i was used to a loud washer that spun like crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House