Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 10:25 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
What about expanding foam?

Messy. Lots of waste if it expands too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 10:41 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Messy. Lots of waste if it expands too far.

There is minimal expansion foam that is formulated for window and door applications- that way the jamb doesn't move creating a bind.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:50 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
I use latex expansive foam. Don't use the urethane expansive foam, which will put pressure on the window and jam it up. If you fill the whole space with latex expansive foam, it will act as insulation and save you a lot of money.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:48 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
1. Foam comes in numerous forms as follows (read the label):
a. Fire-blocking foam (usually red color)
b. All purpose foam (for general use, usually low expansion)
c. High expansion foam (not used for doors and windows)
d. Low expansion foam (used for doors and windows among other things)

2. Insulating foam should never be used to "caulk" window frames.

3. Caulking the frame is only a temporary measure. To properly insulate the window, the frame is removed, then the gap between the window and jambs is insulated and caulked.

As I mentioned to the OP before, have the right person figure what the problem is.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:50 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,832,149 times
OP~ Do you ever anticipate re-opening these window's in the Spring (future?)

How many windows do you need replacing? Figure about $500-$600 per window, installed...

Old 10-13-2020, 07:26 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,398,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I thought about that although no one so far has recommended it. The spaces are really quite narrow, and I'm not sure spraying that stuff inside there will cause any issues. I guess I would have to get someone who knows what they are doing with that product.
It's more for when you're installing a window. The stuff for windows and doors is going to expand to WAY more than 1/8 inch, and as someone mentioned, it's really messy. From what I'm picturing, caulk sounds like what you need.

It takes some practice to lay a good bead. If possible, get some practice in an inconspicuous area before doing your window, if it's in a highly visible spot.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
There is minimal expansion foam that is formulated for window and door applications- that way the jamb doesn't move creating a bind.
This is what we used. It worked beautifully. The minimal expanding foam does not harden up and get brittle like the maximum expanding foam does. It gets harder, but retains some flexibility. The highly expansive foam eventually falls apart.

Better yet is the white DAP foam that is for use around outlets and switch boxes. It expands very little and remains very flexible and does not break up into dust over time. The downside is it expands very little, so it is harder to get it into all of the crevasses. It is also significantly more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House