Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 04:40 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,678 times

Advertisements

Really would not care what his beliefs are as long as he was competent and could do the job well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 05:28 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Before I worry about books I make sure whips and chains are secured. Please add that to the bid - only those with the appropriate voter card need to bed. Proof of card and eligibility required.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:06 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,562,293 times
Anyone remember back when you could discuss differing opinions without getting triggered?

Old 12-31-2020, 06:24 PM

7,243 posts, read 7,064,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Anyone remember back when you could discuss differing opinions without getting triggered?
Insulting.

I said 'insulting'.

Not opinions. Insults.

Not professional. Should never have happened.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:28 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
All my subs know that there is no “idle” conversation with clients. Speak only about the job at hand- and do not detour from the scope of work that you were hired to do. If there is any question and/or change asked/discussed/or mentioned- you are instructed to defer the client to the GC.

It works- most of the time. When it doesn’t, my subs are informed that that individual will no longer work on my projects. If they have a forgetful mind, they are suddenly hit with one less company to do work for. It’s an easy concept to grasp when money is involved!

Old 12-31-2020, 07:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Three things you never talk about: Politics, religion and your sex life. With friends, family or especially strangers. You just never know where the proclivities lie.
Unless you do... and you agree.

It's a risky thing as a professional to express opinions around customers.

On the flip side, don't start expressing yours and get upset when the other person doesn't agree with you.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:41 PM

261 posts, read 189,132 times
Since you are paying a contractor for his/her service, why invite anything else into it. Just keep it to the chore at hand making sure you are satisfied with the work. Then let them go to the next job. They have a living to make, not converts. Remember the story about "Brer Rabbit" ?

Old 12-31-2020, 08:45 PM

648 posts, read 431,063 times
He may just have ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) and custom tailored his talk to defy your talk. They get a kick out of that.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:13 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
So yesterday I had a guy in who was installing some cabinets for us. This was a project I would have had done months ago if not for the shutdown.

He seemed to be good at the work. I've no complaints about that. But as they day went on and we got a bit more talkative he made his political views known.

They were in total opposition to mine.

Mind you, I didn't bring up politics but just said how happy I was to be getting this job done since I had to put it off. He said some pretty insulting things, thinking I was of the same mind. I kept my mouth shut about my opinions.

Well, any chance of me ever calling him back to do any work at my house went out the window right then and there.

Pro tip: Be professional, people.
I don’t care what your politics are..I care about the job done. If he did outstanding work I would hire him again. Why didn’t you just walk away..by staying and talking, he probably thought you also wanted to talk about politics.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:18 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,379,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
All my subs know that there is no “idle” conversation with clients. Speak only about the job at hand- and do not detour from the scope of work that you were hired to do. If there is any question and/or change asked/discussed/or mentioned- you are instructed to defer the client to the GC.

It works- most of the time. When it doesn’t, my subs are informed that that individual will no longer work on my projects. If they have a forgetful mind, they are suddenly hit with one less company to do work for. It’s an easy concept to grasp when money is involved!
Good policy. Smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House