Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 04:42 PM

32,512 posts, read 47,541,342 times

Advertisements

I've got a gas cook top that is easy to clean. Take off the heavy cast iron grates, throw them into the dishwasher, and the area under the burners just wipes up. Food doesn't get burned on. I suppose the burners are high enough above the base to not get that hot.

I don't see any brand name on it, but the rest of the appliances are GE Profile, so that is probably what it is.

The very best cook top for cleaning that I've ever used was in Britain and I've searched but never found anything like it. The burners were high up off the base so it didn't burn food onto the stove and then the area under the burners slid out to be washed (large drip tray.) It was a joy to cook on and really easy to clean. I don't know how you'd get one like that, but if you see one, grab it up.

Most stoves can be special ordered in white if you don't want stainless steel. I'm not a huge fan of stainless steel, but that's what came with the house, so I can live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 04:44 PM

17,676 posts, read 29,602,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I have a slide in glass range, which includes an oven (also gas, of course, since it's the same unit).
I am not the one who said anything about a glass range, and I don't want a glass range.
1. I am confused.
You wrote glass.

2. Do you want a gas oven or would you consider electric?

Last edited by davebarnes; 10-14-2020 at 04:52 PM..

Old 10-14-2020, 07:56 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,599,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. I am confused.
You wrote glass.

2. Do you want a gas oven or would you consider electric?
Yes. I apparently did. That was a typo.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Yes. I apparently did. That was a typo.
And, an answer to my question about oven?

Old 10-18-2020, 08:34 AM

19,478 posts, read 22,383,254 times
Whatever you do stay the hell away from GE Cafe- it's JUNK. These are the 'power burners' from my range top after less than 2 years on each!

They warped until they were totally useless. I had to fight with GE to get them to replace them. We're on our third burner and it's starting to warp like the others. I told GE we use that power burner A LOT- we can a lot of food- make big batches of soups- WE COOK.

You know what the 'Customer Care Manager' said?- "It appears you're getting the stove too hot".

I became unglued! I said (and I quote)- "IT'S A FREKIN' STOVE!!!!!!"

Anyway- We are going backwards and picked up a nice Wedgewood stove built in the 1940's. Heavy as a tank, a woodburner on the left side too. I'm sending the burner assemblies out to be re-porcelained and need to get a new safety valve and pilot assembly. It works fine as is- but I figured I should update the important things. I'm going to rewire the clock and lights as well.

Right now I have it set up in my shop

These things are cool as hell. You turn the burner knob a quarter turn and only the center 'top hot' burners light up- precise simmer mode! Turn them all the way the whole assembly fires up and then you can regulate the heat down with all burners fired. All mechanical- no electronics, lol. We like the old school look and the craftsmanship from the era when US manufacturing was King of King's.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Whatever you do stay the hell away from GE Cafe.
GE Café is not "high end".
GE Monogram is "higher" and still not high end.
GE does not make a high-end line.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:09 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,599,000 times
Quote:
And, an answer to my question about oven?
I'm pretty sure I said my range is gas, and then again, said the stovetop and oven are gas. So gas.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:51 PM

19,478 posts, read 22,383,254 times
Quote:
GE Café is not "high end".
GE Monogram is "higher" and still not high end.
GE does not make a high-end line.
I don't care. I never said it was 'High End'. All I said is stay AWAY. I got that POS Cafe on rack clearance to replace a POS glass top electric crap cooker. 'High End' is subjective to the buyer, frankly. And 'high end' doesn't mean quality either. Some of the touted 'high end appliances' are crap. That's a fact.

Those Wedgewoods ran $400-$500 in the 40's. They were just under O'Keefe & Merrit on the scale of appliances.

And they still work.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:02 PM

15,186 posts, read 7,214,482 times
Wolf 6 burner gas range top and a separate Wolf electric convection oven is what we have in our kitchen. They are awesomely great. You can get them in a range, with gas on top, electric in the oven. Worth every penny.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:07 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,305,965 times
Look into AGA range- different configurations, styles and colors.
Attached Thumbnails
High End Stoves - Your Recommendations!!!-aleg-36-df-crn-36-aga  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House