Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 12:06 PM

7 posts, read 10,414 times

Advertisements

I currently have a vented natural gas fireplace in my home. To start the fireplace, I have to push in the knob on the valve and then stick a lighter to the gas. This is how it was designed and how it came with the home that was built in 2006(USA). I hate having to do this and it is so messy and inconsistant, so I am wondering if anyone has experience with installing some remote control kit. I would appreciate any input on the following questions:
  1. I'm not sure what kind of valve/burner I currently have, but it needs to be replaced anyway because it no longer stays lit when I try to start a fire.
  2. Is there a kit that anyone would recommend? I am thinking about this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CH1FVYP/
  3. Is there anything particularly important that I should keep in mind?

Thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 01:08 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Well, it's not staying lit because the thermocouple of the safety valve has failed. You do NOT want to operate any gas appliance without a safety valve, otherwise if anything causes it to blow out (a gust of wind, a short term drop in gas pressure, etc.) it can fill your house with gas.

I have trouble understanding how putting a lighter to the gas jet could be ”messy and inconsistent”. Maybe you need to get one of those long lighters for lighting barbecue grills, or a box of long matches.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:19 PM

433 posts, read 532,564 times
I have a White Mountain Hearth VFCR-25-3 and a Skytech II Inc. Sky-3301 controller. The gas log and stove are fine, but, the controller....not so much I don't know what the problem is, but, the controller never worked correctly. I can live with it though, I only have the stove for "emergency" purposes. If we have a power outage, I can get down on the floor and turn the controls (I leave the pilot light on most all the time.)
Fortunately we don't have many outages.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=white+moun...cr-25-3&ia=web
https://www.ebay.com/i/184474557073

good luck!

Old 01-12-2021, 01:59 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Let’s find out what fireplace you have first-
Find the ID tag that should be on the right vertical leg of the firebox. Manufacturer and model number???

Then look for the ID tag that is on the log set- manufacturer and model number???

I’m not real hip on those “aftermarket add-on” components; mostly because the manufacturer of the log set probably didn’t design them for such features- where others are. Plus having wires running out of the firebox looks tacky and is a probable safety hazard. With that said, I’d feel safer with a new log set that is designed and built with the features you desire.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:36 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjinx View Post
I currently have a vented natural gas fireplace in my home. To start the fireplace, I have to push in the knob on the valve and then stick a lighter to the gas. This is how it was designed and how it came with the home that was built in 2006(USA). I hate having to do this and it is so messy and inconsistant, so I am wondering if anyone has experience with installing some remote control kit. I would appreciate any input on the following questions:
  1. I'm not sure what kind of valve/burner I currently have, but it needs to be replaced anyway because it no longer stays lit when I try to start a fire.
  2. Is there a kit that anyone would recommend? I am thinking about this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CH1FVYP/
  3. Is there anything particularly important that I should keep in mind?

Thank you for any help!
I have a b-vent, and I have to hit a toggle switch inside the side panel, and mine too has become inconsistent. The fireplace goes out now within about 15 minutes. The local store told me I could get a remote installed for about $100 -$150. But I am probably going to have the whole thing replaced with a true direct vent.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, it's not staying lit because the thermocouple of the safety valve has failed. You do NOT want to operate any gas appliance without a safety valve, otherwise if anything causes it to blow out (a gust of wind, a short term drop in gas pressure, etc.) it can fill your house with gas.

I have trouble understanding how putting a lighter to the gas jet could be ”messy and inconsistent”. Maybe you need to get one of those long lighters for lighting barbecue grills, or a box of long matches.
You have used a remote for a TV? It's the same thing. You can literally start the fireplace from your sofa. Pretty simply to understand. My BF has one and it is great. I will definitely have that feature on my new fireplace.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:58 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Of course I can understand how a remote start (probably piezo or spark ignition) would work for a gas fireplace. Just failing to see how lighting it with one of those long lighters for the grill could be called "messy and inconsistent". You want messy and inconsistent, try heating your house with peat.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Of course I can understand how a remote start (probably piezo or spark ignition) would work for a gas fireplace. Just failing to see how lighting it with one of those long lighters for the grill could be called "messy and inconsistent". You want messy and inconsistent, try heating your house with peat.

If I had to manually light my dang fireplace every time, I would never use it. Perhaps "messy" is not the right term, but it would definitely be a PITA. No sense quibbling over terminology when I think we understand the point that he is making.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:33 AM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
If I had to manually light my dang fireplace every time, I would never use it. Perhaps "messy" is not the right term, but it would definitely be a PITA. No sense quibbling over terminology when I think we understand the point that he is making.
Yes, people do not want to go and bend down and open the screen or glass doors to “turn on” their gas fireplace. It’s gas for total convenience, no handling or lugging wood or having to deal with manually lighting a fire.

Most of all the new ones that I see in houses are operated with a wall switch so there is no remote to miss place or a battery to replace. Older units may not work with a wall switch or remote as K bldr has mentioned.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Yes, people do not want to go and bend down and open the screen or glass doors to “turn on” their gas fireplace. It’s gas for total convenience, no handling or lugging wood or having to deal with manually lighting a fire.

Most of all the new ones that I see in houses are operated with a wall switch so there is no remote to miss place or a battery to replace. Older units may not work with a wall switch or remote as K bldr has mentioned.
Mine is 26 years old, and DOES have a "wall switch", but it is inside a side panel beside the fireplace, and I have to hold it down for the fire to light. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries to get it to stay lit. I wish they had put the switch on the wall instead, but the whole thing needs to be replaced anyway so it's a mute point for me now. Not sure whether I would want a regular wall switch or a remote - but either of those is preferable to what I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House