Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 02:02 AM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,788,584 times

Advertisements

I am trying to remove all the caulking from where the surround meets with the tub . I didn't put it in, so I don't know all the specs on it. Let's just say it's rubbery and doesn't want to come off easily !!

Does anyone know of a relatively easy method to remove the caulking without damaging the tub finish? I've been trying to scrape it off gently, but that method isn't getting me far fast ! I am trying to remove it and put new caulking in as the old caulking was only half holding and definitely needed to be replaced (imo ).

Your help and expertise is greatly appreciated ! TIA :-0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 02:50 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,736,130 times
You can get it loose by using either a chemical designed for it or a hair dryer to heat it. The home centers sell a squeeze bottle of junk designed to chemically loosen it but I prefer to use the heat method. Just heat up the area with repeated passes from a hair dryer on high heat.

Use a plastic putty knife to slice thru it and pull it out as you heat or chemically treat it. Use something like needle nose pliers or tweezers to get the smaller stuff. Rake the joint with some tool that will fit in there. Old toothbrush works well as the final scrubber.

Clean the area / groove with a bath cleaner, alcohol is nice as a final cleaning solution. Get it completely clean, dry and degreased. Paint brush or old toothbrush works well to clean to the groove and work in the solutions.

After it is clean and dry, recaulk.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:25 PM

Thumbs up Muchas Gracias oh Wise One ;-0

Thanks Cosmic ! I appreciate very much that you took the time to respond ! I'll be trying your method in a couple of days, after I learn to fix a bunch of sprinkler problems first !!

<Oui vey ..... when it rains, it pours (lol)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
You can get it loose by using either a chemical designed for it or a hair dryer to heat it. The home centers sell a squeeze bottle of junk designed to chemically loosen it but I prefer to use the heat method. Just heat up the area with repeated passes from a hair dryer on high heat.

Use a plastic putty knife to slice thru it and pull it out as you heat or chemically treat it. Use something like needle nose pliers or tweezers to get the smaller stuff. Rake the joint with some tool that will fit in there. Old toothbrush works well as the final scrubber.

Clean the area / groove with a bath cleaner, alcohol is nice as a final cleaning solution. Get it completely clean, dry and degreased. Paint brush or old toothbrush works well to clean to the groove and work in the solutions.

After it is clean and dry, recaulk.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
I've also used the end of the handle of a citrus peeler to help scrape away old caulk after replying caulk remover. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:12 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,487,247 times
So I have a question about this too!! I got mine off okay but the new stuff I put in is just gross. I had the tub filled up when I put the caulk on and I still have gaps between the tile and tub. This will be my 3rd try at this...I'm a terrible diyer....

Any suggestions for me? (I didn't mean to steal your post HDL, but hopefully this will you too?)

Old 05-06-2008, 09:50 PM

236 posts, read 1,085,914 times
Taking it off: In the aisle at HD or Lowe's where the silicone sealant is, there are also plastic tools for removing the stuff. They don't make it easy, but they help.

Resealing: Put masking tape about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch from either side of the gap all the way down the tub. Cut the tip of the tube so that it will put a wide enough bead to cover the gap. Wet your finger with water for latex sealant or acetone for silicone. Use your finger to press the sealant into the gap and overlap the tape. Allow it to dry and then pull off the tape for a clean edge.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 AM

Thumbs up Thanks Eggalegga and WitchDoctor!!!!

And no problemo Fisher33 !!! All posts about bath tub caulking removal and applying are WELCOME here !

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
So I have a question about this too!! I got mine off okay but the new stuff I put in is just gross. I had the tub filled up when I put the caulk on and I still have gaps between the tile and tub. This will be my 3rd try at this...I'm a terrible diyer....

Any suggestions for me? (I didn't mean to steal your post HDL, but hopefully this will you too?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House