Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 01:00 PM

118 posts, read 210,672 times

Advertisements

So I cut out a small square of drywall, so I could take it to Home Depot and color match the paint. Anyways, I put it back with a couple of drywall screws.

I walk away after screwing the piece back in, and maybe 1-2 minutes later, whole house loses power. I checked and the main circuit breaker tripped. (Which I’ve never seen happen before) I flipped it back and it’s been fine since?

Did I possibly hit an electrical wire ?? Or weird coincidence?

Some thoughts to consider:

I would think if I hit a wire, the power would go out immediately.

If I did hit a wire, I feel like something would happen (flickering lights, noise, etc)

Wouldn’t the breaker retrip if there was a drywall screw screwed into wiring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 02:14 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Did you see a wire inside the hole in the wall? I suppose it's possible to trip the main, but it seems very unlikely.

Old 10-05-2020, 02:49 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Poltergeist!

Old 10-05-2020, 03:00 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
My vote is coincidence. If the screw caused the breaker to trip you would not be able to reset it and have it stay on.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:25 PM

Just to add: Very old house with atleast 2 layers of drywall, and most likely lathe and plaster under that. I did not see any wires but with so many layers, who can be sure?

I have checked with a stud finder which did detect electrical..however, the wall doesn’t even have any outlets on it

Old 10-05-2020, 03:40 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Here's my theory.

The screw did contact a wire such that it took the 1-2 minute delay for the pressure of the screw to displace the wire's insulation, that dead-shorted the hot to neutral or ground, and the resulting arc burned away the tip of the screw, removing the short.

BTW, I have witnessed a dead-short trip the main breaker before the branch. BTDT, AMHIK :-(

Maybe remove the screw and see if it's damaged.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:07 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I've seen a nail through a wire bypass the breaker that the wire was on, and trip the main. Usually flipping the breaker back causes it to trip again, unless the original incident caused the wire/nail to blow out the wire, in which case the breaker will reset, but only because you have a blown out wire in the wall that is no longer making contact with anything.

Kill the main for a second (in case the screw is still electrified) and pull the screw back out. Do you see any burned/melted parts? 100Amps or more is bound to leave a mark. Do you still have power in all receptacles/lights in house?

Old 10-06-2020, 09:22 AM

430 posts, read 283,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Here's my theory.

The screw did contact a wire such that it took the 1-2 minute delay for the pressure of the screw to displace the wire's insulation, that dead-shorted the hot to neutral or ground, and the resulting arc burned away the tip of the screw, removing the short.

BTW, I have witnessed a dead-short trip the main breaker before the branch. BTDT, AMHIK :-(

Maybe remove the screw and see if it's damaged.
OK, possible. I am wondering what was shorted? A screw into a hot wire isn't going to short unless it is grounded. I would also remove and inspect the screw. Lots of questions. It's an old house...Knob and Tube, BX, Romex?

Old 10-06-2020, 04:16 PM

There IS lots of questions, which I honestly don’t have the answers for. It could be any type of wire for all I know. Or maybe no wire at all.

As far as I can tell, everything seems to work fine. There is a couple of things I will check, but I’m guessing they’re fine.

By “blown out wire” you mean the wire no longer working ?

I’m going to remove the screw, but first I’m going to check it with a voltage detector. Then probably make the hole in the wall even bigger and look for a wire. I don’t want to burn the place down.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:22 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude24 View Post
OK, possible. I am wondering what was shorted? A screw into a hot wire isn't going to short unless it is grounded. ?
A typical house wire usually contains 3 wires. hot, neutral and ground. A screw or nail through the wire usually shorts the hot to either the neutral or ground. It usually causes whatever shorted across it to blow out. Removing the screw (with power off first) would be a good way to see if in fact it went through. A chunk likely will be missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House