Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 02:39 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times

Advertisements

Hmmm. OP, once your line is THERE at your house, I don't think the inside work will be horrendously expensive. At least, I had several extra gas lines added at my house when I switched propane suppliers (no natural gas in my area or I'd get it in a heartbeat!) and they simply charged by the hour (like a plumber who has a gas license). I added 2 gas heaters (one upstairs, one downstairs -- mostly for power outages), had them connect a new dryer upstairs, and had them add 3 more lines for expansion (I will likely get a gas heater for the garage plus a gas fireplace for the master bedroom at some point). I think it was close to $100/hour and took several hours but it was definitely worth it. (Note, I have a basement, so the connection goes there first, then is spread out in various parts of my house.)

Oh, and some appliances ARE convertible between natural gas and propane (e.g., my dryer came ready for natural gas so my installer had to switch it over). I don't know about furnaces.

And I agree with others that your electric bill sounds VERY high (it actually sounds like the bill of someone who uses several electric space heaters!). What is the $161.58 charge for in your bill (from post #5)? Your supply charges are $191.65 but the bill total is $353.23.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 02:42 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
As recommended by others, I would definitely go for the gas line and eventually get rid of the propane. You could have a plumber inspect you current piping system and provide you with an estimate to do the switch over to natural gas. You will need a licensed plumber when doing the conversation.

This will ultimately save you money on utility costs as well ad making your house more desirable when it’s time to sell.
Thanks! We have a plumber friend, too!

Old 01-05-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hmmm. OP, once your line is THERE at your house, I don't think the inside work will be horrendously expensive. At least, I had several extra gas lines added at my house when I switched propane suppliers (no natural gas in my area or I'd get it in a heartbeat!) and they simply charged by the hour (like a plumber who has a gas license). I added 2 gas heaters (one upstairs, one downstairs -- mostly for power outages), had them connect a new dryer upstairs, and had them add 3 more lines for expansion (I will likely get a gas heater for the garage plus a gas fireplace for the master bedroom at some point). I think it was close to $100/hour and took several hours but it was definitely worth it. (Note, I have a basement, so the connection goes there first, then is spread out in various parts of my house.)

Oh, and some appliances ARE convertible between natural gas and propane (e.g., my dryer came ready for natural gas so my installer had to switch it over). I don't know about furnaces.

And I agree with others that your electric bill sounds VERY high (it actually sounds like the bill of someone who uses several electric space heaters!). What is the $161.58 charge for in your bill (from post #5)? Your supply charges are $191.65 but the bill total is $353.23.
I don’t really understand the bill I admit! We don’t use space heaters but we do run a small air cleaner in the bedroom while we sleep (we both need white noise to sleep). We also have a chest freezer in the garage. When they come out to do my walk through I’ll ask them to explain the bill. I wish I had known earlier that was abnormally high!

Old 01-05-2021, 04:26 PM

Now I’m thinking maybe Atlantic City Electric is just crazy expensive. I just asked my niece what hers was, she has a three bedroom rancher and gas heat. Her monthly budgeted electric payment is $430 a month! Granted she has 3 kids at home and all are playing separate gaming systems all the time, but still....

I also forgot to mention we have heated bathroom and kitchen floors.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-05-2021 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-05-2021, 04:39 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
I don’t know of a singular provider that is going to install a service line if you’re not going to actually use the provided service.

So, anyone who is in a house that has the “opportunity” to switch to NG obviously has to have all the supply lines installed INSIDE the house before you can actually use the gas.

If I was a provider, I’m not wasting material/personnel/monies to install a service line if you’re not going to use it!

Old 01-05-2021, 04:48 PM

6,357 posts, read 4,175,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I don’t know of a singular provider that is going to install a service line if you’re not going to actually use the provided service.

So, anyone who is in a house that has the “opportunity” to switch to NG obviously has to have all the supply lines installed INSIDE the house before you can actually use the gas.

If I was a provider, I’m not wasting material/personnel/monies to install a service line if you’re not going to use it!
That’s definitely logical and I would assume that the gas company would charge a monthly access fee, each month, even if there is no actual usage.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
That’s definitely logical and I would assume that the gas company would charge a monthly access fee, each month, even if there is no actual usage.
Now I'm back to being confused lol. I wonder if they'll even get the 15 neighbors? It seems odd they'd start doing this during Covid when people are out of work or trying to hold onto savings just in case. Its a rural blue collar neighborhood, its not a given. I would love to do it but I am very reluctant to use emergency savings or take on more debt while Covid is going on. My fiance's work dried up to maybe 25% for several months last spring/summer and we had to use a good chunk of our savings then.

I guess I need to calculate an approximate cost. Would the gas company be able to determine how much work we would have to do?

Old 01-05-2021, 05:20 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Now I'm back to being confused lol. I wonder if they'll even get the 15 neighbors? It seems odd they'd start doing this during Covid when people are out of work or trying to hold onto savings just in case. Its a rural blue collar neighborhood, its not a given. I would love to do it but I am very reluctant to use emergency savings or take on more debt while Covid is going on. My fiance's work dried up to maybe 25% for several months last spring/summer and we had to use a good chunk of our savings then.

I guess I need to calculate an approximate cost. Would the gas company be able to determine how much work we would have to do?
The company probably started planning and budgeting for establishing new service to your area 10 years ago, not a year ago. Covid wasn't a factor.

Doubt you're going to be able to get all your cost estimate info from one source.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:27 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Advantages.
Natural gas water heater is more efficient.
Whole home heat is more efficient than electric heat strips
Gas stove/oven heats faster than electric.
Don’t have gas clothes dryer to know the difference.

Disadvantages
Need carbon monoxide detectors
Need to be more cautious in connecting appliances to gas connections. Once connected and gas turned on you’ll need to test for leaks. Any leak detected means starting the connection over again. Don’t just tighten the fitting more thinking that’ll stop the leak.
If your electric bill is this high then you may end up with a high natural gas bill depending on what is the source of your high electric bill.

In most all electric homes the items using the most electricity are the water heater, refrigerator, central air system, stove/oven (if regularly cooking meals), and clothes dryer (depending on how often it’s used). Use a cooking thermometer to test the actual hot water temperature. You don’t need it to be more than 130. For some people 120 is fine. For refrigerator purchase a cheap refrigerator thermometer and leave in the refrigerator. Pull the refrigerator from wall and clean the coils. The next morning check the refrigerator thermometer temperature. It displays a food safe range for the refrigerator and for freezer. You may have your refrigerator set too cold making it run more often than needed. Central air system can be made more efficient with routine service cleaning and changing the thermostat to an automatic (switches between heat and cool as needed on its own). If you have access to inspect the air ducts go take a look at them for air leaks and or damaged insulation on the ducts. Don’t use regular duct tape. There is a special tape that works better and last longer. Should also check the air vents in the home to ensure they aren’t closed off in one room or more causing the central air unit to run more than is needed. Cant do much for a stove or oven efficiency. Clothes dryer needs to have the outlet vent and dryer vent hose removed and cleaned. If you are capable, remove dryer access panel to vacuum out the area around the drum and clean off the blower impeller. Ensure the dryer air vent screen is cleaned after each load no matter how little lint is on the screen. If you use dryer sheets then take the vent and scrub it with a brush and hot soapy water. The stuff from these dryer sheets can block off screens. Try pouring water on a screen. The water should flow freely. If it pools and barely drips then the screen is clogged and needs to be scrubbed.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The company probably started planning and budgeting for establishing new service to your area 10 years ago, not a year ago. Covid wasn't a factor.

Doubt you're going to be able to get all your cost estimate info from one source.
Thanks! I'm sure you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House