Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 08:40 AM

51 posts, read 233,325 times

Advertisements

Has anyone installed solar power on their house? Have heard many bad results on savings vs cost. Looking to maybe install on my house in south central Pa. but am unsure due to some non satisfactory reports. Advertising is all over and promises massive savings but as we all know companies will say anything to sell their product,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 01:02 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Here’s a start-

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...ar-system.html

Old 10-28-2020, 03:38 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Yes and our savings are spot on fantastic.

I've tracked our electric usage for years. We flipped the switch last October/November. The power company had to set up a new 'start date' on the grid tied system so we wound up with one billing that encompassed almost two billing periods, but you can see the drop in usage.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:13 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yes and our savings are spot on fantastic.

I've tracked our electric usage for years. We flipped the switch last October/November. The power company had to set up a new 'start date' on the grid tied system so we wound up with one billing that encompassed almost two billing periods, but you can see the drop in usage.
Same with us. Early October we made the switch. I plan on creating a similar graph showing our total cost and usage savings. Our will be opposite of yours though with our biggest savings in the summer months.

Too the OP I think it really boils down to state by state and utility to utility. Those are the two biggest factors that determine 1. Usage need (high, low or moderate) and 2. Price (does your utility charge and average of 12 -16 cents per kWh or 30 cents per kWh?)

We are in a high usage and high price area so our break even is less than 6 years and going solar is a total no-brainer.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Same with us. Early October we made the switch. I plan on creating a similar graph showing our total cost and usage savings. Our will be opposite of yours though with our biggest savings in the summer months.

Too the OP I think it really boils down to state by state and utility to utility. Those are the two biggest factors that determine 1. Usage need (high, low or moderate) and 2. Price (does your utility charge and average of 12 -16 cents per kWh or 30 cents per kWh?)

We are in a high usage and high price area so our break even is less than 6 years and going solar is a total no-brainer.
Yeah our breakeven looks like 10 years which is still a no-brainer. Especially with the 30% tax credit and the state incentives we had. The state has a very low interest loan program for solar. We took full advantage of it- we financed all of it.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:29 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
You need to do some homework.

1) What is your average electrical cost? General rule it's worth putting it in once it's over $150 but that is not always the case.

2) How much is the cost to install it(do not lease the panels)
3) Does your electric company compensate you for excess power that your system produces , usually in the summer?
4) How long is your break even point?
5) What is the panel warranty?
6) How is your roof, will it soon need to be replaced? If so do it before considering panels otherwise how much to remove/install the panels once you do need to change the roof.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:10 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yeah our breakeven looks like 10 years which is still a no-brainer. Especially with the 30% tax credit and the state incentives we had. The state has a very low interest loan program for solar. We took full advantage of it- we financed all of it.
We didn't have state incentives but did take advantage of the 30% tax credit. We installed last October. We just got our first annual True Up bill and it's negative $124. I know the kWh balance gets reset but I'm not 100% sure what happens to the -$124 balance. I'm waiting to see the next bill but I would assume that negative balance just gets carried over to the next bill. If that is the case, it could literally be 10 years till we have to pay a dime out to our utility other than the $10 monthly hook up charge.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I think with the proper know how and help it’s a do it yourself project but never on the roof
You could save a bundle but not by hiring solar hustlers

Old 10-29-2020, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I think with the proper know how and help it’s a do it yourself project but never on the roof
You could save a bundle but not by hiring solar hustlers
We're very fortunate- there is a very trusted local solar company (and this is not a big city) that does projects of all sizes- residential, municipal buildings, commercial. His proposal was extremely detailed, we discussed solar panel efficiency vs. price and we came up with an awesome deal.

I would say a grid tied system is not exactly a DIY project either.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:59 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Build the biggest array your roof can accommodate that is my advice. My roof has only 1/2 covered and only able to generate about 75% of my usage. But it pays dividend now I work from home and the power I generate is being used rather than sent back to the Utility company.

I much rather use what I generate than get pennies on sending unused power back.

During peak usage summer I had AC and running all my work at home paying only $70/month mainly for all the fees, taxes, and surcharges and actual consumption was only around $20. Since I don't have any surpluses my winter months may actually cost more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House