Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 01:43 PM

11,409 posts, read 7,724,091 times

Advertisements

Overhead lighting only. Way too glaring. Just buy some lamps for God’s sake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 02:20 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,340,896 times
Annoying? Nothing. It's THEIR house. I don't think about things long enough to actually be annoyed. And to be honest, I really don't care if someone is annoyed by the presence of dog hair (considering we have a dog and dogs shed. end of story), my artwork, my paint colors, or whatever else I have in MY house.

We don't wear shoes in our home. We are fine with (flat-heeled) shoes, but we do ask contractors to put on booties. No shoes on carpeted floors.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:29 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,527,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Annoying? Nothing. It's THEIR house. I don't think about things long enough to actually be annoyed. And to be honest, I really don't care if someone is annoyed by the presence of dog hair (considering we have a dog and dogs shed. end of story), my artwork, my paint colors, or whatever else I have in MY house.

We don't wear shoes in our home. We are fine with (flat-heeled) shoes, but we do ask contractors to put on booties. No shoes on carpeted floors.
Agree. What do I care what it looks like? My son and his wife have 4 kids and a dog, and their house is ANYTHING but neat and clean. I visited last year and I asked my son for some sheets so I could make the bed. He looks at the pile of clothes waiting to be washed and wearily said "i'll go buy some." Now it's a running joke between us.

I know i'm going to get slobbered on by the dog a couple of times and I will be subjected to screeching by the 2 year old. It's so good to get together with close family and friends to just hangout and chill though.

Unless there's hoarding or some other potentially unsafe situation going on I say live and let live

Old 12-11-2020, 05:39 PM

6,809 posts, read 6,893,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'm curious about the closed draperies. I've never encountered this, unless it was for a reason like heating and cooling, or to stop blinding sun coming in. Why would someone want to be in the dark all the time?
I can speak for myself. My living room faces the street. I don't want to see the houses across the street, don't want my furniture to fade from sunlight, and like the feeling of privacy in a cozy cocoon. I have beautiful velvet drapes that are always closed. The back of my house faces lots of trees and nature. I let light in from that area. My home is not dark or gloomy at all.

I have known people who keep their windows uncovered even during the evening hours. The thought of someone passing by and being able to see me in the privacy of my home is a big NO for me.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:47 PM

1,871 posts, read 688,178 times
Years ago, I looked at a small house. As soon as the realtor opened the door, you were greeted by an empty dog
cage. The whole place reeked! The realtor said, "I told him he has to do something about the dog(s)." I like
dogs but...whoa.... I looked at another condo and the woman had a cat who kept grinding his hiney on her kitchen counter.
I prefer to see freshly made cookies on the counter instead.

Talk about great selling points!

Old 12-11-2020, 07:34 PM

857 posts, read 833,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Years ago, I looked at a small house. As soon as the realtor opened the door, you were greeted by an empty dog
cage. The whole place reeked! The realtor said, "I told him he has to do something about the dog(s)." I like
dogs but...whoa.... I looked at another condo and the woman had a cat who kept grinding his hiney on her kitchen counter.
I prefer to see freshly made cookies on the counter instead.

Talk about great selling points!
Ha. So which one did you buy out of the two?

Old 12-11-2020, 08:49 PM

3,000 posts, read 2,319,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
We're in a pandemic. Who the heck visits other people's houses???
I did--I went to my cousin's place for Thanksgiving.

What annoys me about other people's homes? Clutter. My cousin and I both grew up in hoarder houses. The first time I went to visit her (she lives in another state), I was halfway there before I thought, "What if her house is a hoarder's nightmare?" Fortunately, it was neat and clean.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:53 PM

3,000 posts, read 2,319,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'm curious about the closed draperies. I've never encountered this, unless it was for a reason like heating and cooling, or to stop blinding sun coming in. Why would someone want to be in the dark all the time?
I hardly ever open the blinds in the bedrooms. There's no reason to unless I'm airing out the room. Besides, there's a portrait of my great-great grandparents in my room and I don't want the sunlight to damage it.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:31 PM

10,230 posts, read 13,740,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
A guest bathroom that is waaay too close to the kitchen/living room where people congregate and you really gots to go do some evil in there, aka insert some Seals...
I agree. I can't stand that. So disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Nothing really, but some people's homes don't feel homey to me - they feel like you shouldn't be touching anything and everything is for show, etc. They look more like a design magazine spread than a place where life happens. I feel uncomfortable in those homes sometimes.
I call those museum houses. My ex fiancee's parents' house was that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I get claustrophobic when it's too hot and all the winows an blinds are closed. Also, when they have the TV on really loud on some sports game when you are trying to hold a conversation or enjoy a meal.
In general I don't like going to watch a game at someone's house for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
This. People can live and decorate however they choose (and I automatically take off my shoes when I enter someone's home as I do the same in my own. I keep a pair of sock or Isotoner slippers in my car for this purpose), but having the television on during a normal, non-t.v.-centered social visit annoys the heck out of me. I hate trying to hear someone speak over the noise and usually just end up nodding a lot. I have "dog ears," so a blaring t.v. set is almost painful for me.

It's even worse if someone has that t.v. always turned to a news channel, no matter which one it is. It's distracting; I've found that people who constantly tune into those channels tend to have a negative world view that's largely been shaped and colored by the 24-7 news cycle. It doesn't make for a pleasant visit.

If I'm visiting someone, I'm there to visit them, not their house or their television.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycee View Post
Exactly!
I really do not care about the decor of other's homes but I just don't like how people constantly have the TV on. Maybe because I do not have cable so do not have the TV on all the time I am extra sensitive to the noise. I never understand visiting someone and trying to have a conversation while the TV is going the entire time.
What is up with keeping the damn TV on? Unless we are watching something, my TV is off when I have guests. The only other time it might be on is if I have an all music channel going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Lol I didn’t realize how many things annoyed me till I read this thread and agreed with almost every one of you!
I don’t like:
Dogs barking and jumping on me
Pictures hung too high
Dirty houses
TVs blaring
Too hot
Too cold
Pillows
Taking my shoes off
Bathrooms off the living room
Smokers
Gross art
Did I miss any? Oh! MLM dinner parties!!

And here I thought I was so agreeable!
What are MLM dinner parties?

In general, I don't like going to any house where there are lots of rules.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:35 PM

7,665 posts, read 5,378,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Furniture all pushed up against the walls.

Drives. Me. Insane.
But what if you don't have the square footage to do that? It's a luxury unavailable to most homeowners who live in high cost areas, such as here in the SF Bay Area, New York City, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House