Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 08:08 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,484,865 times

Advertisements

i'm casually looking at houses and see one we like with a pool. i love pools and it would definitely be worth the money but i read that pools with vinyl liners are more expensive to upkeep. this is what this one is.

is it really expensive (or even possible) to change the vinyl lined pool with something else better looking and/or less expensive to maintain?

thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
i'm casually looking at houses and see one we like with a pool. i love pools and it would definitely be worth the money but i read that pools with vinyl liners are more expensive to upkeep. this is what this one is.

is it really expensive (or even possible) to change the vinyl lined pool with something else better looking and/or less expensive to maintain?

thanks everyone!
We have always had a pool,I don't think it's a BIG expense,you have to chloranate the water,and when you have to vaccum the pool , I forget how often my husband did it, but it's not like every week or like that.If the water gets green , there is stuff to add to take it out too.As far as a replacement for a vinyl liner for above ground I am sorry I don't know.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,618,516 times
I agree, first af all is it inground or above, and how big? We had a 30 foot round pool abd never had a problem keeping the liner clean, they liners last a long time. I really dont think they were hard to maintain at all......you cholrinate and vaccum, whats the big deal?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:15 AM

17,471 posts, read 65,994,520 times
I'll assume you're referring to an in-ground pool. My pool is a vinyl liner. I had the liner replaced 5yrs ago and other than a little fade, it's in great shape. The guy that did the replacement said a liner should last 7-9yrs. Their upkeep is no more or less than a gunite pool.
Now, with salt systems I bet a liner could last even longer (no chlorine).

Old 05-06-2008, 07:09 PM

thanks everyone for the comments. it is an in ground, sorry i didn't specify. also, i did a terrible job w/ my op, but i was wondering if you could convert the vinyl liner to a concrete bottom or something else. but you all write like vinyl liners are bad at all. i thought they ripped and wrinkled a lot, but maybe not?

thanks again!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,132 times
You need to talk to a pool company.

I just had a liner pool put in at my house. I have a neighbor with a cracked fiberglass pool asking questions about converting it to a liner pool. I asked the company I went through and they said it would be almost as expensive as putting in a new pool because the still had to do different plumbing, digging, etc. They said just because the hole is there doesnt make it much cheaper.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:25 AM

oh ok, that stinks about your neighbors pool. thanks for the advice. i also read that converting was very expensive, so i will like the liner...haha. i think i just need to find a liner i like. thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House