Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 09:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Right?

I always enjoy seeing people spruce up their homes. Show me that there is some pride in their ownership and that is a GOOD thing.
everyone has a right to do whatever they like to their homes as far as im concerned. i like to see them updated or restored or whatever to improve them. i find it annoying for someone to come in and try to demean people for it while they have their 60's house that probably looks like crap and was probably the trendy follower thing to do in the 60's anyway. tastes change over time and if people want to keep up with it then i see no reason to pretend that they are doing something wrong.

my brother lives in a town where builders will buy an old broken down house and tear it down and built a fancy new house. it seems the general goal is to make something more modern but still fit a certain look for the town. i havent seen any white with black trim houses there. as far as i know, that look qualifies as different anywhere ive been.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 10-31-2020 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 09:28 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Your house looks like 2 distinctly different houses glued together.
My advice.
Hire an architect on an hourly basis to give you some ideas for improving the overall look.
The cost should only be $400.
Do a lot of planning before making changes.

I think less concrete would be a huge improvement.
This is the best advice. The other piece of good advice is not to paint your brick.

I don’t like the black/white color scheme for your house. In ten years it will look dated, and you will have to confront the fact that you have painted your brick and it is hard to undo that. Your house is in a specific desert or warm climate environment? It needs to look like it belongs there, if I am correct about that.

Don’t do anything without a plan. Get professional advice. Keep your house’s basic character. That’s my advice.

Old 10-31-2020, 09:49 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree.

I think natural brick is timeless.
Yes, I like natural brick, if you live in an English country estate, leave it alone. In a suburban house, many neighbors have remodeled and improved their exterior. There is reason to let your house just sit there and look dated.

To be honest, if I was looking at this house as a buyer, the choppy front is not attractive and I’d be wondering how much it would cost to improve the exterior. Just because a builder decided to use two different finishes, shouldn’t make it untouchable. Maybe the builder had bad taste.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:37 AM

19,616 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Yes, I like natural brick, if you live in an English country estate, leave it alone. In a suburban house, many neighbors have remodeled and improved their exterior. There is reason to let your house just sit there and look dated.

To be honest, if I was looking at this house as a buyer, the choppy front is not attractive and I’d be wondering how much it would cost to improve the exterior. Just because a builder decided to use two different finishes, shouldn’t make it untouchable. Maybe the builder had bad taste.
That is why posters have suggested painting the stucco to blend more with the brick and muting the trim color.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:46 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,060 times
Quote:
That is why posters have suggested painting the stucco to blend more with the brick and muting the trim color.
This is an average suburban house, improving it should be fun and all ideas should be considered. If they want to paint any part of the house, it’s up to them, but painting this brick is not destroying a national treasure, it’s a section of inexpensive brick that simply looks dated..

Old 10-31-2020, 12:15 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,836,221 times
I would start with removing overgrown landscape material. Find the house under the old bushes. Then look at it again. Take baby steps.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:24 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
This is an average suburban house, improving it should be fun and all ideas should be considered. If they want to paint any part of the house, it’s up to them, but painting this brick is not destroying a national treasure, it’s a section of inexpensive brick that simply looks dated..
Painted brick usually turns me off because, well, you have to KEEP painting it. Really the only time I'm in favor of it is if the original brickwork is just downright ugly. And dated does not equal ugly.

Old 10-31-2020, 01:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
I would paint the stucco area a dark russet color so that it blends with the brick. Maybe paint the white trim at the top a nice tan color.

I definitely would not paint the house white, that would make the problem worse.

Old 10-31-2020, 01:51 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,708,831 times
Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree.

I think natural brick is timeless.
I agree with you. I think those pics of the "limewashed"/painted brick look incredibly boring.

I like minimalist/modern and gray tones, but those exterior pictures don't do anything for me.

Old 10-31-2020, 02:27 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,891,915 times
I think the brick looks handsome and it appears to be very good condition as is. Actually in SoCa unpainted brick facades are fairly uncommon, you’ll see plenty of painted brick on the West Side LA Regency style homes from the ‘30s and ‘40s. I agree with others not to paint it.

What makes this home unusual and pretty cool to my eyes are the battered walls at the garage and far brick end at the other side which visually connect the disparate wall cladding and provide at least a somewhat cohesive design theme to work with. I would play that up by trimming the landscaping and grabbing a earthy tone from the brick to paint the stucco to tie the different building forms together.

The white painted beams and parapet cap on the stucco look harsh to my eyes, I would grab a softer beige such as the hipped roof soffit or other earthy tone to tie all those horizontals together. Ditch the curliecue wrought iron entry gate (belongs on a Regency or New Orleans balcony) for a custom, tall stained or painted wooden gate incorporated into a vertical angled slot fence design (think of a sideways opened jalousie window) which would look very cool and appropriate for the architecture and also bring some fun vertical elements to the otherwise low-slung ranch design. And to finish it off attempt by either color or materials to bring the new entry fence/gate design over to the now vinyl service gate and fence at the back of the driveway turnaround.

Edit:
It is these style vertical wooden elements at this house to which I am referring as an inspiration to your entry courtyard fence and gate. I would also rethink the landscaping (and lighting fixtures) to get away from the English rose garden and hedge look to a more spare and architectural MCM style as is illustrated here to play up your strong simple building forms.

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by T. Damon; 10-31-2020 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House