Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 12:22 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times

Advertisements

Moles would not cause soft ground, nor would they cause the water main to break. Water mains break everywhere, all the time. Repairing them is just a routine part of property management.

If your house is 150 years old and you have holes in your foundation that would allow wasps into your house, you need to get a stonemason to point up the foundation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 12:22 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The ground is extremely soft due to all the mole/vole tunnels; you sink into it when you walk on it.

Do you have a better theory?
RE the voles...You can take a section of gutter or cut a shoebox, place it upside down over the holes with baited mouse traps at the end so they have to pass the traps, and they will since they're baited. They're a PITA, I've seen them take out expensive shrubs, etc.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Moles would not cause soft ground, nor would they cause the water main to break. Water mains break everywhere, all the time. Repairing them is just a routine part of property management.
Vole tunnels do, I have them in my yard all over the place. Although, I do agree that the pipe was probably just old and brittle.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:34 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
I can't help you with the mole problem, but get a friend to knock that wasp nest down and stomp on it.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:56 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
File under "problems that make me want to buy a condo."

First is a glass basement window that is shuttered (nailed shut for security) in which wasps have built a huge nest. It appears to be inactive now since it's winter and cold, but I'm afraid to ask just any handyman to remove it in case something IS in there and becomes active. I also won't be tackling it myself because of my wasp phobia. I assume I need to call an exterminator to be on the safe side, but am afraid that if this option is removed, they'll relocate to another around the house, such as one of many chinks or holes in my stone foundation (this is a 150-year-old house) and thus end up IN my basement with me while doing my laundry.

Second is a mole or vole problem in the yard. When I sit in my lawn chair, the legs actually sink into the dirt. I also recently had a water main break which I'm pretty sure was caused by the lawn man walking on the soft ground above the pipes. Exterminator again? Problem would be neighbors who share the yard (there's no division) who would oppose poisons due to their roaming pets. My solution to both problems: just sell...

Any guidance?
Lol, and you think living in a condo is problem free?

I have had lovely things happen like parties next door, hearing the sexual life of my neighbors, stomping around the clock above me, fire sprinklers going off and flooding one of my walls, water line breaking above me and destroying my kitchen ceiling, unauthorized entries by condo staff, etc, etc, etc.

Your window issue can happen in a condo as well, an easily solved issue.

Water main break by walking? Lol, you serious?

Old 01-19-2021, 01:09 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
As someone else said, wasp spray can be used from 20 feet away. Just buy a can of spray, spray the nest, and let it sit for a few days/week. If you're really worried, spray it a second time the next day. The wasps will be dead, and you can remove the nest without fear.

We've done it outside many times with no stinging problems.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:16 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Rent an armadillo. One will happily eat both of your pest problems while you sleep. Then you just have to get rid of the armadillo.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:26 PM

226 posts, read 158,229 times
Quote:
If it's not impacting my pipes (including gas lines) or my foundation (I worry about that, too), since it's just stacked rocks), that's a relief. But what's a natural remedy that won't kill the neighbors' cats? If you block or "contaminate" one opening, won't that just induce them to dig even more?

they sell battery operated "sticks"that repel the critters with electric/sonic current in soil'

try googling this

Sonic Molechaser Pest Repeller — Aluminum, Covers 11,250 Sq. Ft., Model# 7900

as far as your soft ground,

the critters don't tunnel that deep (just under surface).

Walk on the lawn and you will pack it down over time- after the voles are gone.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:32 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Vole tunnels do, I have them in my yard all over the place. Although, I do agree that the pipe was probably just old and brittle.
The PIPE wasn't 150 years old... It looked fairly new (PVC).

Old 01-19-2021, 01:32 PM

226 posts, read 158,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
As someone else said, wasp spray can be used from 20 feet away. Just buy a can of spray, spray the nest, and let it sit for a few days/week. If you're really worried, spray it a second time the next day. The wasps will be dead, and you can remove the nest without fear.

We've done it outside many times with no stinging problems.

X2

you stated it was cold and nest is dormant.

Use the wasp spray,,
but first - try to get a helper,

encase as much of nest that you can in a household garbage bag,
when confident that bag will catch nest - have helper lop it off with large knife -long bread knife will work.

once in bag, spray wasp killer in bag, seal bag..

problem solved.-and using the bag does not stink up area with excess spray.

No need for exterminator - Save your $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House