Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 02:06 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How many have a generator backup built into their system. We do.
It kept two home offices plus the rest of life going for all of last week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 03:14 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Clicky things?

Some gas-fired ovens have a way to light with a match. I had one, but it was very old - the burners had pilot lights, but the oven did not. Not sure about modern gas ovens.

Clicky thing - It's a BiC lighter usually used for bar-b-q. It makes a clicky noise when you pull the trigger.

Old 11-01-2020, 03:15 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post

Those who prefer electric - why?
Concerned about fire.

Old 11-01-2020, 03:16 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Modern gas ovens can't be lit with a match as they use a glow-bar ignitor instead of a pilot light.
I wondered about that - thanks. The last gas stove I owned had electronic ignition, but I could still light the oven with a match. Whoosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Clicky thing - It's a BiC lighter usually used for bar-b-q. It makes a clicky noise when you pull the trigger.
Well, yes, I know ( hence the ), but most people just call them "lighters".

Old 11-01-2020, 04:40 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Not many are aware, but burning gas inside a home creates health hazards.

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist....-alternatives/

In addition every gallon of gas burned creates 4 gallons or so of moisture vapor- bad for areas of a high humidity- mold, hard on a/c, etc.

Cooking style could be adjusted in traditional (non-induction)electric vs gas: starts slower, but cooks gentler, more consistent temperature, could be shut off earlier to take an advantage of a residual heat.
Safer as natural gas infrastructure in older parts of the country is crumbling
Yes, and some of us remember how San Bruno, CA went boom.

Old 11-01-2020, 04:43 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Have you ever watch how the Chinese stirfry in a wok ?
They need gas stove so they can control the heat.
Chinese restaurants can turn out their dishes so fast is because they precut the meat and veggies and stirfry in a wok on a burner which can go up to 30,000 BTU,cheap cut of meat can taste great.
It could also burn down the kitchen !
No, we don't touch the stuff, but if it makes you happy, go for it.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:55 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
I am currently looking at condos, and most have electric ovens and ranges. Many have the option to go gas. I looked at a unit today, and asked the realtor why people choose electric when gas is an option, and he shrugged and said he thought it was personal preference.

I have lived with gas my entire life, until about 6 yrs ago when I started renting this apt, which is elec. I can still cook, don't get me wrong, but I much prefer gas. It seems easier to control the heat, and the burners seem more steady/stable.

Those who prefer electric - why?
I have lived with electric my entire life. I am not comfortable with gas cooking.

Just last year a house a few miles from me had the gas range explode, and that was the end of that house.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:23 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
most people don't get to choose gas or electric for the kitchen. they find a place to live based on other factors, and they get what they get in the kitchen. i prefer not to have gas anything due to safety.

regarding the post somewhere in the thread that gas and a wok is needed for cooking Chinese food, i disagree. I have cooked Chinese food for decades, and most of that time was NOT in a wok. I cooked seven course Chinese dinners for family and entertaining business associates which took several days in advance to prepare. I also worked in a Chinese restaurant and learned to prepare dishes and developed a taste and appreciation for delicious flavors and seasoning. Wok not needed when cooking in the home. The cook is what makes delicious Chinese food. Not the pan.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-01-2020 at 08:33 PM..

Old 11-01-2020, 08:35 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have lived with electric my entire life. I am not comfortable with gas cooking.

Just last year a house a few miles from me had the gas range explode, and that was the end of that house.
An acquaintance stepped away from the fry pan to take a brief phone call, the pan caught fire, the house burned down. She was preparing a holiday meal. Some holiday.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:27 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I cannot tell the difference at all between something cooked on gas or electric, and I do not have any gas to my home nor any condo I ever lived in for the last 30 years, so I use electric.

Growing up, we had a gas but also had two electric stove tops, never knew the difference if something was cooked on one or the other.
It doesn't affect the outcome, but the actual process of cooking is much different. I hate cooking on electric. Takes forever to heat up and cool down. If I want to turn the heat down, it's immediate on gas. With electric, I have to wait and take the pan of the burner while I wait etc. It's a PITA to cook on electric. I'll never have it again.

With that said, baking in an electric oven is much better than gas. Much more even heat. That's why duel fuel ranges are a thing. Luckily, I have wall ovens that are electric and a gas cooktop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House