Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 06:08 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I do building maintenance for a hospital that uses such toilets. I would NEVER get one for the home. When the seal at the wall starts leaking it’s a pain to repair the leak. Floor mounted toilets can handle higher weight and are easier to replace the seal when it should start leaking. At the hospital we’ve had to install support brackets to these wall mounted toilets.
Completely different system. The residential units use an in wall tank/carrier that the bowl hangs from:

They can save up to 12" of space in a bathroom. Properly installed, they don't leak. If needed, any maintenance is done through the flush plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 06:56 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Completely different system. The residential units use an in wall tank/carrier that the bowl hangs from:

They can save up to 12" of space in a bathroom. Properly installed, they don't leak. If needed, any maintenance is done through the flush plate.
Holy cow! the tank is IN THE WALL????

I suppose I've seen a worse idea at some point in my life, but I can't imagine when!

Just get ordinary floor mounted toilets, for crying out loud! None of this exotic nonsense that ten years down the road you can't get parts, or repairs are costly, etc., etc., etc. Just a regular floor mounted toilet that any doofus can fix or replace. Whether round or oval bowl, tall or regular, is your choice.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:41 AM

273 posts, read 208,236 times
I wish I had lights in all my closets now. My front coat closet is a dark hole. When I was younger I lived in a custom built (small builder-one house at a time) and all closets had good lighting.

So many good ideas here!

Old 01-28-2021, 09:51 AM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
You mentioned your home is in an HOA. Would their regulations allow for solar panels and functional shudders? There are many different types of shudders for windows that provide storm protection (like hail or wind damage) while still allowing you to see outside. There are some made of aluminum and are solid but hinted at the top edge and the bottom swings away from the window frame. Once in open position you can see outside. In closed position it’s like having closed blinds and extra protection from damage and sun.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:46 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I would insist on a whole-house surge protection device as well. I've had two incidents now in my home - with considerable damage - what would have been prevents by such a unit. I am having one installed, soon.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:06 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I would insist on a whole-house surge protection device as well. I've had two incidents now in my home - with considerable damage - that would have been prevented by such a unit. I am having one installed, soon.
Correcting my typing!

Old 01-28-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Holy cow! the tank is IN THE WALL????

I suppose I've seen a worse idea at some point in my life, but I can't imagine when!

Just get ordinary floor mounted toilets, for crying out loud! None of this exotic nonsense that ten years down the road you can't get parts, or repairs are costly, etc., etc., etc. Just a regular floor mounted toilet that any doofus can fix or replace. Whether round or oval bowl, tall or regular, is your choice.
That's the beauty of choice - you do you and I'll do me.

In wall tank systems have been around for about 40 years and the blow molded tank is just as capable as an ceramic tank. You can access all the components from the flush plate should maintenance be needed. The dominant manufacturer's system has tested up to a 400kg (880 lbs.) load on the bolts and frame. It allows for more space in the bathroom and easier cleaning. It's the most common style of toilet sold in Europe.

Yes, it's expensive but people are willing to spend the money for what they want.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:33 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
That's the beauty of choice - you do you and I'll do me.

In wall tank systems have been around for about 40 years and the blow molded tank is just as capable as an ceramic tank. You can access all the components from the flush plate should maintenance be needed. The dominant manufacturer's system has tested up to a 400kg (880 lbs.) load on the bolts and frame. It allows for more space in the bathroom and easier cleaning. It's the most common style of toilet sold in Europe.

Yes, it's expensive but people are willing to spend the money for what they want.
Well, when the gasket at the bottom of the tank starts to leak, and you have to rip out the whole wall behind the terlit because it's all soaked with water, you'll wonder why you didn't buy a Kohler toilet for $200 that takes a $10 gasket and an hour of labor to replace the gasket, and you can instantly see when it does start leaking, because there'll be water on the floor.

Just because some people will pay a lot of money for a bad idea does not make it a good idea.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, when the gasket at the bottom of the tank starts to leak, and you have to rip out the whole wall behind the terlit because it's all soaked with water, you'll wonder why you didn't buy a Kohler toilet for $200 that takes a $10 gasket and an hour of labor to replace the gasket, and you can instantly see when it does start leaking, because there'll be water on the floor.

Just because some people will pay a lot of money for a bad idea does not make it a good idea.
There isn't a gasket at the bottom of the tank. It's a chemically welded connection.

Again, you don't have to buy it. They've been in use for decades around the world where space is at a premium.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:36 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
There must have have been a fork in the road sometime back...

Y’all need an atlas!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House