Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2020, 07:44 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times

Advertisements

Hey guys - I’m starting up a new project - taking kitchen cabinets up to the ceiling with decorative glass doors. I’m building off of the existing semi-custom cabinets.

I have under cabinet lighting now that is 20 years old - fluorescent, than run off a wall dimmer and direct wired into the house power supply. I want to convert to dimming LED lights. I want to keep the direct wiring aspect, not wanting a setup with them plugging into an outlet.

I understand the need for a direct wire conversion box, but I am struggling to find lights that I think are compatible with the converter box (only two I have found are either GE or Honeywell).

Is this a brand specific thing - where if I use the GE box I’m stuck with only GE products, and same for Honeywell?

Anyone cross this bridge before that can shed some, um, light on this one for me?

I am going to expand the lighting to also do the new glass cabinets up top and light them up. I will run a 12/2 hardwire up to that area off the existing under the cabinets coming from the wall.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 08:04 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
There are several options...
Here’s one example-

https://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips...RoCeK0QAvD_BwE

LED’s come in several sizes, lumens, colors, lengths, knowing and understanding the differences will help narrow down your options.

The example above comes with a power cord that has a built-in DC rectifier. But you don’t have to use the power cord. You could direct wire the rectifier inside a two gang box. I’ve done cabinets this way. I’ve also tapped the dishwasher or disposal circuit and run wire to the top of the cabinets and used a transformer box set on top.

Since you’re going to the ceiling- that most likely wouldn’t work- but there are other options; like having the j-box in a base (sink) cabinet- wiring up through the back wall. Power and wiring have many options- picking the right LED strip(s) is much more complicated- along with accessories to connect it all together!

Old 10-24-2020, 10:30 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
LED transformers are small enough to hide behind a valence on the bottom of the upper cabinets. Hard wire it into a pancake box and run the low voltage wiring to wherever you want the LED strips.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:38 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
We installed these
LED 3-COMPLETE
And compatible dimmer switches
https://www.lutron.com/en-US/Product.../Overview.aspx

Very happy with both

Old 10-25-2020, 06:30 AM

346 posts, read 358,564 times
We completed our kitchen renovation a few months ago and used these for under cabinet lights. Our electrician found them easy to install. They are bright, dimmable and a warm white light. https://www.amazon.com/American-Ligh..._dp&th=1&psc=1

Old 10-30-2020, 05:32 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
Thanks guys!!! Thanks for the link K’!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House