Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2020, 01:47 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to do a kitchen remodel and are having a hard time finding cabinets. Either everything is ridiculously expensive or there are only like 3 options to choose from. Thinking of getting a quote from Ultimo / Tuscan Hills which is available through Costco and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 02:28 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Why not start locally?

https://www.houzz.com/professionals/...s/c/Austin--TX

Old 10-20-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
We have. Either they are all crazy expensive and out-of-budget or they offer like 3 door styles. I did get a quote and design from one place that I liked and was reasonably priced, but after the initial consultation, they've been incredibly difficult to work with, and frankly, I don't want to deal with them any more. They say they are going to do something, and it takes weeks of me emailing and calling before they actually respond. Example - they were supposed to order me some samples a few weeks ago (that I paid for, BTW). Hadn't received them, so I sent an email. No response. Sent another email. No response. Finally called, and they never ordered them. It's been like this for literally everything. They are also back tracking on the quote they gave me.

So here I am, looking at other options that won't break the bank and with more selection than this color shaker or that color shaker.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:53 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Depending on how handy you are, you might consider "knock down" cabinets, which are essentially cabinets that you have to assemble. There are plenty of online retailers with wide assortments of styles. Assembly is no more difficult that putting together furniture from IKEA.

Also consider having a home improvement store do your measuring. Most charge a minimal fee for this service, but you'll get a professional measuring job done that you can use for anyone whom you might want a quote from. Some home improvement stores don't like to give you the measurement data, but if you pay for it, it's yours, so demand a copy.

If you're not installing yourself, find a local cabinet company and ask if they will quote the installation. If there people aren't busy 100% of the time jobs like this can fill the void for them.

RM

Old 10-20-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Depending on how handy you are, you might consider "knock down" cabinets, which are essentially cabinets that you have to assemble. There are plenty of online retailers with wide assortments of styles. Assembly is no more difficult that putting together furniture from IKEA.

Also consider having a home improvement store do your measuring. Most charge a minimal fee for this service, but you'll get a professional measuring job done that you can use for anyone whom you might want a quote from. Some home improvement stores don't like to give you the measurement data, but if you pay for it, it's yours, so demand a copy.

If you're not installing yourself, find a local cabinet company and ask if they will quote the installation. If there people aren't busy 100% of the time jobs like this can fill the void for them.

RM
We have already had professional measuring done. We also have a professional design done. We are not changing the layout of the kitchen, so it will be basically what we have now with some minor changes (drawers in some spots instead of cabinets, etc). Our contractor has given us a very reasonable quote for installation. We really just need to find the actual cabinets. I've looked everywhere locally, and like I said, they are either custom made and crazy expensive (we really don't need or want custom) or they have very few door styles to choose from - usually shaker, flat front (slab), and one that's really ornate - none of which appeal to us.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:47 PM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
What is your budget for the cabinets?

Old 10-20-2020, 05:35 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
We have. Either they are all crazy expensive and out-of-budget or they offer like 3 door styles. I did get a quote and design from one place that I liked and was reasonably priced, but after the initial consultation, they've been incredibly difficult to work with, and frankly, I don't want to deal with them any more. They say they are going to do something, and it takes weeks of me emailing and calling before they actually respond. Example - they were supposed to order me some samples a few weeks ago (that I paid for, BTW). Hadn't received them, so I sent an email. No response. Sent another email. No response. Finally called, and they never ordered them. It's been like this for literally everything. They are also back tracking on the quote they gave me.

So here I am, looking at other options that won't break the bank and with more selection than this color shaker or that color shaker.

You’re not saying anything I haven’t already heard. COVID has put a lot of manufacturing behind, and this current explosion of material costs have a lot of manufacturers and independent shops changing prices, and delivery times.

If you can hold off for awhile- I would. Let the “crisis” subside and hopefully manufacturing, prices, and availability of materials will return to normal.

*as a side note, the biggest material shortage due to COVID directly has been PT. However, regular building materials and material for plywood have been interrupted somewhat due to COVID, but there is a bigger speculation that the shortage is due to sabotage/arson from environmental nut jobs.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
What is your budget for the cabinets?
I'd like to stay under $25K. It's a relatively large kitchen. Definitely want 42" cabinets with crown molding, also want some options, like pull out shelves and utensil drawers. We have a corner that is currently like a black hole. We'd like one of those pull out shelves for corner cabinets in there. The other option is a lazy Susan which I'm not a huge fan of, and we've discovered doesn't really fit in the space as it leaves an awkward size space between the sink and corner (kind of hard to explain, but it messes up the standard measurements/sizes).

Old 10-20-2020, 10:59 PM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
You can check out Barker Cabinets.
https://www.barkercabinets.com/Default.asp

They are RTA (ready to assemble) but have a few different style cabinets choices and finishes. The good thing about them is you can get custom sizes on the cabinets as well. The potentially bad thing, depending on when you need the cabinets, is the 12-15 week lead time for painted cabinets currently. What I like about them is the ability to get custom sizes instead of other RTA manufacturers that only have the 4-5 standard sizes for cabinets. Also, all made in the USA instead of OUS.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
You can check out Barker Cabinets.
https://www.barkercabinets.com/Default.asp

They are RTA (ready to assemble) but have a few different style cabinets choices and finishes. The good thing about them is you can get custom sizes on the cabinets as well. The potentially bad thing, depending on when you need the cabinets, is the 12-15 week lead time for painted cabinets currently. What I like about them is the ability to get custom sizes instead of other RTA manufacturers that only have the 4-5 standard sizes for cabinets. Also, all made in the USA instead of OUS.
Thanks. I'll check it out. That seems to be the pretty standard lead time for everyone right now.

The Tuscan Hills cabinets available through Costco have really good reviews online. And they look like pretty solid construction. I have a virtual appointment with them next week. Can't hurt to get a quote. But historically, I've learned that Costco isn't always the least expensive option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House