Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2020, 12:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

I have always relied on the old abrasive wheels to cut metal, and to be honest, they work pretty well, especially once you get the hang of it and know to be gentle with cutting steel, I generally let the tool do all the work, I dont apply much pressure at all, those abrasive cut off wheels will slice thru thick steel like butter if you are holding the tool correctly...

The only problem is, those abrasive wheels wear down fairly fast, even if you are being extra gentle, before long, they are down to being 2" or less in dia!

Ive seen the carbide and diamond tipped metal cutting wheels for 4" angle grinders...I bought one that was said to be one the best and longest lasting, I found it to be much slower and much louder than the abrasive wheels, I couldnt get it to make it the first cut in an 1/8", 2" steel flat bar...although Im not sure I was using it correctly.

I have not tried the diamond tipped metal cutting wheels, I would imagine they cut the best, since diamond is so much more dense than steel, just curious what you all think.

I typically work with small structural steel, 2" angle, 4" rect. tubing, usually in 1/8" thickness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 06:36 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
As noted in many replies to your previous post, if you’d rather not use abrasive blades to cut steel and your cutting material that’s 3/8 of an inch or less, a Diablo demon 48 tooth saw blade is most likely the best blade for cost and efficiency.

You can also look at the Eastwood metal cutting saws and blades. Beyond those two options, I don’t believe it’s going to be cost effective to order a specialty diamond blade for the material sizes that you are working with.

Last edited by Rickcin; 11-23-2020 at 07:31 AM..

Old 10-12-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
As noted in many replies to your previous post, if you’d rather not use abrasive blades to cut steel and your cutting material that’s 3/8 of an inch or less, a Diablo demon 48 tooth saw blade is most likely the best blade for cost and efficiency.

You can also look at the Eastwood metal cutting saws and blades. Beyond those two options, I don’t believe it’s going to be cost effective to order a specialty diamond blade for the material sizes that you are working with.
Im not sure if you have ever used abrasive cut off wheels to cut steel...(if you have), in your opinion, do you like the abrasive wheels or these metal cut off wheels?

Old 10-12-2020, 12:17 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
I'd stick with friction saw blades, for .125" X 2" steel.

I use a 7.25" circular saw. Granted, it becomes a 6" blade after a few uses, but they're cheap too.

If you have hundreds of cuts to make, I'd find a machine shop with a bandsaw.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:38 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not sure if you have ever used abrasive cut off wheels to cut steel...(if you have), in your opinion, do you like the abrasive wheels or these metal cut off wheels?
It all depends on what you are cutting and how accurate the cut need to be. Hand grinder, chop saw or circular saw all have their specific uses for convenience, speed and accuracy, so it varies greatly depending on the task. You know best what your doing, I do not and cannot comment as to which tool and blade would best suit your needs.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I'd stick with friction saw blades, for .125" X 2" steel.

I use a 7.25" circular saw. Granted, it becomes a 6" blade after a few uses, but they're cheap too.

If you have hundreds of cuts to make, I'd find a machine shop with a bandsaw.
I didnt know those abrasive cut off wheels came to fit a circular saw (7.25"). I see them in 4", 4.5", and 9", they probably do have them and I just havent looked.

I had never thought of using a regular circular saw with an abrasive blade, that actually sounds like its what I need to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House