Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 09:13 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times

Advertisements

Nothing really, but some people's homes don't feel homey to me - they feel like you shouldn't be touching anything and everything is for show, etc. They look more like a design magazine spread than a place where life happens. I feel uncomfortable in those homes sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 09:26 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
My thing is that the place is cluttered with too much stuff! SIL is not a good housekeeper and she has two cats which are something I can't tolerate. The bathroom was not clean and it had crud in the corners of the shower. I told my wife that was the last time we stayed there. I will pay for a hotel and stay fewer days.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:50 PM

61,683 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I don't like being asked to take my shoes off when I'm a guest in someone's house. I especially didn't like it when it was a party or larger social gathering and people were walking around in their stocking/bare feet. It seemed so silly.

If I'm wearing sandals and have to take them off before I enter someone's house, I would not want to walk barefooted into their bathroom.
There is an easy solution which I am using for years. I bring my own change of shoes, an change street shoes to a clean pair of pumps or stilettos (depending on my attire).

Old 12-09-2020, 12:00 AM

7,090 posts, read 4,521,984 times
As long as the house isn’t dirty I don’t care because I don’t live there. Really messy homes aren’t as comfortable to visit.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:53 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
The only things that bug me are dirty and/or smelly homes and untrained pets that are a nuisance.

As far as design, I can't stand TVs over the fireplace. Way too high up, but so many people do it.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:02 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,426,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There is an easy solution which I am using for years. I bring my own change of shoes, an change street shoes to a clean pair of pumps or stilettos (depending on my attire).
I would never wear a pair of stilettos in anyone else's home (nor my own) that had hardwood floors. They're the worst kind of shoe for putting dents in the wood and I wouldn't damage their floors that way.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:42 AM

922 posts, read 791,221 times
I get claustrophobic when it's too hot and all the winows an blinds are closed. Also, when they have the TV on really loud on some sports game when you are trying to hold a conversation or enjoy a meal.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:55 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
One of our friends house that I find "annoying" is that it is always cold.

The summer their a/c is pumping, and I'd have a throw on my legs if were watching a movie or something

Then in the winter they would keep the heat on so low, and id be cold then also.
but, for the winter time, if I visit, I just wear shirts in layers, and luckily, the summer were mostly outside.

other than that, I don't really find anything annoying in another persons house.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 12-09-2020 at 07:05 AM..

Old 12-09-2020, 07:14 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,553,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
They're larger than mine?
Bingo! This is the same for me. Even some apartments have more square footage than my tiny 1957 rancher.

The only other thing that bothered me once was going to a friend's house for the first time to watch the Superbowl and they had three cats and a large shepherd-type dog. They had a ceiling fan over the kitchen table where they put the food out (buffet-style). Their house had so much pet hair that the ceiling fan was covered. Went to make my plate and was totally disgusted because there was pet hair resting on the food from it being flung off the fan that looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the day it was installed. In general, there was pet hair everywhere - in the corners, woven into the fabric of the furniture, baseboards, window sills . . . YUCK!!!

Last edited by kjg1963; 12-09-2020 at 07:24 AM..

Old 12-09-2020, 07:22 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,559,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I get claustrophobic when it's too hot and all the winows an blinds are closed. Also, when they have the TV on really loud on some sports game when you are trying to hold a conversation or enjoy a meal.
This. People can live and decorate however they choose (and I automatically take off my shoes when I enter someone's home as I do the same in my own. I keep a pair of sock or Isotoner slippers in my car for this purpose), but having the television on during a normal, non-t.v.-centered social visit annoys the heck out of me. I hate trying to hear someone speak over the noise and usually just end up nodding a lot. I have "dog ears," so a blaring t.v. set is almost painful for me.

It's even worse if someone has that t.v. always turned to a news channel, no matter which one it is. It's distracting; I've found that people who constantly tune into those channels tend to have a negative world view that's largely been shaped and colored by the 24-7 news cycle. It doesn't make for a pleasant visit.

If I'm visiting someone, I'm there to visit them, not their house or their television.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House