Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:12 AM

194 posts, read 1,028,248 times

Advertisements

It kept me up the whole night. It started around 2 am and it's 11 am now. My head is about to explode. I thinks it's an electrical one but I don't know anything about doorbells . Can someone tell me what could be wrong with it or at least how to turn this thing off. I'm getting crazy up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 11:21 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,593 times
to stop it, pull the cover and disconnect the wires. To fix it, more complicated as you probably have a short or something somewhere. But disconnecting the wires will shut it up long enough for your head to recover and someone else to diagnose

Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
One of the doorbell buttons is probably stuck in the pushed position. Somehow you have a complete circuit. About the only way it can happen under normal circumstances.

Take the button out, inspect it, if sticky lube it, might have to be replaced if defective.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Is it hardwired or infrared type deal? We had some friends that had a similar problem and it turned out their neighbors had the same doorbell and when someone rang the doorbell it would ring at both houses.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:34 PM

Default Yes but.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Is it hardwired or infrared type deal? We had some friends that had a similar problem and it turned out their neighbors had the same doorbell and when someone rang the doorbell it would ring at both houses.
Why would it keep ringing?????

Some how you have to have a complete circuit.

Bout the only suspect that completes the circuit is the button. Course you could have some fancy wireless critter that has gone bananas and thinks the Prize Patrol is coming.

Just check all the pushbuttons for starters.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:45 PM

194 posts, read 1,028,248 times
Thanks to all that replied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post

Just check all the pushbuttons for starters.
I did that but it's ok.

So if I want to disconnect the wires, can I get shocked I know it might be a stupid question, but I really don't know anything about that stuff and I don't want to risk anything since I'm pregnant..........and this seems the easiest thing to do right now.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:50 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
That happened to me when I was a teenager. I was at home alone in my parents HUGE dark house. The front door bell rang. Once I was into the front part of the house, I wasn't able to hear that it was still ringing so I am going to the door expecting to find someone, of course no one was there.

I go back to the den in the back of the house and sit down and it rings again. I go back to the front of the house to open the door and find no one there. I did that a couple times then went outside to look around to give someone a peice of my mind for knocking and running. Then I finally realized what was going on. I went through the breakers until I found the one that controlled the doorbell and turned it off.

What was funny was there were three doors into the house that rang and each of them had a different ring so we would know where it was coming from. For some reason the short choose the front door ring to harp on, it almost drove me nuts until I realized I could look for the breaker to turn it off.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:55 PM

354 posts, read 2,075,531 times
most doorbells hold low voltages no mored than 24v if you were a good pair of rubber latex glove you should be fine if you disconnecting at the button. probly want to tape up the end for now until you figure out to fix the problem.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:25 PM

Default The safer way.......

Is as mentioned. Just go to the breaker panel and find the breaker that is feeding the step down transformer that supplies the door bell circuit. That breaker usually supplies other loads so note what they are.

Would work until you can have someone check out the problem. No wires or anything technical is involved. Just look in the listing for the door bell. If not listed, flip breakers off until it stops and you find the right one.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 60,310 times
I have a Butler doorbell that plays tunes. Mine does that from time to time & I've resolved it by changing the batteries. This time that didn't work & I've tried everything & think I've finally resolved it by blowing out the wired areas. I think a cobweb may have been the culprit. That's happened with a smoke alarm or I'd not have known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House