Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 09:02 PM

330 posts, read 268,388 times

Advertisements

So my home was built in 1996. Some of the windows have moisture in between the glass. I called a window company out and the guy gave about a 2 hour presentation with all of the different types of windows and types of glass.

It took him about 30 minutes to write up a quote of everything and it came to a total of $34,000 to replace all of the windows in a 1600 sq ft home.

He also said that the company could probably work with me on the price and if I act by today he can cut down on the price a little.

The windows in my house aren't big. They're pretty average. I would just like to know from your experience is this a good price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 09:08 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,068,447 times
$1,900 per window? I think not.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:16 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
It took him about 30 minutes to write up a quote of everything .

He also said that the company could probably work with me on the price and if I act by today he can cut down on the price a little.
^^^ lol... Oldest trick in the world.
I recommend that you contact few other companies and get bids on that work. Then compare the quotes.
Report back.

BTW:
Check the seal. Just a little bit of caulk could fix the problem.
https://glassdoctor.com/expert-tips/...n-window-panes
Even just replacing the glass would be much cheaper.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:32 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Impact glass? If not, hell no.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:36 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Shoot no.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:49 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
So my home was built in 1996. Some of the windows have moisture in between the glass. I called a window company out and the guy gave about a 2 hour presentation with all of the different types of windows and types of glass.

It took him about 30 minutes to write up a quote of everything and it came to a total of $34,000 to replace all of the windows in a 1600 sq ft home.

The windows in my house aren't big. They're pretty average. I would just like to know from your experience is this a good price?

Did you feel that?

That was me falling out of my chair LMAO! At least you had the forethought(???) to ask here before signing on the dotted line!

What kind of windows do you have currently?
Single hung
Double hung
Wood, aluminum, vinyl

And what is the exterior cladding around all of the windows?

Old 09-11-2020, 10:03 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Check the seal. Just a little bit of caulk could fix the problem.
What kind of answer is that?

Old 09-11-2020, 11:30 PM

404 posts, read 766,331 times
Lots of variables, but as others have said, $34k for windows for a 1600 sq. ft. (I assume single level?) home seems pretty outrageous.

I wanted to replace the windows in my house but the way the siding was installed made that impractical. I did get a quote though. For reference, the new windows themselves (mid-grade vinyl low-E glass from Home Depot) were an average of $200 each - for 48"x48" and 60"x60" sliders without grids.

My quote to just replace the glass to fix the blown seals in a few windows was 3x or 4x the cost of the entire new window from Home Depot, but included labor and materials. I certainly wasn't pleased at paying 3/4x the cost for what I considered to be an inferior overall solution, but the labor for replacement windows in my case would have been huge. So I got my broken windows fixed for around $1k, versus probably 15x that to get new windows installed.

I kind of kicked myself once it was done - the difference was so profound and the cost so relatively small that I was annoyed I hadn't gotten it done years ago.

Check locally for glass/mirror shops and ask if they do it - you should be able to get them to come out and give you a free quote, and then you'll have an option beyond replacing all the windows.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:

That’s a bs price. That’s a bs sales tactic also. High pressure too. Hell yeah he can work with you. Especially when he’s bending you over. He better work with you down to about 25% of that quote before you even start getting up to go get your checkbook in your bedroom.

Look man...go look at the windows. Is it just the movable section that’s leaking? That’s the lower sash and it’s replaceable. There should be a sticker on the casing or the sash somewhere or a imprint on the glass like a car window as that small brown writing showing the model brand and who made it.
Call the manufacturer. Sometimes they have a lifetime warranty on the pane assembly If they leak. If they don’t don’t....you can still buy the inserts or upper and lower sashes (the glass part that moves and the glass part that’s stationary ) and swap it out. Most of the time the frame doesn’t get replaced you replace the sashes not the casing. Especially if they aren’t retrofit windows.

Call a few glass shops. They usually can get replacement glass section and install it.

If theire retrofit the average cist if such windows are about 200 bucks 7nless you start going crazy with options like triple pane, built in louvre etc.
if it’s a retro window look for the screws they can be hidden by a plastic strip or little round sticky round caps on the vertical part of the casing (frame). Nader there there will be 2/3 screws on either side. Unscrew them. Pull the window and measure it. Order a new window. Level it Screw it back in. You should be able to fix yours.

This douche is trying to take you for a ride

Last edited by Electrician4you; 09-11-2020 at 11:59 PM..

Old 09-12-2020, 01:36 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
OP did he give you a 50 year 50,000 window washing extended warranty with his quote.
The salesman probably is working on a 20-25% commission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House