Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 01:24 PM

2,792 posts, read 5,569,121 times

Advertisements

Not sure this is the advice you looking for, but the best spatula's I've ever used are the ones from Di Oro: https://dioro.com/
And for a good cooking thermometer, the ThermoPop from Thermoworks is a great, inexpensive product: https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop And all of their stuff is great. I have a DOT for monitoring the temperature of meat when it's cooking: https://www.thermoworks.com/DOT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 01:24 PM

2,330 posts, read 2,517,087 times
In terms of brands, check out America's Test Kitchen for reviews. I've been very happy with the things they recommend. Oxo brand utensils and gadgets are consistent winners in their tests and they're cheap. I also have their recommended Victorinox chef and paring knives that I love. They're ridiculously inexpensive but comfortable to use and easy to sharpen.

A set of silicone measuring cups are really handy. I prefer them to glass.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 1,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
First, I'm curious how you and your spouse (?) have been around long enough to build a house, but not use a kitchen, especially if your screen name alludes to your year of birth.

Second, I suggest buying most of the basics at a thrift store or estate sale. The old stuff is often better than the new and it's a lot cheaper. Since you don't seem to cook much, it shouldn't matter if it's not the latest. Basics would include
  • a set of dishes,
  • flatware,
  • glasses (simple is better),
  • a wood cutting board,
  • a serrated knife,
  • a paring knife,
  • a whetstone,
  • a large pan (no Teflon),
  • and a medium sized pot.

Then go to a dollar store and get a
  • spatula,
  • ladle,
  • can opener,
  • corkscrew,
  • liquid dish soap,
  • some sponges with green scratch pads on the back,
  • and a bottle washer.
Even non-cooks will want to cut a piece of fruit or heat some soup or fry a burger now and then.

Well 1964 Is not my birthyear it is my moms... . I never had a house before and I always lived in places with some other people together during college and even the last couple years with my future husband . Therefore we never had to build up a real household. We do cook a lot of healthy food. Our kitchen in the shared apartment is extremly limited and super unorganized since there were so many people living there and using it. We do not really have any storage space and everything is currently placed into one large shelf that reaches to the ceiling.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:41 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,996,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabs1964 View Post
Well 1964 Is not my birthyear it is my moms... . I never had a house before and I always lived in places with some other people together during college and even the last couple years with my future husband . Therefore we never had to build up a real household. We do cook a lot of healthy food. Our kitchen in the shared apartment is extremly limited and super unorganized since there were so many people living there and using it. We do not really have any storage space and everything is currently placed into one large shelf that reaches to the ceiling.
It might be helpful to tell us what supplies you have already?

It may be best to stick with what you have until you get used to your new kitchen, and buy stuff incrementally after that.

We still have some stuff from our wedding (pre-home) that we never use...we didn't know we'd never want or need to LOL.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:08 PM

10,819 posts, read 7,199,634 times
We started with four place settings of dishes for two people, but bought enough more later to fill the dishwasher. If the dish cupboard is empty, the dishwasher is full.

For everything else, think about what you like to cook, and buy what you need for that. As you expand your cooking skills, you can buy the equipment you need.

If you don't bake, you probably don't need a stand mixer or rolling pin. If you only ever cook for two, you could probably skip the giant turkey roaster and stock pot. I don't even have a food processor any more, because it took more time to clean than it saved in chopping.

I'm a fan of used/vintage kitchenware, and that can let you try a variety of items until you find a favorite.
As someone mentioned America's Test Kitchen has useful reviews, though some of those gadgets are just space wasters IMO.

Pots with heavy bottoms heat evenly and are less likely to burn stuff.
Glass lids are nice to watch what's cooking.
Rimmed cookie sheets and baking pans can be used for sweet or savory dishes.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:45 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,525,933 times
Every time my mother came to visit me for a week she decided to rearrange my kitchen cabinets while I was at work. My mother was right handed. At the end of her visit I would move everything back to where it was, because, I am left handed.

What works best for a right handed person will not work as well for someone who is left handed. So, whoever does most of the cooking should choose where things go in the kitchen cabinets.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:00 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,321,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabs1964 View Post
If you tell us what you usually cook, we can make some specific suggestions.

I used to cook in a restaurant, and we didn't have many fancy gadgets. People mostly use basic tools.

Since you intend to cook a lot, I'd additionally recommend a butcher knife, kitchen scissors (I have the pair linked to and they're well worth the price), and a steamer pan. Someone sneered at my suggestion to get a whetstone, but knives need to be sharpened now and then, and one whetstone should last you indefinitely.

You'll need some storage containers if you have leftovers. The thicker ones wear better.

If you follow recipes, especially for baking, you'll need dry measuring cups, measuring spoons and a liquid measuring cup. I have this set. They've held up well, the spoons fit in spice cans, and they have both imperial and metric measures. You can get a glass liquid measuring cup wherever.

The cutting edge of healthy cooking is now yogurt. You can make your own in an insulated grocery bag with a heating pad and a container.

Old 01-10-2021, 05:23 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,561,379 times
Buy as you go.
That is, make a meal and then ask yourself: what item would have made this easier.
You need very few items. A good cook can make do.

I started cooking for myself in my dorm room.
One electric fry pan.
One metal spatula.
One plate, fork, knife, spoon glass.

I cook in AirBnB units when we travel.
They are very few utensils, pans, etc.
I still make tasty meals.
The only must have for us is: a cork pull.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:31 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,996,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Buy as you go.
That is, make a meal and then ask yourself: what item would have made this easier.
You need very few items. A good cook can make do.

I started cooking for myself in my dorm room.
One electric fry pan.
One metal spatula.
One plate, fork, knife, spoon glass.

I cook in AirBnB units when we travel.
They are very few utensils, pans, etc.
I still make tasty meals.
The only must have for us is: a cork pull.
Right up until I got married my kitchen supply inventory was a mish-mash of college leftovers, yard sale finds, camping stuff, and some stuff I was given by downsizing parents.

I cooked and ate just fine.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:52 PM

21,874 posts, read 19,025,888 times
spices near the cooktop.
that is my only "must"

oh, one more.
NO wooden cutting boards.
ugh, bacteria factory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House