Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 05:11 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,542,144 times

Advertisements

Hey OP...read the manual!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 06:13 PM

24,245 posts, read 10,556,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
We live in interesting times. People in the wealthiest nation on Earth, with access to more knowledge than ever via the Internet, are now unable to change a lightbulb.
Easiest solution - get new microwave. Other solution have your son who lives with you do it. Next solution ask the HOA handyman to do it.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:01 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,218,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Hey OP...read the manual!

Manual has no specific information on light bulb replacement.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:04 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,218,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Neither of those would give me pause. If you understand basic electronics and electricity, those are self-explanatory and relatively safe. Torx screws keep casual opening by kids at a minimum, and torx have their own other advantages. The real dangers are in the high voltage appliances and ones that use large capacitors. I might think hard before fiddling with electrostatic air cleaners and fans, but most other stuff is far less dangerous.

Most microwave ovens use T-20 or T-25 security screws. If the microwave company didn't want anyone opening the cover, they would use exclusive, proprietary screws.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:29 AM

23,563 posts, read 70,166,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Most microwave ovens use T-20 or T-25 security screws. If the microwave company didn't want anyone opening the cover, they would use exclusive, proprietary screws.
Right. Bye.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:40 PM

15,756 posts, read 20,352,806 times
Can you give us a model number of the microwave so we can take a look? Perhaps the internet has an exploded diagram somewhere showing the exact way this thing comes apart. Short of specific info like that, you've just going to get a bunch of posts stating "this is easy". Pulling up an model number or an exploded diagram might shed some light as to what is tricky about this microwave.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:58 PM

2,571 posts, read 2,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I am not familiar with the CSA, UL, EN or equivalent safety certification codes for microwaves specifically, but I can tell you that the safety certifications for other electrical equipment that I do know about, requires that access to dangerous areas require use of a tool. I would be surprised if the manufacturer would use security Torx fasteners on the access to the interior light bulb, unless they had been required to by the certification body. Note that in appliances like electric ovens, lamps, and refrigerators the interior light bulb is accessible without the use of tools.

On our microwave - a Kenmore over-the-stove microwave/hood combo - no tools are needed for the interior bulb, just fingers.

You open the door, slide the plastic grill that covers the top of the unit to the left to unclasp it and remove. Below that is a bulb holder, which lifts out. Pop in a new bulb and slide the plastic grill back on.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:54 PM

17,447 posts, read 65,806,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
On our microwave - a Kenmore over-the-stove microwave/hood combo - no tools are needed for the interior bulb, just fingers.

You open the door, slide the plastic grill that covers the top of the unit to the left to unclasp it and remove. Below that is a bulb holder, which lifts out. Pop in a new bulb and slide the plastic grill back on.

Wouldn’t it be easier to just pay somebody to put a new micro in? It comes with a warranty- does a light bulb?

Wink, wink; nod, nod!!!

Old 10-29-2020, 10:55 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,195,404 times
At one time I worked on exploded drawings for microwave manuals, and got to know the repair technician. I can’t imagine a lightbulb not being replaceable. But this was an American made machine with all safeties in place. He showed my how to open up parts and actually “dust” them to keep the keypad working. And I did have to do that often in one microwave I had.

Is this microwave in question not made in America? Have you tried customer service for this question? I just can’t imagine a light bulb being put in place where it can’t be changed by the consumer.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:31 AM

4,370 posts, read 4,334,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Wouldn’t it be easier to just pay somebody to put a new micro in? It comes with a warranty- does a light bulb?

Wink, wink; nod, nod!!!
Whew!!! Glad I read on down to the wink, wink. For a second there I was thinking "What happened to KB"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House