Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 06:01 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,181,623 times

Advertisements

I would notice, and it would drive me nuts. I am that person that walks in a room and notices if anything isn’t level on the wall, if something is out of place, if the floor was different by and inch it would bug me. But if it doesn’t bother you then do it. I would have kept the tile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 06:44 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,581,771 times
It is just a matter of personal opinion/preference. You can try to match the current trends, but a new and different trend will make your choice outdated before you know it. Choose what you like.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:59 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,797,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
How many sq feet do you need?

Buy the planks to match. Have them milled.
There are no "planks," there is no milling. The OP refers to "engineered" flooring.

Another good reason to stick with the real stuff.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:29 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,249,382 times
We had a house about ten years ago that had engineered hardwood in the kitchen/dining area that we couldn't match in color. We bought another color of plank and had it installed next door in the living room where the planks ran perpendicular to the existing floor. It looked ok.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:35 PM

14,224 posts, read 14,642,943 times
I say if close in size, color wins out.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:49 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,411,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
There are no "planks," there is no milling. The OP refers to "engineered" flooring.

Another good reason to stick with the real stuff.
Uh, engineered is "real" and the boards are planks. Obviously you don't know anything about engineered flooring. The correct term is SOLID WOOD. What do you think engineered flooring is made out of - plastic? Of course comes from a tree and of course there was milling, but since there's a factory finish, cutting isn't an option. But you can cut an engineered floor.

For those who are still in the dark - engineered flooring is a cherry [or whatever species] veneer over plywood with or without a factory finish, that can be refinished a couple of times.

And actually while the flooring we laid down is engineered, there is solid in the home and the flooring we are considering is solid, which is actually cheaper than the engineered cherry right now.

Everyone: thanks for your responses. Lots to think about. I'm leaning towards just running it in a diagonal..that may or may not work. Johngolf, the difference is one inch but the color would be even more of an issue I'd think. One would be a bright pinkish tone while the rest of the house is more dark red/brown. That's the problem with buying from another manufacturer. I could get unfinished and try and match, but it'd have to be finished in aluminum oxide poly to match the rest of the floors, I'd think...

Old 10-19-2020, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Uh, engineered is "real" and the boards are planks. Obviously you don't know anything about engineered flooring. The correct term is SOLID WOOD. What do you think engineered flooring is made out of - plastic? Of course comes from a tree and of course there was milling, but since there's a factory finish, cutting isn't an option. But you can cut an engineered floor.

For those who are still in the dark - engineered flooring is a cherry [or whatever species] veneer over plywood with or without a factory finish, that can be refinished a couple of times.

And actually while the flooring we laid down is engineered, there is solid in the home and the flooring we are considering is solid, which is actually cheaper than the engineered cherry right now.

Everyone: thanks for your responses. Lots to think about. I'm leaning towards just running it in a diagonal..that may or may not work. Johngolf, the difference is one inch but the color would be even more of an issue I'd think. One would be a bright pinkish tone while the rest of the house is more dark red/brown. That's the problem with buying from another manufacturer. I could get unfinished and try and match, but it'd have to be finished in aluminum oxide poly to match the rest of the floors, I'd think...
Don't get carried away with yourself - there is plenty of plastic both holding the plies together of your "engineered" wood and in the finish that's on it that you can't match.

The real stuff is a single piece of wood. If that's what you had you could have some more wood of the same species milled to the size you need and finished exactly the same as the floor you already have.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:12 AM

13,441 posts, read 15,411,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Don't get carried away with yourself - there is plenty of plastic both holding the plies together of your "engineered" wood and in the finish that's on it that you can't match.

The real stuff is a single piece of wood. If that's what you had you could have some more wood of the same species milled to the size you need and finished exactly the same as the floor you already have.

LOL, it's ok to be wrong, my friend. Engineered wood is constructed of plies glued together with a finish. Glue holds the plies together. Where in the world do you get plastic?

https://www.builddirect.com/learning...flooring-made/

https://www.woodco.com/news/laminate...ered-flooring/

Also, some factory finishes may look like plastic, but there is no plastic. And that doesn't change the fact that it's a wood floor.

https://monarchplank.com/blogs/news/...20(UV)%20light.

Engineered is wood. Period. End of sentence. You declaring it not makes no difference whatsoever. And no need to put quotes around engineered...that's what it is. Unless you know something that I don't, lol.

Lastly, matching the current wood that's on the floor and my dillemma in general has zero to do with the wood being engineered or solid. You can get unfinished engineered wood floor planks and cut them, it's wood so that's not an issue. However, it would make more sense to deal with prefinished products since that's what the house has and supposedly each manufacturer has a "proprietary finish".

Old 10-19-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
LOL, it's ok to be wrong, my friend. Engineered wood is constructed of plies glued together with a finish. Glue holds the plies together. Where in the world do you get plastic?

https://www.builddirect.com/learning...flooring-made/

https://www.woodco.com/news/laminate...ered-flooring/

Also, some factory finishes may look like plastic, but there is no plastic. And that doesn't change the fact that it's a wood floor.

https://monarchplank.com/blogs/news/...20(UV)%20light.

Engineered is wood. Period. End of sentence. You declaring it not makes no difference whatsoever. And no need to put quotes around engineered...that's what it is. Unless you know something that I don't, lol.

Lastly, matching the current wood that's on the floor and my dillemma in general has zero to do with the wood being engineered or solid. You can get unfinished engineered wood floor planks and cut them, it's wood so that's not an issue. However, it would make more sense to deal with prefinished products since that's what the house has and supposedly each manufacturer has a "proprietary finish".
Are you trying to tell me there's no plastic in engineered wood flooring?

You send a link that at the very top has three bullet points, one of which is "acrylic impregnated." I suppose you are unaware that acrylic is a plastic. So is urethane which shows up in the longer version of one link. I didn't bother looking beyond the first marketing piece you offered, it's immaterial unless it says acrylic and urethane are not plastic, as are many resins that hold it all together. That's okay, it's all right to be wrong.

You came here asking for advice and you didn't like what you received. That's okay too but there's no need to lash out. The board is here not just for your convenience but to inform others who may be looking to get involved in something similar also. It's okay that they may be interested in avoiding the problem you created for yourself.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:51 PM

19,631 posts, read 22,496,269 times
We had what was called random width oak flooring in a previous house. 3 different widths. Originally the entire first floor except the kitchen which was tile. We hated the tile so we ripped it up and ran the same oak down. There was 2-3 years between them, and the new floor took the stain and blended nicely.

Random widths can look cool.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House