Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2021, 04:03 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetz View Post
Need to replace old electric baseboard heaters with new ones looking for suggestions on good electric baseboard heating replacements. Thank you
There is no "efficiency" difference between different brands or styles, electric heat is 100% efficient (all of the electrical energy provided by the power company goes into heating the space). On the other hand, there is a large difference in natural gas or propane heating (ranging from about 75 to 95%).

As some have stated, it might be a good time to re-evaluate your situation, since you are starting at ground zero. The biggest factor is your climate and how many "heating and cooling degrees" are required for your home and climate. An almost equal factor is the cost and availability of other utilities in your area, along with the configuration of your home (does your climate require central air, for instance, and do you currently have it) - if so, you may be far better off getting an electric heat pump of some sort, which would be more efficient than your electric baseboard heat.

If you are knowledgeable enough that you are certain replacing your existing electric heat is the best solution for your needs, I'd contact a local Electrician (or two) and get quotes. Even though there may not be differences in efficiency, I'm sure there are some in initial cost, appearance, warranty, and component life.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 08:59 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
No they definitely need to be replaced. Looking for a good replacement efficient electric baseboard Heater.

Explain why they need to be “replaced”- this may help with your decision making and poster’s suggestions.

As has been previously stated by others and myself- “why fix what ain’t broke”- if they’re working, they’re working (100%) efficiently. If it’s cosmetic- they can be refurbished with paint or new covers.

But, if you’re Hell-bent on New units- do an energy audit first. You my find that you’re putting your money in the wrong place.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:03 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Explain why they need to be “replaced”- this may help with your decision making and poster’s suggestions.

As has been previously stated by others and myself- “why fix what ain’t broke”- if they’re working, they’re working (100%) efficiently. If it’s cosmetic- they can be refurbished with paint or new covers.

But, if you’re Hell-bent on New units- do an energy audit first. You my find that you’re putting your money in the wrong place.
^^^^Great place to start.

I've got a friend in Central Illinois, whose 1940's or 50's house (the owner's unit in a MH Park) is heated solely with electric. I think his bill is about $400 per month in winter, I don't know what it is in summer (my guess it is fairly low). My heating bill in winter (near Chicago), in a much larger house with natural gas, is maybe half that, and he keeps his t'stat set lower. I suggested he install a thru-wall, high efficiency natural gas furnace in his main room, and set the thermostats such that it runs the majority of the time, and the electrics only kick on when needed, or for heating the remote corners of the house. He has no central air or ductwork system installed, but he does have natural gas present (used for cooking and hot water) available. Bottom line, unless natural gas is unavailable, or you live next to Grand Coulee Dam and your electrical costs are very low, electric is typically a high-cost method of heating. Obviously, other considerations need to be weighed. On the other hand, there is probably a reason electric heat was chosen for the OP's house to begin with, more details on his situation would definitely be helpful.

I myself ran an experiment when my furnace pooped the bed in mid-March a couple of years ago. I had some electric space heaters, and decided to "get through" to defer replacing the furnace and
A/C in summer. Not an economical choice, LOL, and the house was uncomfortably cool for the next month - I would not repeat that "experiment" unless it was an emergency. I was surprised at how much heating one has to do in Chicago, even in the Spring. That's why I roll my eyes at the thought of going away from fossil fuels, I would likely have run out of amps had it happened in January. You Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:47 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
...when my furnace pooped the bed...

Well; you got bigger problems than any of us!

Old 01-27-2021, 06:33 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
We have electric BB as primary heat source. Over 2,000 sq ft in Montana. The units installed were the HVAC register style- not the long baseboard. They have fans inside that push the heat out. It does heat well, but it is pricey to heat. The units are not expensive but here when it get's down below zero to the teens- cha-ching!

There was one register in the dining area, right behind my sons back and in the winter it would fry his back- so I replaced that with a hydronic (?) baseboard. I also replaced two fan driven HVAC styles in the basement with hydronic baseboards. I can say the hydronics don't heat nearly as quickly as the fan driven models, in fact I have to really crank them to heat an area. And they are more expensive than a cadet type fan driven model.

With all that being said- we have a large pellet stove, and we run that 24/7 in the winter months. It's cheaper than trying to heat with all electric. We only use the electric in the bathrooms now. If we had the option to go with NG- I'd put in hot water BB heat or possibly a central system. Our basement is 100% finished so a central forced air system would be a messy job.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:42 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Why replace them? You gain nothing in efficiency and will probably pay a lot for the installation of the new ones.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:58 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
There is no "efficiency" difference between different brands or styles, electric heat is 100% efficient (all of the electrical energy provided by the power company goes into heating the space). On the other hand, there is a large difference in natural gas or propane heating (ranging from about 75 to 95%).

As some have stated, it might be a good time to re-evaluate your situation, since you are starting at ground zero. The biggest factor is your climate and how many "heating and cooling degrees" are required for your home and climate. An almost equal factor is the cost and availability of other utilities in your area, along with the configuration of your home (does your climate require central air, for instance, and do you currently have it) - if so, you may be far better off getting an electric heat pump of some sort, which would be more efficient than your electric baseboard heat.

If you are knowledgeable enough that you are certain replacing your existing electric heat is the best solution for your needs, I'd contact a local Electrician (or two) and get quotes. Even though there may not be differences in efficiency, I'm sure there are some in initial cost, appearance, warranty, and component life.
Correct but there's convection and hydronic electric baseboard heat. The convection is the basic heating element that cools off fast when it's in between cycles. The hydronic heaters have oil or water that is heated by the element that stays hot or warm much longer and uses less electric because it doesn't need to heat a cold element all the time. Hydronic baseboard is the best option.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:30 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,414,349 times
Quote:
No they definitely need to be replaced. Looking for a good replacement efficient electric baseboard Heater.
No such thing as efficient electric baseboard heating. Only efficient heating system is a natural gas forced air system.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:39 AM

106,621 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
No such thing as efficient electric baseboard heating. Only efficient heating system is a natural gas forced air system.
Not true . Hot air furnaces run 80-95% if new and less if older ..electric heat runs 95-100% efficient

Old 01-28-2021, 08:43 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,414,349 times
Quote:
No such thing as efficient electric baseboard heating. Only efficient heating system is a natural gas forced air system. My house is only 1200 sq feet it’s a doublewide manufactured home with center air and forced gas furnace, my gas highest das bill this winter was only $65 and i live in metro Detroit so we get the cold and snow, and we have a gas stove. Our electric is higher than out natural gas in the winter, because of the electric hot water heater and dryer. So electric cost more money in Michigan than other states, and in the summer with the air conditioning our bill is even higher. So electric heating would kill us in electric cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House