Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2021, 02:08 PM

104 posts, read 134,427 times

Advertisements

I moved into a new (literally, brand new) apartment a couple weeks ago. A few days ago, when the winds were very gusty for most of the day, I noticed a knocking in my bathroom fan. It even woke me at night since my bedroom is kiddy corner to the bathroom.

I didn't really know what was going on, so I had maintenance come over and take a look. In an effort to eliminate that knocking noise, he removed the interior flapper/damper in the bathroom fan. It didn't solve the knocking issue (only the wind dying down did that) but when I had maintenance try to put that internal flapper back in the fan, a hinge broke and he couldn't do it.

Specifically, his note read "The plastic pin that hinges to the flap broke off when I tried to put the flap back in, sorry. I would replace the part but it would require tearing out drywall and replacing the ventilation in the wall."

There's an external flapper/damper too, towards the side of the apartment building (my fan is on the wall, not the ceiling). But it seems like the fan had two flappers installed for a reason.

Without that interior damper/flapper, it is easier for cold air to leak into my bathroom and easier for warm air to leak out. I can sense a difference in temperature in that part of my apartment. I never should have agreed to have him remove it, nor should he have suggested that as a good idea. Lets say I understand more about bathroom fans than I did then.

How would you proceed, would you have maintenance come back, tear out drywall and replace the ventilation system so it can go back to having two flappers/dampers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 02:24 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Assume you don't OWN this apartment, you rent it? You'll probably get more useful feedback if you re-post this in the Real Estate forum under Renting. More folks there could weigh in on LL/property management's response to the problem. This forum is focused on home owner issues. In the mean time, you could hang something over the vent opening on the inside when the fan isn't actually running. It would serve somewhat like that missing damper.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-17-2021 at 03:25 PM..

Old 01-17-2021, 03:53 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
This clearly boils down to- there’s a problem- fix it!
Maintenance is just being lazy- they don’t want to start tearing into something unless they absolutely have too. You’re the renter, it’s an issue that’s annoying, and you need it fixed.

Granted, it may be an inconvenience to you, but what’s worse- an annoying knocking/tapping noise, or a couple of days of repair work?

Old 01-17-2021, 04:22 PM

104 posts, read 134,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
This clearly boils down to- there’s a problem- fix it!
Maintenance is just being lazy- they don’t want to start tearing into something unless they absolutely have too. You’re the renter, it’s an issue that’s annoying, and you need it fixed.

Granted, it may be an inconvenience to you, but what’s worse- an annoying knocking/tapping noise, or a couple of days of repair work?
A couple days, is that long how it would take? I only have one bathroom, so if that's not available...

Old 01-17-2021, 04:34 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metty85 View Post
A couple days, is that long how it would take? I only have one bathroom, so if that's not available...
I would hope it could be fixed without messing up the toilet or completely blocking it so you can't use it. And they won't be working non-stop on it - they have to wait for stuff to set in patching the drywall, sanding, blah blah blah.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:43 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I would hope it could be fixed without messing up the toilet or completely blocking it so you can't use it. And they won't be working non-stop on it - they have to wait for stuff to set in patching the drywall, sanding, blah blah blah.

You don’t know apt maintenance- they completely understand the “inconvenience”, they get in, get out- there is one exception, it’s called COVID. But that can be a non-issue with a little pre-planning. Besides, they’re not there all day, all night; and there would still be a working toilet and bath.

Drywall repairs can be sanded and painted within 2-3hrs (it’s a fast setting mud).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House