Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 03:32 AM

11,418 posts, read 5,967,061 times

Advertisements

Kirby still make the best vacuum hands down IMHO. Mega expensive.

I love my Miele cannister vaccum. They have models from $300 to well over $1000. Mine was around $600 bought 5-6 years ago. It is absolutely wonderful. It is far far better than your typical piece of crap Eureka, Dyson, Bissel, Shark, Hoover. All that low end crap is "you get what you pay for".

Miele is really wondeful. Just not cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I bought a Miele. Never thought I'd like a vacuum cleaner so much, lol. Not inexpensive, but it works great and I think it will last a long time because it is built very well.
They are awesome. I would never get another typical low-end vacuum again.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
One caveat about self winding cords. No matter how much fun it is, and it is, don’t pull it, let it wind up and smack the plug back into place. Let it do the winding but hold onto that plug and sort of feed it in. So every time you let the plug end smack in the place you’re actually stressing that plug which means eventually it’s going to separate. And when it separates the whole cord will get sucked into the machine and it’s a very expensive fix.

I had a Meile for 15 years with a self winding cord and that was the advice I was given by the guy I bought it from who used to fix them constantly. Mine never broke. The reason I got rid of it — it was a carpet vacuum cleaner. It was bad for hardwood floors — didn’t suck well, and the beater brush flung stuff around instead of sucking it up.
Great advice on the cord rewinding. I will quit letting it smack when rewinding.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:08 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I use Dyson vacuum cleaners after many years of using other canister and upright vacuum cleaners. Since I have pets at home, the Dyson Ball vacuum cleaner does a great job. The brush doesn't use a belt. I remember the times when I had to replace vacuum cleaner belts ):

It also incorporates HEPA filters that can be washed as needed. My wife and I have been using this one for about 6 years already. We buy such things at Lowe's or Home Depot, Fred Mayer, and the rest when they are on sale.
I have a Dyson ball animal from 2009, it's the biggest piece of cr@p I've ever spent $500 on.

I inherited a Shark from my MIL when she passed, it's a dream to vac with and is even propelled so it drives itself pretty much. It also picks up way more then the Dyson.

The Dyson beater bar clip on the side won't stay on for the last few years. The handle that lifts out, won't stay down since it was 2 years old. I have to hold my hand on it in order to vacuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I have a Shark vacuum with all kinds of attachments and using it is killing me. It's way to heavy and it doesn't work well on the few area rugs with high pile that I have (other than that I'm mostly wood floor but still like to vacuum).

I have bad arthritis in my fingers and am heading into my senior years so I need something that works both on smooth floors and area rugs with higher pile.

Any suggestions of what vacuum you like (that would fit the bill above) and why you like it?

Thanks in advance
Which Shark vacuum do you have? I believe mine is an older navigator, I inherited it from my MIL to replace my Dyson that's a cheap plastic vacuum that sucks. Maybe they got better, I surely would google Dyson with the model number to see what issues there are before spending the money on one. I don't find the Shark heavy, I have a bad back. I love that it's self propelled.

I was on Shark's web site, they have tons of vac's that may be better for what you need then the one you have. I see they have stick vacs too.

I can run the Dyson in any room, then run the Shark, the Shark will pick up a lot more then the Dyson. Even at my daughters new rental, she has brand new, thick carpets, the Shark pics up way more there then the Dyson ball I gave her. I had been looking for a vac before MIL passed, Shark wasn't even on my list but I would surely consider another when MIL's dies.

Another suggestion I have is to go to Walmart, Target, Lowes and Depot on their web sites to see what they have then take a ride to look at them in person; then read reviews, then make your decision before buying online. You never know if a vac will be a good fit until you actually put your hands on it. You have to see if it's heavy and see where the buttons are plus the hose when using attachments. Plus you have arthritis so the one vac suggested won't work cause you have to hold the trigger like on my Hoover steamer vac.

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-03-2021 at 05:37 AM..

Old 01-03-2021, 05:23 AM

30,412 posts, read 21,222,541 times
My Dyson ball is 11 years old and never a prob. The Dyson stick is 2 years old and no cord to deal with.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:52 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I like my roomba. It isn't work-free. I have to rescue it and locate it when it gets stuck, and I have to empty the bin, and put it back on the charger when it gets lost.

But it is a heck of a lot less work than actually pushing a vacuum cleaner around. My floors get vacuumed every day and they look quite nice. It's gets underneath the furniture, so I don't have to move furniture to vacuum.
Does the Roomba get at the 'edges' effectively? where the wall meets the floor?

Old 01-03-2021, 05:59 AM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Yes, they are great, but I think all are upright models. Absolutely ineffective to vacuum under "short legged"/low profile furniture.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:24 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:

I love my Miele cannister vaccum. They have models from $300 to well over $1000. Mine was around $600 bought 5-6 years ago. It is absolutely wonderful. It is far far better than your typical piece of crap Eureka, Dyson, Bissel, Shark, Hoover. All that low end crap is "you get what you pay for".

I liked the Miele, but hated changing the bag. Still have it, but it's a garage vacuum now. My SO loves the Dyson, me not so much.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:08 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Which Shark vacuum do you have? I believe mine is an older navigator, I inherited it from my MIL to replace my Dyson that's a cheap plastic vacuum that sucks. Maybe they got better, I surely would google Dyson with the model number to see what issues there are before spending the money on one. I don't find the Shark heavy, I have a bad back. I love that it's self propelled.

I was on Shark's web site, they have tons of vac's that may be better for what you need then the one you have. I see they have stick vacs too.

I can run the Dyson in any room, then run the Shark, the Shark will pick up a lot more then the Dyson. Even at my daughters new rental, she has brand new, thick carpets, the Shark pics up way more there then the Dyson ball I gave her. I had been looking for a vac before MIL passed, Shark wasn't even on my list but I would surely consider another when MIL's dies.

Another suggestion I have is to go to Walmart, Target, Lowes and Depot on their web sites to see what they have then take a ride to look at them in person; then read reviews, then make your decision before buying online. You never know if a vac will be a good fit until you actually put your hands on it. You have to see if it's heavy and see where the buttons are plus the hose when using attachments. Plus you have arthritis so the one vac suggested won't work cause you have to hold the trigger like on my Hoover steamer vac.
My vac is a newer Shark Navigator professional UV540 26 lift-away model exactly like this one on Amazon. I don't have area rugs to give input.

Quote:

I had a Heritage 2 until 12 years ago. It was just too heavy for my bad back. I didn't know they're still in business. We just donated the Heritage vac last year

Old 01-03-2021, 01:20 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
Another Miele owner here. I have 3 of their canister vacs (upstairs, downstairs, and at the cabin) and they are awesome on all surfaces with dirt, dust, pine needles, crumbs, etc and they are fairly easy to pull around. I can't comment on pet hair, but they pick up bird seeds from under the parrot cages, which only about 10% of vacs can do in my experience. I also have a Hoover stick vac I keep in the bird area and it works pretty well for that, but I wouldn't recommend any new Hoover canisters.

Because I'm recovering from back surgery and vacuuming is tough right now, I recently bought a Roborock S5. Connecting it to WiFi and my phone was a bit of a pain, but I've been pretty pleased with how well it works. It infrequently gets stuck under a chair or something, and otherwise toodles around, cleans pretty well wherever it can get to, and heads off to the dock. I'll still have to vac along walls and in corners, but just having this thing to do under the beds, the living room rug, and the big carpet downstairs is a huge help.

P.S. I had some housekeeping help this summer, and her Shark did an abysmal job compared to the Mieles, and I don't think it was any better than the Roborock either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House