Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 08:24 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
So far, my favorite one for keeping clean was my Thermador with the star-shaped burners. At first I was leery that the burner shape would create nooks and crannies that would be a PITA to clean, but I liked the way the flame was spread out. Turns out it wasn't an issue, and that stove was pretty easy to keep clean. Still looked like new many years later.
Thanks, Kayela, for telling us about this. I didn't know about it, but it's been a while since I went shopping for a range. This has certainly piqued my interest. Along with easy cleaning I am most interested in the heat distribution.

Quote:
Why a Star Distributes Heat Better Than a Circle
The Star range Burner’s coverage area allows for more ports and more flame distribution than a round range burner.

The design of the Star Burner offers greater heat coverage, and a smaller cold spot, making it ideal for any pan size.
https://www.thermador.com/us/product...es/star-burner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 11:36 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,712 times
Quote:
Thanks, Kayela, for telling us about this. I didn't know about it, but it's been a while since I went shopping for a range. This has certainly piqued my interest. Along with easy cleaning I am most interested in the heat distribution.
I came across it rather by chance. I was walking into the appliance store as they were changing out the floor model. I peeked curiously at what it was, and one of the guys laughingly said they'd just haul it right out to my car if I bought for 60% off (this was the cooktop), but there was no warranty, no box, just 'as-is'. I'd never heard of Thermador but was intrigued by the unusual burner shape, he told me the burners were amazing, I said they'd be a pain to clean, he took another 5% off and that's how I got my favorite gas cooktop. Wish I could have taken it with me when we sold that house.

Best wishes with appliance shopping!

Old 10-14-2020, 02:38 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Wolf- dual fuel!

You pick the size...
Yes, we had a Wolf. What all the pros use! Loved it.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:00 PM

743 posts, read 875,977 times
I just remodeled my kitchen in my new house. I had a blank check for anything I wanted. I am a professional Chef BTW. It came down to either Wolf or Blue Star. I tried them all too. Thermador, Viking, Bertazzonni, Dacor, Wolf, and Blue Star. I really liked Blue Star because of the BTU's were the highest, the oven fits a full sheet pan and I could get any color range I wanted. My plumber was concerned about the BTU's as well because we were adding gas to the kitchen and we even upgraded the meter to handle the new stove. In the end though, I chose the workhorse Wolf. It was even the cheapest out of all of them.

Pros: less expensive, continuous grate on top for smooth transition (moving a pan around without lifting), the grates are heavy too which I like, closed burners for easy cleaning, under the burners is black-just wipe clean.

Cons: none that I can think of

Oh and if you're going to get a vent hood I highly recommend Vent-a-Hood. It's the best and works like what I have in the restaurant.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:15 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Can you have an electric oven?
Do you have enough amps for an electric oven? How many?
Is your current glass cooktop gas?
I have a slide in glass range, which includes an oven (also gas, of course, since it's the same unit).

I am not the one who said anything about a glass range, and I don't want a glass range.

I am looking for gas stove recommendations (higher end) - that is not the stainless steal that is hard to clean and scratches very easily.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I don’t think these are the dimensions you really mean, this is a huge, commercial range. The largest I have ever spec’d was a 48†dual fuel plus steamer function commercial style range that the clients got for a deal of $17k.
I will have to measure it again.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Electric sucks, no matter what. OP thankfully has gas.
There will be cleaning issues under the burners, though.
I use heat diffusers and it helps. Perhaps this will work for you?
https://www.amazon.com/45PACK-Alumin...ref=mp_s_a_1_9
https://www.amazon.com/Verified-BPA-...ef=mp_s_a_1_33
not pretty but works
Thank you.

Do people use those on high end ranges?

I guess I have never noticed.

I will definitely try them.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Wolf- dual fuel!

You pick the size...
I was looking at the Wolf's - kind of want a red one.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post

https://www.thermador.com/us/product...es/star-burner
Interesting. Thank you.

Is there such a thing as a range with black, like cast iron, bottom of burners, instead of stainless steel?

It looks like in some of the pics the underneath is black. I would much prefer that to stainless steel.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
I just remodeled my kitchen in my new house. I had a blank check for anything I wanted. I am a professional Chef BTW. It came down to either Wolf or Blue Star. I tried them all too. Thermador, Viking, Bertazzonni, Dacor, Wolf, and Blue Star. I really liked Blue Star because of the BTU's were the highest, the oven fits a full sheet pan and I could get any color range I wanted. My plumber was concerned about the BTU's as well because we were adding gas to the kitchen and we even upgraded the meter to handle the new stove. In the end though, I chose the workhorse Wolf. It was even the cheapest out of all of them.

Pros: less expensive, continuous grate on top for smooth transition (moving a pan around without lifting), the grates are heavy too which I like, closed burners for easy cleaning, under the burners is black-just wipe clean.

Cons: none that I can think of

Oh and if you're going to get a vent hood I highly recommend Vent-a-Hood. It's the best and works like what I have in the restaurant.
Thank you. I will have to look at them more closely to see what you mean by "closed burners." I think that is what I need and I like that you say they are black underneath.

Appreciate your expertise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House