Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 08:46 PM

936 posts, read 2,080,319 times

Advertisements

I am building a golf simulator and the garage door motor is a little to close to the swing bay. Can the motor goes up 1 foot and it obvious put the track and chain at an angle? Right now it is at around 8ft height. It would be much more comfortable if it is at 9ft height.

Attached Thumbnails
Without buying a new garage door, can I move the motor up?-garagedoor.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 11:18 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
The best way to do that is to move it all up. You can’t have the opener rail at an angle like that.
There are rail extensions that you add to the vertical sections- that moves the horizontal rails and radius rail higher. And in-turn you move the opener up. It’s basically what they call a “high lift kit”.

That is not something to juryrig. Just lifting the opening AND rail is limited by the bar(s) that connect the door to the opener- they can only be expanded/extended a certain amount. Anything over that refer to the first paragraph.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:51 AM

Can I buy a Chamberlain garage door opener for $400 and connected it to the shaft without changing anything else?

Do I have to adjust spring tension which I heard is dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The best way to do that is to move it all up. You can’t have the opener rail at an angle like that.
There are rail extensions that you add to the vertical sections- that moves the horizontal rails and radius rail higher. And in-turn you move the opener up. It’s basically what they call a “high lift kit”.

That is not something to juryrig. Just lifting the opening AND rail is limited by the bar(s) that connect the door to the opener- they can only be expanded/extended a certain amount. Anything over that refer to the first paragraph.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:02 AM

Going with a “jackshaft” opener would certainly give you full headroom above without any other modifications.
I personally like jackshaft openers for that reason- but in most cases a lot of houses don’t have the room for the opener; and running electric to that location in a finished garage is somewhat difficult- especially for DIY’ers.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:27 AM

Since it is an exposed ceiling and there is an outlet near the current garage door opener running wires would be easy. I was able to run wires for outlet and switches correctly before drywall. There is also a lot of room above. Here is my plan:

1) Buy Chamberlain Wall Mount Model #RJO70 (3/4 HP) or Model #RJO20 (1/2 HP). Only $100 more, I am favoring the more powerful motor just in case.
2) Keep the same rails unchanged, spring unchanged assuming that it is already balanced.
3) Mount the new garage door opener and connect it to the torsion bar.

Attached Thumbnails
Without buying a new garage door, can I move the motor up?-torsion-bar.jpg  

Old 01-05-2021, 11:55 AM

Yep- good to go.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:50 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Been there, done that. FYI:
The minimum height clearance for a golf simulator should be nine feet. For golfers standing at or below 5’8”, this height will work and allow a full swing. For golfers between 5’9” and 6’, a minimum ceiling height of ten feet is advised.

If you are over six feet tall, then you need to add 6 inches worth of clearance above 10 feet for every 4 inches in your height. Example, a golfer standing 6’3” should have a minimum ceiling height of ten and a half feet. A golfer standing 6’5” should maintain at least 11 feet of clearance.

If you want to be sure, installing a golf simulator in a room with vaulted ceilings, cathedral ceilings, or 12-foot ceilings will be ideal. Find the tallest area in the space you want to install the golf simulator and go from there.

The ceiling height measurement could be the most important measurement you take before making your final purchase.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:35 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
OP~ Since it's now Winter (yeah, yeah, I know.)

Anyway, the greens should play a little slower. This means ADD some weight to your putter. This weight should reduce your "being short" on your putts. Whether you add toe weight, or heel weight is up to you. (I usually add some to my Ping, in the Winter.)

The "long" putt might be made.

The "short" putt is NEVER made.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:30 PM

I am only 5'7" and the joists' height is 9'6". With the EMT frame, I think the underside of the EMT enclosure top will be 9'4". I have two buddies and both are 5'11". I will check to see if they will have any issue with the driver.

I have a small house and every area is 8'. The garage is the only place I can do this.

I already have Skytrak, Fiberbuilt Mat, Impact Screen, Gaming desktop, EMT connectors. Now I just need to buy a new wall mount garage motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Been there, done that. FYI:
The minimum height clearance for a golf simulator should be nine feet. For golfers standing at or below 5’8”, this height will work and allow a full swing. For golfers between 5’9” and 6’, a minimum ceiling height of ten feet is advised.

If you are over six feet tall, then you need to add 6 inches worth of clearance above 10 feet for every 4 inches in your height. Example, a golfer standing 6’3” should have a minimum ceiling height of ten and a half feet. A golfer standing 6’5” should maintain at least 11 feet of clearance.

If you want to be sure, installing a golf simulator in a room with vaulted ceilings, cathedral ceilings, or 12-foot ceilings will be ideal. Find the tallest area in the space you want to install the golf simulator and go from there.

The ceiling height measurement could be the most important measurement you take before making your final purchase.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:33 PM

I am in Southern CA so there is no snow. With 3 young kids it is hard to go out and practice. Plus I always want to have a golf simulator at home as a place to hangout with my golf friends.

I will check out you putting tip. I have never thought about changing weight to the putter for the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
OP~ Since it's now Winter (yeah, yeah, I know.)

Anyway, the greens should play a little slower. This means ADD some weight to your putter. This weight should reduce your "being short" on your putts. Whether you add toe weight, or heel weight is up to you. (I usually add some to my Ping, in the Winter.)

The "long" putt might be made.

The "short" putt is NEVER made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House