Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 06:22 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times

Advertisements

Fine
Just a few, here or there
Yes
Painted, no. Primed, probably
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 08:23 AM

137 posts, read 102,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Fine
Just a few, here or there
Yes
Painted, no. Primed, probably
Is this No 2 Common pine of a particular TYPE-such as the Spruce/Pine/Fir: SPF combo you talked about earlier?

Thank you so much for your patience and sharing your knowledge.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:30 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Pine. Not spruce or fir, if it's #2 common pine. Pine.

I still don't understand why you would take perfectly good wood and cover it with aluminum flashing so it can retain water, harbor insects, etc. Why not just leave it exposed, so you can repaint it when needed and if rot does occur, you can take action quickly because you can see?

Weird.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:36 AM

178 posts, read 82,521 times
Anytype of pine will be good. And great if covered with coil stock. And is the normal standard.

If it is wrapped I still like to do a quick primer coat even if it is not needed.

Other options like PVC is only better if just painting and dont no wrap with coil stock.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:08 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringOne View Post
Is this No 2 Common pine of a particular TYPE-such as the Spruce/Pine/Fir: SPF combo you talked about earlier?

Thank you so much for your patience and sharing your knowledge.

“SPF” is an industry acronym for any “conifer” derived lumber. Whether it be dimensional lumber or engineered lumber.
Though most of the SPF lumber found in the US is from Canada, some maybe from the US. Either way, it’s a conifer.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:47 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Pine. Not spruce or fir, if it's #2 common pine. Pine.

I still don't understand why you would take perfectly good wood and cover it with aluminum flashing so it can retain water, harbor insects, etc. Why not just leave it exposed, so you can repaint it when needed and if rot does occur, you can take action quickly because you can see?

Weird.
The reason the wood usually always get covered is because the fascia break metal forms the lower edge to support the aluminum or vinyl soffit material. If properly clad and slipped under the drip edge with the proper shingle projection, water will not get to the wood and it’s a standard fascia detail.

Old 11-04-2020, 03:37 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
OK, well, I'm not up to date on current construction details. The only houses I've had with enclosed soffits had plywood soffit, the board on the wall was wood, the boards all along the edges of the rafters were wood. Nothing enclosed in metal except where squirrels would stand in the gutter and gnaw on the corners, I put some galvanized flashing there. If the painted wood needed painting it was dead easy to see that it needed painting.

Sounds like overcomplicating something, frankly.

Old 11-04-2020, 03:53 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
OK, well, I'm not up to date on current construction details. The only houses I've had with enclosed soffits had plywood soffit, the board on the wall was wood, the boards all along the edges of the rafters were wood. Nothing enclosed in metal except where squirrels would stand in the gutter and gnaw on the corners, I put some galvanized flashing there. If the painted wood needed painting it was dead easy to see that it needed painting.

Sounds like overcomplicating something, frankly.
Actually simplified since most new homes have exteriors that are almost completely maintenance free and instead of painting, it’s been replaced with power washing the exterior of the house, when needed.

Just finishing up a Habitat house now and there is absolutely no exposed exterior wood, at all.

Old 11-04-2020, 05:02 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringOne View Post
Just got word late yesterday that the replacement board would be
No. 2 Common Pine 1 x 3/4" thick.

What is your opinion of that? How knotty is it?
Is it a durable exterior wood that would be appropriate for the fascia repair?

Does this have to be painted BEFORE it is wrapped in aluminum?

I did measure the exposed wood and it is 3/4" thick, but have no idea of length as not enough is visible.

If the wrapping with aluminum is done correctly, it doesn't much matter what wood they use. Except treated. The chemicals in treated wood will cause accelerated corrosion of the aluminum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House