Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 05:03 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,940,539 times

Advertisements

My neighbors to the side of me and across the street have the most obnoxiously bright lights that are aimed directly in my bedroom window. It is so inconsiderate! Backing out of my driveway at night is almost impossible, since the light across the street blinds me.

Having lights that are too bright and left on all night is very inconsiderate IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 06:04 PM

37,586 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Based on some of these comments, sounds like some of you have never lived where there are streetlights on poles.
Seriously. Lots (and I mean LOTS) of people have streetlights that light up their windows (I am one of them). That is just one reason that I have BLINDS. Quite frankly, I would not want to live in a neighborhood that did NOT have streetlights. If I lived out in the boonies then that is a totally different situation.

Old 11-24-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So because you are afraid of the dark all of your neighbors should take action to protect themselves from YOUR problem, not be able to leave their windows open for a breeze in the evening, etc.
"Afraid of the dark" is not the issue. It's why there are STREETLIGHTS. It's a safety issue.
Same logic. If you want darkness and nothing lit up and night then you love out into the country. That is your choice.

Old 11-24-2020, 06:34 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,406,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
My neighbors to the side of me and across the street have the most obnoxiously bright lights that are aimed directly in my bedroom window. It is so inconsiderate! Backing out of my driveway at night is almost impossible, since the light across the street blinds me.

Having lights that are too bright and left on all night is very inconsiderate IMO.
Did you ever tell them about it and asked them to adjust?

Old 11-24-2020, 07:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The average home doesn't have a whole lot of visible easily stolen stuff out at night. There often is an automobile or two, but there are car alarms.

Castle defense laws make a night invasion of a home - for any reason - a risky proposition. Chances of a burglar entering an occupied home at night are pretty small around here. Light or no light, once the barrier into the home is broken, hunting season is open for the homeowner, and the law is on their side.

Burglars are as likely to pose as lost people knocking on doors to ask for directions, salesmen of some sort, or religious canvassers. If there is no answer and no sign of activity, then there is a possibility of a break in. All that works better in the day, and doesn't have the risk, physically or legally.

Outside lighting in built-up areas is often for perceived liability issues, and culture, as has been mentioned.

Rural lighting is different, and for different reasons. The pole light or barn light used to be somewhat standard to illuminate work after dark, provide light to go to the barn at 5 AM to begin milking, and so on.

Deer and other animals set off motion detector lights, so placement is key. As an example, one of mine is a bright motion detector light that comes on as someone approaches my front deck, intentionally shining in their eyes. Tactically, that gives me an advantage, along with my other systems. My security cams use infrared, so I have little need for a constant outdoor light other than a very dim one to avoid trip hazards. However, I do use a few small outdoor lights outside of a window that I normally don't draw blinds on at night. The glare from them makes it more difficult for anyone who might be trespassing to look inside.

When I think that there might be an interloper, I can quickly light the area up as bright as a new car lot if needs be, and shut that light off just as quickly, effectively blinding the trespasser. For some strange reason, I don't get many of those.
Wow. You need to move someplace safer. Do you live in Beruit?

Old 11-24-2020, 07:46 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,406,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I see nothing from the post you replied to regarding how safe the area he is lives.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:24 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The average home doesn't have a whole lot of visible easily stolen stuff out at night. There often is an automobile or two, but there are car alarms.

Castle defense laws make a night invasion of a home - for any reason - a risky proposition. Chances of a burglar entering an occupied home at night are pretty small around here. Light or no light, once the barrier into the home is broken, hunting season is open for the homeowner, and the law is on their side.

Burglars are as likely to pose as lost people knocking on doors to ask for directions, salesmen of some sort, or religious canvassers. If there is no answer and no sign of activity, then there is a possibility of a break in. All that works better in the day, and doesn't have the risk, physically or legally.

Outside lighting in built-up areas is often for perceived liability issues, and culture, as has been mentioned.

Rural lighting is different, and for different reasons. The pole light or barn light used to be somewhat standard to illuminate work after dark, provide light to go to the barn at 5 AM to begin milking, and so on.

Deer and other animals set off motion detector lights, so placement is key. As an example, one of mine is a bright motion detector light that comes on as someone approaches my front deck, intentionally shining in their eyes. Tactically, that gives me an advantage, along with my other systems. My security cams use infrared, so I have little need for a constant outdoor light other than a very dim one to avoid trip hazards. However, I do use a few small outdoor lights outside of a window that I normally don't draw blinds on at night. The glare from them makes it more difficult for anyone who might be trespassing to look inside.

When I think that there might be an interloper, I can quickly light the area up as bright as a new car lot if needs be, and shut that light off just as quickly, effectively blinding the trespasser. For some strange reason, I don't get many of those.
Because I live in a very urban area, it’s not that they’re just trying to break into the house. You’re right, they don’t do that when they know someone’s home. But around here they go through your recycling for identity theft purposes and cans they can sell. They break into cars frequently not to steal the cars but they steal what was in the car. Even though people know better, they still leave crap in their cars. My husband did that all the time. They steal the wheels off course. I’ve seen that a couple times. They sometimes sit on your front porch and smoke cigarettes. I was told about that my neighbor, and I rearrange things so they didn’t do that anymore.

Let’s face it. People take advantage. Bright lights, not even bright lights just light makes him want to go somewhere where they have a little bit more privacy.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I see nothing from the post you replied to regarding how safe the area he is lives.
Gosh me either. I was rather scratching my head at his post!

Old 11-24-2020, 08:52 PM

23,586 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
LOL! You confuse being proactive and reactive. By your implied logic, you need to move to a place where you can remove the seatbelts from your car, and insulation from your wiring.

I've lived here for a while now. Early on, there were a couple of incidents that in retrospect were fun.

A couple of guys in a pickup pulled into my drive and tried the "lost" trick, and figured I wouldn't know the history of the area, so I described to them where the Union encampment they were "looking for" was, and what the area was like today... and all the time they were staring at the security cam that was aimed directly at them and taking pictures of them, eager to get away while I droned on and watched them squirm.

A scrap metal thief was rummaging on one side of the road, not knowing that I owned both sides, so I just mowed up to the road and crossed it and had the confrontation. The apologies were constant for about ten minutes, hoping that I would say it was alright and forgive them. I just kept silent and allowed them to turn the screws on their own. It turned out to be a neighbor, and I have never had a problem with that neighbor since.

In the country word gets around on who you mess with and who you don't. When I went to the sheriff's office to have one of the detectives explain to me what I could do to hold a thief and not lose my concealed carry permit, I have an idea that "a word to the wise" went out through the grapevine.

I'm not alone in this. My neighbor has some hilarious stories. BECAUSE of people like us, the area is safe, even though there are some neighbors who have had trouble with the law.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:05 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
This is an example of normal landscape lighting;

https://eosoutdoorlighting.com/

Just because some dumb idiots do it wrong, does not mean everyone does, nor the concept is bad, just like because there are idiot drivers does not mean driving in itself is a bad thing.
There is nothing normal about those pictures as far as residential lighting goes. A commercial setting is entirely different and this level of lighting may be appropriate at a funeral home or hotel entrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House