Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 05:32 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times

Advertisements

I can't figure them out, too many choices. I want the ones that are for frames that have no hanging hardware at all. The frames are too fragile to drill holes in for adding hanging hooks or wires. But when I try to search the Command strips I haven't a clue of what any of them mean and I don't know which ones are the right ones.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 06:29 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,536,435 times
The main differences are weight capacities, number of strips per package, and color of the strips themselves.

https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/com...94857497&rt=r3

Old 01-10-2021, 07:18 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I can't figure them out, too many choices. I want the ones that are for frames that have no hanging hardware at all. The frames are too fragile to drill holes in for adding hanging hooks or wires. But when I try to search the Command strips I haven't a clue of what any of them mean and I don't know which ones are the right ones.

Thanks
Most you just stick onto the back of the frame based on the weight of the frame. You stick both sides of the Velcro/strip to the frame and typically do one for each side or more, depending on the weight of the picture. You don’t need any sort of other hardware.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Most you just stick onto the back of the frame based on the weight of the frame. You stick both sides of the Velcro/strip to the frame and typically do one for each side or more, depending on the weight of the picture. You don’t need any sort of other hardware.

Oh! Okay then. I was looking for something specific. Well that clears things up, thank you! The frames are small and light so that method will be okay, I won't worry about them crashing to the floor.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:29 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Personally I would't rely on gluing a picture hanger to the film of paint on top of your drywall, which is (you hope) firmly attached to the layer of paper beneath it, which is (you hope) firmly attached to the gypsum beneath it.

If you've ever scored a piece of drywall and seen how easy it is to peel the paper off, you won't be trying to glue picture hangers to it. Either drive a nail into a stud, or use a molly bolt.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:57 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,556,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Personally I would't rely on gluing a picture hanger to the film of paint on top of your drywall, which is (you hope) firmly attached to the layer of paper beneath it, which is (you hope) firmly attached to the gypsum beneath it.

If you've ever scored a piece of drywall and seen how easy it is to peel the paper off, you won't be trying to glue picture hangers to it. Either drive a nail into a stud, or use a molly bolt.
THIS!

Been there done that. Regardless of how light the item is, don't use Command strips if the item could break if it falls. Command strips are OK for items that will not get damaged in a fall (i.e. if you want to have a hook in the kitchen for a cloth potholder or a hook in the bathroom for a hand towel).

Old 01-11-2021, 11:11 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Oh wow. I have never hung a single picture up like that LOL. That is super easy! I don't really care for that method as if you get the picture crooked, you have to start all over. BUT, it sure is simple. I found this video for the OP.

https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/com...anging-strips/

I use a more traditional method, however my sister uses these, and she loves them.

https://www.amazon.com/Monkey-Hook-P.../dp/B001KVMNPI

Last edited by ChessieMom; 01-11-2021 at 11:38 AM..

Old 01-11-2021, 11:40 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Oh wow - you don't need to do THAT to hang a lightweight picture. I have never used a molly bolt for a single picture (or used a stud either) in all the many years that I have hung pictures. And never had a single one fall either.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:41 PM

Thanks everyone. The problem is the frames. There is no hanging hardware on them, and I think they are too delicate to drill holes to attach hardware.

I'm having second thoughts about using the command things now after reading the posts. And I don't have drywall, I have wood paneling (painted), so the monkey hooks won't work either. Well I could drill holes for them I guess. It looks like I am going to have to buy new frames, much to my annoyance.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:46 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
OK, so now we get to the nub of the issue.

1) You have wood paneling - great! Drive a nail. That's the wall side of the problem answered.

2) You have pictures without hardware to hang.

Best bet is probably to get some picture frame wire (it's a fine cable) and eyelets. There is almost nothing that the little eyelets wouldn't screw into successfully.

Glad I could solve it for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House