Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 10:09 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Lets assume this is in a market in a suburb where the average 2000 sq ft house costs $250,000. I know this is just an estimate. How much value will the following upgrades add to a home?

1. Subway tile backsplash

2. Replacing typical overhead lights with can lights and adding LED strip lights under all the cabinets.

3. Replacing a textured ceiling with a smooth ceiling.

4. Painting wood cabinets white.
What do you mean by "textured ceiling? I ask because my house originally had popcorn ceilings in every room except the kitchen and bathrooms, and I replaced the popcorn ceilings with smooth/lightly textured ceilings and fresh paint. That was a huge improvement. It is very important to me not to have popcorn ceilings, unless it is only in a small, inconsequential room. I would do that, but I don't know how much value it will add.

I think can lights have been in use so long now that they are just about out of style, and I like more light over a larger space than can lights tend to provide in a kitchen. I would make sure I had good overhead lighting in the kitchen, but not a fan of can lights, so I can't suggest a price.

I am looking forward to what others will suggest and the costs, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 10:14 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
OP, I really think you should ask the moderator to move this thread to "Real Estate."

Old 12-23-2020, 05:20 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Lets assume this is in a market in a suburb where the average 2000 sq ft house costs $250,000. I know this is just an estimate. How much value will the following upgrades add to a home?

2. Replacing typical overhead lights with can lights and adding LED strip lights under all the cabinets.

--------------------------
1 - Not my first choice.
2 - I do not like can lights in the ceilings, and under cabinet lights I could do without.

3 - I actually like popcorn ceilings and (have them), (I'd never get them again), but not something that would really bother me if they were there.

4 - I hate with a passion, painted white cabinets, painting cabinets white isn't always the answer.

so, all you mentioned are NOT upgrades to me, so IMO, these choices wouldn't add any value at all to a home at all. JMO

Old 12-24-2020, 09:27 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Those things you've described (with the exception of maybe #3) would be considered "freshening up" and would help visually with the sale of your home. It would probably sell faster, though painting cabinets is subjective. As for popcorn ceilings, I really wouldn't care. The first floor of our home and one of the rooms on the second floor are flat, but the other rooms have popcorn and its presence makes no difference. The home was built in '89, it is what it is and I'm not about to spend thousands to remove something so inconsequential. It's not like the popcorn comes off unless you're doing something with the ceiling.

In my neighborhood, a dated home does cost less but then again an "updated home" would have had a lot of big ticket things done to it over the years, not just backsplashes and lighting. I'm talking flooring, fireplace redo, new windows, roof, kitchen remodels...

Old 12-24-2020, 10:46 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
A $10,000 improvement, is valued at $6500 or so.

A $20,000 improvement, it good for $14,000.

A $40,000 improvement, is worth about $25,000.

See a trend here?

Old 12-25-2020, 08:45 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:

Why are you so worried when none of these "upgrades" are expensive at all? You're talking (maybe) hundreds of dollars, not thousands. You will not be enjoying your house much if you're keeping track of every penny you spend on it hoping to double your money. Either do this stuff for yourself, and truly enjoy seeing those changes every day or skip it and avoid the mental aggravation.

Old 12-25-2020, 04:46 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why are you so worried when none of these "upgrades" are expensive at all? You're talking (maybe) hundreds of dollars, not thousands. You will not be enjoying your house much if you're keeping track of every penny you spend on it hoping to double your money. Either do this stuff for yourself, and truly enjoy seeing those changes every day or skip it and avoid the mental aggravation.
Well paying someone would be over $1000 for all that. A quote just to smooth my kitchen ceiling was over 1000.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:25 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Didn't you just buy this place? Are you thinking of moving already/soon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House