Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 05:04 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Add Flo by Moen.

https://meetflo.com/
Assuming the builder even has a contract with Moen. Our current builder used Delta fixtures; the only Moen product they installed was a rail for a shower curtain. Builders usually have long-term contracts with different companies and these contracts are usually exclusive to one manufacturer per product category. We since installed a Moen Engage showerhead in our secondary bathroom and a U by Moen Arbor Smart Kitchen faucet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 07:31 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
CENTRAL VACUUM
These may be dinosaurs to some, but if you plan to have a wood shop, may as well spend the money. Also get the vortex upgrade to select out the heavy stuff so the filter isn't clogged as fast. They're the units that look like two collectors. One catches the heavier items, and the lighter stuff keeps going to the exhaust filter.
A saw dust free workshop is a winner with the WIFE ACCEPTANCE FACTION.
I have a central vac and we love it. My MIL hated using it when she visited so she bought us a Shark. We pull it out when we know she's coming to visit.

Let's take it a step further - Laundry Jet manufactures a "vacuum" for your dirty clothes. The collector goes in the laundry room and outlets are placed throughout the house. Pop in the clothes, activate the system, and whoosh - off they go.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:32 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Assuming the builder even has a contract with Moen. Our current builder used Delta fixtures; the only Moen product they installed was a rail for a shower curtain. Builders usually have long-term contracts with different companies and these contracts are usually exclusive to one manufacturer per product category. We since installed a Moen Engage showerhead in our secondary bathroom and a U by Moen Arbor Smart Kitchen faucet.
Large tract house builders do have contracts with certain brands. Luckily, here in New England there aren't many of those and builders work with local suppliers allowing you to choose whatever you want.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:58 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I’ll take “upscale monsters”’ for $4, Alex!!!
I forgot to mention the service history of certain luxury models. Due to all the bells and whistles things go wrong and require expensive service (if you're out of warranty). I was watching a Canadian construction show and the host was discussing problems with the service tech. He did mention that having a separate compressor unit for the each unit was superior to running everything off one.
NERGY TAR

Probably the biggest problem with new appliances is the ENERGY STAR requirement. Thanks to government meddling our dishwasher runs for two hours - starts and stops - and it may "save energy" on the long haul but it does a miserable job.

Washers, dryers, refrigerators, water heaters, whatever is marked "Energy Star" will be a disappointment.

If you can find a used or repairable appliance, it's worth it to fix / refurbish.
: : : : : : : : : :

Another advantage for "all refrigerator" + separate upright freezer is access by someone in a wheelchair.
: : : : : :
DROP DOWN SHELVES / OVERHEAD CABINETS
Great option for height challenged folks or elderly who can't get stuff from the upper shelves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AebzJ4xeKM

: : : : : : : :
Retask a shop cart with scissors lift table

[] 500 lbs. Capacity Hydraulic Table Cart, for sliding heavy items in / out of hot oven - like a big T-day turkey

Old 02-03-2021, 02:13 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Re: Ceiling speakers - BAD IDEA. Why? The tonal quality is pitiful. You would be far better off with bluetooth or wifi headphones, for portable tunes. I put in wiring for ceiling speakers in my kitchen, and ran an output from my receiver to them. Cool. But the small speakers had no bass. Reminded me of a transistor radio shrieking.

There are companies that connects a transducer to make the whole wall into a speaker. They sound somewhat better... or worse, ymmv.

https://www.feonic.com/in-wall-speakers
I'd suggest such things only for a dedicated home theater. Again, a portable headset will do the job elsewhere.
. . .
IF you're looking for champagne audio on a beer budget, DIY plans available here: Bill Fitzmaurice.
https://billfitzmaurice.info/
Check out "David" as in David v Goliath.
. . .

You get what you pay for. We put in quality speakers and they sound great.

Old 02-03-2021, 03:19 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention the service history of certain luxury models. Due to all the bells and whistles things go wrong and require expensive service (if you're out of warranty). I was watching a Canadian construction show and the host was discussing problems with the service tech. He did mention that having a separate compressor unit for the each unit was superior to running everything off one.
NERGY TAR

Probably the biggest problem with new appliances is the ENERGY STAR requirement. Thanks to government meddling our dishwasher runs for two hours - starts and stops - and it may "save energy" on the long haul but it does a miserable job.

Washers, dryers, refrigerators, water heaters, whatever is marked "Energy Star" will be a disappointment.

If you can find a used or repairable appliance, it's worth it to fix / refurbish.
: : : : : : : : : :

Another advantage for "all refrigerator" + separate upright freezer is access by someone in a wheelchair.
: : : : : :
DROP DOWN SHELVES / OVERHEAD CABINETS
Great option for height challenged folks or elderly who can't get stuff from the upper shelves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AebzJ4xeKM

: : : : : : : :
Retask a shop cart with scissors lift table

[] 500 lbs. Capacity Hydraulic Table Cart, for sliding heavy items in / out of hot oven - like a big T-day turkey

Logorrhea!

Old 02-03-2021, 03:45 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
There are sooo many good suggestions on this thread!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House