Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 03:06 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
You guys are scaring me. The house was built in 1974 with roof shingles. The original owner and the HOA replaced the roof in 2000. In my HOA, the HOA pays roughly 70% of the roof replacement. My entire neighborhood of 200 homes were built this way and had tile roof replacement within 25 years.
Well, that makes more sense. Now we all know why the truss system is what it is. I’m sure there was no consideration for the roof system when the decision was made to use tile roofing.

OP- go buy that 5gal. bucket of paint!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 03:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You may want 5/8" drywall on the wall if that is an attached garage. You are supposed to use 5/8" or double layers of 3/8 pr 1/2 for fire protection.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
5/8" type- X drywall is required on a common wall of an attached garage.

There; I fixed it for you.

*Most AHJ’s frown upon multi layer drywall because of installation unknowns- type-X is easy to measure AND identify.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:58 PM

936 posts, read 2,079,945 times
I sent detail pictures to a highly rated construction company explaining that I need reinforcing the current frame to support ceiling drywall and received a quote for $1600. I asked this construction company to provide me more information with the reinforcement plan or come to my house to explain. If they do it properly, this is a good quote, right? I sent the RFQ to another company but they declined because their schedule is full.

They also offered to add drywall and insulation for an additional $2300.

I may have them reinforce the frame and do drywall myself to save money. I think I rather have the drywall ceiling and insulation because I worry about the noise from hitting my driver at night may bother my family and neighbors.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:52 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
I sent detail pictures to a highly rated construction company explaining that I need reinforcing the current frame to support ceiling drywall and received a quote for $1600. I asked this construction company to provide me more information with the reinforcement plan or come to my house to explain. If they do it properly, this is a good quote, right? I sent the RFQ to another company but they declined because their schedule is full.

They also offered to add drywall and insulation for an additional $2300.

I may have them reinforce the frame and do drywall myself to save money. I think I rather have the drywall ceiling and insulation because I worry about the noise from hitting my driver at night may bother my family and neighbors.
You need to get a detailed description of how they plan to remedy your problems. You also want to make sure they are insured. But you are doing the right thing in asking for more information.

Many of us, when looking at your construction, worry about things like what happens if you ever want to sell? How do you pass a home inspection with what you have shown us? Good luck with this contractor and let us know how it all turns out.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I sent detail pictures to a highly rated construction company explaining that I need reinforcing the current frame to support ceiling drywall and received a quote for $1600. I asked this construction company to provide me more information with the reinforcement plan or come to my house to explain. If they do it properly, this is a good quote, right?

Is that just for the ceiling- something like I mentioned earlier? Or...

In Cali? I think that’s real cheap. AND! I know that does not include a wet seal plan and letter from a PE. So, you willing to take that chance? I would definitely be considering a redesign/reinforcement of the entire roof system.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:28 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:

I may have them reinforce the frame and do drywall myself to save money.
You may want to reconsider putting 5/8 drywall on the ceiling by yourself. Even with a lift it is not an easy task for a homeowner.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:50 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Is that just for the ceiling- something like I mentioned earlier? Or...

In Cali? I think that’s real cheap. AND! I know that does not include a wet seal plan and letter from a PE. So, you willing to take that chance? I would definitely be considering a redesign/reinforcement of the entire roof system.
I totally agree and believe it’s better to have at least a sketch from an engineer so you know that the remedial work is properly addressing the deficiency and it will also provide you with a scope of work that you can use to competitively bid the work.

This initial up front cost could actually save you money!

Old 12-23-2020, 01:30 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
This is typical roof framing for California. It's unlike anything I've seen elsewhere, and it is not designed to bear a lot of weight. When we lived out there, we were told not to put anything in the attic, since the framing was designed only to hold the roof.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:35 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
This is typical roof framing for California. It's unlike anything I've seen elsewhere, and it is not designed to bear a lot of weight. When we lived out there, we were told not to put anything in the attic, since the framing was designed only to hold the roof.
Not really typical throughout the state since it’s determined on the specific location and elevation of where the house is located. Based on those factors, the code for the live load of the roof could be 20 pounds per square foot on the low end to a high of 60 pounds which is a fairly significant spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House