Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 06:40 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times

Advertisements

We are (finally) redoing our kitchen. We are doing white cabinets. Haven't decided on floor yet, but it will be tile to replace the existing tile. For counters, we will probably go with quartz, quartzite, or granite. I was leaning towards Quartzite because there are a lot of options, and I thought it was pretty indestructible. But my neighbor put it in last year, and she said it has stained in a couple spots.

So, do you have it and what do you like or dislike about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 07:08 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
According to the Marble Institute of America some quartzite etches because in slab preparation, resins are infused into the slab that enhance slab stability and make it shine. But when acidic liquids – wine, tomatoes, citrus, etc. – aren't wiped up immediately, you're left with a ghosted etch mark.

When our house was being rebuilt we looked at different countertops and went with quartz. I was concerned about staining. Quartzite requires sealing, quartz doesn’t.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:22 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Look at Azerocare marble as an option.
https://www.antolini.com/en/azerocare

Look at porcelain slabs
https://www.crossvilleinc.com/Design...try-s-Next-Big
https://www.daltile.com/trend-hub/de...elain-surfaces

Old 09-23-2020, 08:47 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
I can't speak to quartzite, but I put quartz in our kitchen 6 years ago and it's held up remarkably well. It requires no maintenance and is pretty much bulletproof. My only regret is going with the basic 1/8" roundover edge. It's gotten a couple of very tiny chips, especially around the sink. I'd suggest more of an eased edge to minimize this problem.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:54 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
i dont really like the look of any of those products like granite, quartz, marble, etc. i hit the jackpot when we looked at our house initially that it had white corian counter tops instead of one of those other substances. my wife said she would like to change them sometime to granite or whatever but i said no and so far she hasnt mentioned it again.

most people who want those are probably not going to like my plain white corian counter tops.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 09-23-2020 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-23-2020, 10:57 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
I have quartz (snow) in kitchen and bathroom and overall like it. It does have some water marks around a faucet in the bathroom. Other than that, it is sturdy. I've had it for 3-4 years.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:00 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
We are (finally) redoing our kitchen. We are doing white cabinets. Haven't decided on floor yet, but it will be tile to replace the existing tile. For counters, we will probably go with quartz, quartzite, or granite. I was leaning towards Quartzite because there are a lot of options, and I thought it was pretty indestructible. But my neighbor put it in last year, and she said it has stained in a couple spots.

So, do you have it and what do you like or dislike about it?
Quartzite is tricky. And mostly that is because much of what is labeled "quartzite" is actually a marble (dolomite). There is also the issue of silicone bleed, and there just is no fix for that other than constantly poulticing, or paying a fabricator to come out and seal your stone. But the whole appeal of quartzite is that you don't NEED to worry about any of that, right? It's marketing. Just like anything else. If you are good with a darker counter, then there are many excellent quartzites to fit that bill.

Go to a local slab yard and start looking at slabs. If you are one that prefers the lighter ("marblely" looks) then just bite the bullet and get marble, and deal with the etching issue. Or, get quartz. That will be about the most maintenance-free counter you could have, in a light color, and there are so many beautiful patterns now - so much more than even just a couple of years ago. Or, go with granite, but then you have to be content with the more busy "dotted" look. Although, I have seen the occasional granite that does not have that same tired look.

I love quartzite, but I have read enough to know that I am relieved that it was what ended up getting. I wanted a lot of white in my counters, so for me, it was quartz that worked the best.
Solid surface is also great (Corian is one, Hanstone makes one now that is absolutely beautiful to me, I will probably put that in my bathroom) if you like a more "matte" surface, although I have read somewhere that they also do polished now.

Spend some time on the HOUZZ forums and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:06 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
then just bite the bullet and get marble, and deal with the etching issue.
Non-etching marble is here.
Azerocare.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:49 PM

913 posts, read 886,321 times
I love quartzite, but didn't want the upkeep. I do a lot of cooking so I prefer to go with Quartz. Just did my kitchen this year and put in Silestone Pietra and absolutely love it against my new lt. grey cabinets.

I have to say that the azerocare looks interesting, I haven't seen it before.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:52 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
I wrote this previously when someone posted that quartz could withstand all hot items placed on it:
"Don't believe everything you read -- my chocolate brown quartz has a "halo" on it from where a hot saucepan was placed on it by a foolish guest.
There is resin in quartz countertops."

I realize now that I probably have quartzite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House