Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 04:25 PM

26 posts, read 16,828 times

Advertisements

Also I already spent way too much on various projects for the house. I rather not spend another 10-20k on a landscaper. It feels like a money pit and the projects never end. I was hoping to get some free advice here and then pay my gardeners to implement it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 04:27 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by house2020house View Post
I just don’t like the brown/red tones that match the brick. So option is to leave the gray stucco with the red brick or paint the brick white to reduce the total colors of the house to two: gray and white and help bring the whole thing together.
It doesn’t look like you’ve even finished the painting. I didn’t mind the tan garage door color that you sent (that was with the white garage door) and think that would probably look good with the brick. We have that scheme a lot in my neighborhood and it looks nice. Add in a brown/wood-tone garage door and I think it would look better. The issue now is that you look like you have a bunker with this extreme white trim. However, you seem to be intent upon having this gray and white theme, even though it seems to clash with both the roof and the brick.

Old 12-07-2020, 04:42 PM

26 posts, read 16,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It doesn’t look like you’ve even finished the painting. I didn’t mind the tan garage door color that you sent (that was with the white garage door) and think that would probably look good with the brick. We have that scheme a lot in my neighborhood and it looks nice. Add in a brown/wood-tone garage door and I think it would look better. The issue now is that you look like you have a bunker with this extreme white trim. However, you seem to be intent upon having this gray and white theme, even though it seems to clash with both the roof and the brick.
My goal was to reduce number of colors. The flat roof is white and the roof trim is white and the vinyl fence is white. Did you mean it clashes with the pitched roof where the brick is? It seems like painting the brick white would solve the main problem of the stucco not matching the brick. Then I will have just two colors total and it will tie in the white brick on the left side with the white trim/white garage door/white vinyl fence on the right. Understand the drawbacks of painting brick but maybe in this case its worth it?

Old 12-07-2020, 04:43 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,426,807 times
Quote:
Also I already spent way too much on various projects for the house. I rather not spend another 10-20k on a landscaper. It feels like a money pit and the projects never end. I was hoping to get some free advice here and then pay my gardeners to implement it
Go to your county extension agent and at least get some in-person advice on how to have the shrubs pruned in a manner that will both complement the house and not destroy the plants. Take some really good close-up pictures of the plants and shrubs with you to assist them with advice. If you are thinking of changing out the plants then get a soil test first so you can get a basis for choosing different plants for those locations, as well as the amount of sun in those spots and average rainfall.

Old 12-07-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I just don’t like the brown/red tones that match the brick. So option is to leave the gray stucco with the red brick or paint the brick white to reduce the total colors of the house to two: gray and white and help bring the whole thing together.
No, having gray and white won't bring the whole thing together. You're just going to exchange a brick and tan stucco color scheme for a gray and white, or brick color scheme. The house will still look like two separate sections jammed together, only now they will look like more "modern" juxtaposition (i.e., mishmash). The best way to make the house look cohesive is to paint the tan stucco a color that harmonizes with the brick, such as a soft rust or rust brown. That will blend the two sections nicely, IMHO.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:51 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
I rather not spend another 10-20k on a landscaper... I was hoping to get some free advice
Because you are penny wise and pound foolish.
I am saying: get advice for a few hundred dollars

Old 12-07-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
This. There may be nurseries that will give you advice for under $100. I know that’s the case where I am. We also have an arboretum that gives free advice, but right now that is by email/phone only due to the pandemic. Still, there are probably places available everywhere that can give advice for free or a low cost. It certainly isn’t going to cost $20K.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I can't send you reps again, so here:

Old 12-10-2020, 08:51 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
thought you may be interested in a before and after on the garage door since i just replaced mine. costs subsgtantially more than a paint job though.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
thought you may be interested in a before and after on the garage door since i just replaced mine. costs subsgtantially more than a paint job though.
It looks good! The OP had previously suggested getting a new garage door with a wood look. I think that brown would tie things together more. The OP only needs one door and is now proposing to paint the brick too. I think that the painting would end up being more expensive than a new garage door along with changing the landscaping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House