Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2020, 01:17 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Leaves are the homeowner responsibility to clean up so they don't become a neighborhood nuisance. I grind mine up to feed the lawn, or compost them.

Don't get me started on people who leave their lights on all night long. I happen to enjoy the dark and live in a sort of country environment. Yet people insist on leaving their lights on all night. Maybe they are coming and going at odd hours? Or leave them on for the paper guy who comes through around 3 a.m.

But the "security" argument? Not buying that unless you like lighting the way for the perps. Leaving lights on only serves to allow the robber a lighted way for his path. If you keep it dark, and HE has a light, then you can spot them instantly. Not that it really matters. A robber will be a robber. We had multiple cars broken into last year at one of the holidays. Christmas or New Years. Stole all kinds of money, guns, cell phone stuff and other electronics from multiple cars. Not a soul, with all their lights, deterred anything. There's your answer. Outside lights on all night do nothing to deter a thief. We did gets lots of pictures of the crooks....hoodies, dark trousers and not a face identifiable. Turn em off. Waste of energy. Save money. Nobody cares about your landscape lighting at 1 a.m.
Well, no one cares if you are buying it or not, it is a fact.

Lighting is a deterrent to many criminals. But as I mentioned, the lighting has to be placed properly, and in coordination with landscaping.

A criminal is not going to use a flashlight, lol, real life is not an ADT commercial.

Most criminals in this context are looking for crime of opportunity, so the point is to make your home a hard target so they go along to someone else.

The entire US military and security apparatus operates on the concept of "hard target". Bases, federal facilities, etc, all have strategically placed lighting and landscaping, barriers, cameras, etc.

People with guns, electronics, and money sitting in their cars are complete idiots, lol. Keeping those things in cars sure as hell is not going to deter a smash and grab, **** poor security is what it is. Also, who said all of this was for cars? This stuff is to keep people out of the home. Also, who said it prevents 100% of crime? Not ever have I seen stated that deterrent methods prevent crime 100%.

And again, zero care what you think about my landscape lights, I like them, that is the point, or you seriously think I spend my time and money trying to please you? And wasting money? If enjoying it, it is not a waste, and the money spent operating is trivial unless you make burger flipping wages.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 01:41 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Don’t you still need a light to see the people on a ring doorbell? I’ve seen a lot of dark blurry ring pictures. And a light might prevent them from choosing your house in the first place, and move on to a darker house.

And yes, your yard, your leaves, your job. Same with snow shoveling your sidewalk if you’re in the north.
Well do both. But I don't see why you wouldn't have a camera if you're concerned about security.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:46 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
How about just you do you and not worry about what others do or have concerns about?
Says the person who is worrying about my concerns and specifically addressing me. At least I'm not rudely calling out my neighbors.
Did it ever occur to you that their light shines in my windows at night. Or that maybe I want to know their reasons so I can decide if my lights need to be on or not? Of course you didnt.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:01 PM

743 posts, read 876,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, all this pointless lighting may appeal to you (screaming LOOK AT WHAT I OWN, AREN'T YOU IMPRESSED?) but that doesn't mean it appeals to your neighbors. Light is hard to contain. It spreads. Thank goodness many city codes and HOA covenants restrict outdoor night lighting. If you can't handle darkness, at least use fixtures that are low watt, directional or shielded so they light a minimal area, not the entire street. Regardless how much money an individual fixture might save, it is still wasted energy if no one is using the outdoor area at night. Trust me, many people who insist on illuminating their property do not have attractive landscaping worth showing off. Not only do their neighbors get to look at the view all day, they get to enjoy it all night too. No respite. Count me as one of those people who prefer (and make every attempt) not to live next to an airport runway.
This is soooo true! Where we used to live in a very rural neighborhood, our next door neighbors had zero landscaping. They had an acre of grass, a pile of dirt, and their house. They had their porch lights on, corner of their house spot lights and garage lights. Their spotlights used to light up our bedroom until all the trees we planted grew tall enough. The lady hated, yes hated trees. Trees bring birds she said. She hates birds. She would also drive top speed down the street. We called her driveway "the launch pad" since it was about 200ft long. Once she hit the pavement, she was doing at least 45 mph. Kids couldn't ride their bikes anymore because of her.

I am SO glad I don't live next to them anymore!

I agree with Parnassia.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:12 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Here everyone is burning a green light on their porches at night to virtue signal their support of the Democratic governor's coronavirus policies because he told them to...

Yes, it's a waste of electricity.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:16 PM

8,756 posts, read 5,050,099 times
OP....Yes you do need to rake the leaves, otherwise you will pay for it in the summer, with brown grass. As fas as lighting goes.....it`s really up to you, as long as the lights are not in your neighbors window.
We once had a neighbor, across the street, that had a spot light over his driveway. For some reason, it would blink, all the time. It was really annoying, coming through the bedroom window.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:33 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
I'm curious how many people on this thread complaining about the lighting of neighbors' houses are out in the country vs in a suburban setting. I've lived my whole life in the suburbs. Being closer to others and dealing with their light and noise is just part of suburban life. I've never expected to have it be pitch black outside. That's what curtains are for.
Yea out in the middle of nowhere I can see not needing to have outside lights on all night but in a suburban neighborhood it doesn't bother me at all.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:50 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Here everyone is burning a green light on their porches at night to virtue signal their support of the Democratic governor's coronavirus policies because he told them to...

Yes, it's a waste of electricity.
Some are so desperate to make political comments about apolitical topics that they go ahead whether they know what they are talking about or not. The only reference to such a thing to be found was this article. The dreaded boogie man of "virtue signaling" appears nowhere within - it's all about supporting one's neighbors.

Gov. Andy Beshear ordered the Governor’s Mansion to be lit green to honor Kentuckians who have died from COVID-19 and has encouraged citizens across the state to do the same. Some Kentuckians are participating, using it as a way to show others “we are all in this together.”

https://www.dailyindependent.com/new...ce2a63597.html

What an awful sentiment to support in this holiday season, and it's hardly a waste of electricity if those lights would otherwise be lit with any color bulb.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:54 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
OP didn't you JUST buy this house and move in? Do you want to be 'THAT' neighbor already?

Old 11-23-2020, 04:06 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times
Here's the easiest advice - look around: What are are your neighbors doing?

(If needed, a mulching-mower is awesome - turns leaves to dust, no raking, no bagging, no dead grass when the snow melts.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House