Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2020, 08:28 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times

Advertisements

Earlier this year, I bought my grandfather new Moen showerheads (a 5.5 inch Engage with Magnetix handheld showerhead for the master bathroom, and an Adler multifunction showerhead for the secondary bathroom).

My next project for my grandfather is replacing the worn out tub spout in the master bathroom to something a little nicer in a brushed nickel or stainless steel finish.

His existing spout is a Delta, however, I don't remember if it is a thread-on or slip-on. I know Delta's thread-on spouts use an adapter from the pipe in the wall, and if the adapter is soldered to a copper pipe, you are forced to replace it with another Delta thread-on spout unless you replace the entire pipe. However, if the spout is a slip-on, can I use any brand of spout? I would prefer to get a Moen spout if I had the choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 08:51 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
The easiest is to keep with existing-

Otherwise, you’ll have to remove, replace, or add to accommodate anything other than the existing.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:06 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Earlier this year, I bought my grandfather new Moen showerheads (a 5.5 inch Engage with Magnetix handheld showerhead for the master bathroom, and an Adler multifunction showerhead for the secondary bathroom).

My next project for my grandfather is replacing the worn out tub spout in the master bathroom to something a little nicer in a brushed nickel or stainless steel finish.

His existing spout is a Delta, however, I don't remember if it is a thread-on or slip-on. I know Delta's thread-on spouts use an adapter from the pipe in the wall, and if the adapter is soldered to a copper pipe, you are forced to replace it with another Delta thread-on spout unless you replace the entire pipe. However, if the spout is a slip-on, can I use any brand of spout? I would prefer to get a Moen spout if I had the choice.
This is why there are no Delta offspring in the wild, even if their lineage drip.

Let me put it this way:

I know how to solder. I know how to circumcise copper pipe. However... tub spouts may sometimes be simple black pipe because plumbers cheap out. Run the water and if there is rust immediately, the plumber cheaped out.

The idea of choosing a spout based upon what existed before is simply not within my ken. "Die infidel, die!" is more my mantra. I would go out of my way to stop such nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House