Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 01:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times

Advertisements

I discussed this thread with my FIL who farms 160 acres in NE Ohio. He agrees with MOST of what I said but reminded me that there is a reason why he receives 16 nuisance deer permits a year. Deer cause significant damage to crops and have few natural enemies other than man. Uncontrolled, they can be a real problem and the population needs to be controlled.

He has given six people permission to hunt his land. All he asks is that they hunt in the back of the property away from the road and the house and that they let him know when they are out there.

I have eaten a lot of game from raccoon to elk. Deer is quite tasty meat but its downside is that it is very lean. If you cook deer steaks like you would a beef steak, the meat will be ruined. For ground venison, most packers will add beef fat to the meat as people need a little fat in the ground venison.

Raccoon and wild boar (especially in the mid-atlantic and midwest) have a lot more flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 02:02 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
from what i have heard, venison is gross tasting and even people that like it will mix it in sausage and chili where they can mix in other meats and ingredients to mask the flavor.
Venison, especially the smaller corn and bean fed deer we have over hear is excellent, especially the tenderloins and back strap. Roasts can also be done and are pretty good as well. We also do a lot of ground.

The reason for mixing is not because deer is gross, as you've "heard" but never tried for yourself. It is that it is a very lean and healthy meat. Yes, it's good for you. But some recipes require a bit of fat. So venison gets mixed with regular ground beef to make a healthier chili, or meatloaf, or burgers, or anything else you'd use ground for.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Venison, especially the smaller corn and bean fed deer we have over hear is excellent, especially the tenderloins and back strap. Roasts can also be done and are pretty good as well. We also do a lot of ground.

The reason for mixing is not because deer is gross, as you've "heard" but never tried for yourself. It is that it is a very lean and healthy meat. Yes, it's good for you. But some recipes require a bit of fat. So venison gets mixed with regular ground beef to make a healthier chili, or meatloaf, or burgers, or anything else you'd use ground for.
what makes it healthier than any other meat?

my brother told me that i would understand the meaning of something tasting gamey once i tried venison.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:09 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
what makes it healthier than any other meat?

my brother told me that i would understand the meaning of something tasting gamey once i tried venison.

If you do not know how to cook it please stay away from it.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:24 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
This is not the place to discuss hunting.

OP, if you don't have philosophical issues with hunting, it seems to me that the issues you need to address are liability and limiting possible property damage. I'd contact a real estate attorney in your area and find out what is the standard protocol for deer leases in your area.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:05 PM

355 posts, read 225,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I would not allow this. Too much liability and I wouldn't want strangers on my property.
... with a firearm. Exactly.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:24 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
im surprised you were able to figure that out. is there a problem with that? i generally dont try things when people tell me that they are gross.

...And most people generally wouldn't comment on something if they have no experience with it. Venison is delicious.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:26 AM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
...And most people generally wouldn't comment on something if they have no experience with it. Venison is delicious.
It came to him in a dream that he didn’t like it lol

Old 01-23-2021, 01:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
i actually dont think that is true. i think a lot of people comment based on what they have heard or read.

i appreciate that some people take it personally when someone says that they heard venison doesnt taste good. i am sorry for hurting your delicate feelies.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:20 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
i actually dont think that is true. i think a lot of people comment based on what they have heard or read.

i appreciate that some people take it personally when someone says that they heard venison doesnt taste good. i am sorry for hurting your delicate feelies.
As a random reader, it doesn't sound like Kat is the one with the hurt fee-fees. I've had some pretty mediocre, gamey venison, and I've had some that was outstanding, just like my experience with beefsteak.

To the post, in some states (Wisconsin, at least forty years ago), hunters didn't need permission to cross someone's property when tracking an animal that was shot elsewhere, and they were allowed to make the kill on said property if the animal was found still alive. Not sure if they can dress it out on your property or not, you'd have to check with the local DNR. And yes, there are laws with respect to shooting in the direction of someone's house or yard. They take their hunting seriously up Nort', by golly. High schools used to have the first week of season off. And if the Packers made the playoffs...I believe the GM Plant in Janesville installed big-screen TV's for that purpose. Maybe that's why they are no longer there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House