Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 07:27 PM

37,424 posts, read 45,616,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I've seen eye-rolling examples of home design in wealthy areas everywhere, guess we just have more of them here due to population and wealth.

However, I'd hardly consider quartz countertop products to be a sign of gauche wealth on display, LOL.
No one said it was. Quartz has become a favorite of people of many levels of income. But it definitely is in some of the kitchens of the very wealthy. It may not be used as much now though as it has become much more mainstream.

Frankly, if money were no object, I'd have a tough time finding a natural stone that I liked the look of, as well as my quartz counters. I would love to have quartzite, but it is nearly impossible to find one that is a cool true white and gray, with no brown or gold. Believe me, I looked. Marble would fit the bill, but I don't want the etching that comes with marble. These counters will last me the rest of my life I expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 07:36 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,994,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No one said it was. Quartz has become a favorite of people of many levels of income. But it definitely is in some of the kitchens of the very wealthy. It may not be used as much now though as it has become much more mainstream.

Frankly, if money were no object, I'd have a tough time finding a natural stone that I liked the look of, as well as my quartz counters. I would love to have quartzite, but it is nearly impossible to find one that is a cool true white and gray, with no brown or gold. Believe me, I looked. Marble would fit the bill, but I don't want the etching that comes with marble. These counters will last me the rest of my life I expect.
My comment about quartz...I was referring to the thinly-veiled "Cali is dumb" comment, suggesting that only the idle rich would consider it LOL. It's pretty much ubiquitous now, there's no segment of the market where you wouldn't ever see it.

I have half quartz, half soapstone in our LA kitchen. Very happy.

I too prefer the relative uniformity of the quartz "patterns" over natural stone in general (but we love our soapstone!).

Old 02-15-2021, 07:40 PM

7,986 posts, read 10,322,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Crockpots are not an issue. I have had quartz counters for 3 years now and always use my crockpot directly on the counter. If you have one that has a bottom that gets super hot, then you probably need to get a new one!! There are no kitchen appliances that I have that require a heat pad under them. Silestone is using that as a CYA, so I get it, but the reality is, appliances just don't get that hot on the bottom. Or at least, properly working ones!!
I use my Crock Pot directly on my formica and have since forever without a problem.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:50 PM

829 posts, read 620,643 times
We put granite countertops in our last house and loved them for the 10 years we were there afterward. We put quartz in our new home simply because we liked the patterns/look in the color range we wanted. Granite was the standard with the builder we used and the quartz was a significant upgrade, but we're happy with it. I wouldn't hesitate to use either one in the future.

As for being heat resistant, we were told to NEVER put a hot pot on the granite or you can develop a Hot Spot - and though I know people who put hot puts on their quartz, I wouldn't do that either. Why take that chance?

Old 02-15-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
My comment about quartz...I was referring to the thinly-veiled "Cali is dumb" comment, suggesting that only the idle rich would consider it LOL. It's pretty much ubiquitous now, there's no segment of the market where you wouldn't ever see it.

I have half quartz, half soapstone in our LA kitchen. Very happy.

I too prefer the relative uniformity of the quartz "patterns" over natural stone in general (but we love our soapstone!).
Soapstone is beautiful. If I had a laundry room counter and sink, I would probably choose soapstone for that.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I use my Crock Pot directly on my formica and have since forever without a problem.
As did I. Never an issue. No issue with my quartz either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House