Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 11:45 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times

Advertisements

My bathroom doesn't have an exhaust fan...I'd like to replace the light with an exhaust fan. My question is about venting it. I'm reading various things.

Ideally I'd vent it to the soffit (from an ease of installation standpoint.) The current light fixture is close to the exterior wall anyway. I've read that that can be counter productive as you direct it out of the attic, right underneath what is basically a vent for the attic, and that it can cause mold, etc...

That being said...

I don't use this bathroom for showering all that often, this is more about smells
In North Carolina the air outside of the house is going to be way more humid than the air inside of the house anyway

Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 12:49 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Fan lights aren't very bright. You can always install a light assembly above the mirror, and a Panasonic low volume exhaust fan on a facade along the ceiling, venting out the outer house wall. You don't want to vent into the attic, and venting out the wall is more efficient. For this work you will need an electrician to split the electrical power in three directions, one for the light over the mirror, another for the fan, and if you have a large bathroom, another circuit for a ceiling light.

Why don't you let somebody who knows what to do design a plan for you?

Old 02-12-2021, 12:50 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Buy a 100 cfm fan.
Buy the quietest fan you can find. I like our Panasonic WhisperGreen.
Do not vent into a soffit vent.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Buy a 100 cfm fan.
You can vent it onto the roof, with the right vent fixture.

https://www.ventmyhouse.com/4-x-8-la...SABEgLAiPD_BwE

Old 02-12-2021, 01:13 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Fan lights aren't very bright. You can always install a light assembly above the mirror, and a Panasonic low volume exhaust fan on a facade along the ceiling, venting out the outer house wall. You don't want to vent into the attic, and venting out the wall is more efficient. For this work you will need an electrician to split the electrical power in three directions, one for the light over the mirror, another for the fan, and if you have a large bathroom, another circuit for a ceiling light.

Why don't you let somebody who knows what to do design a plan for you?
There's already plenty of light from the mirror lights (not an enormous bathroom.)

I'd like not to spend a fortune on this. THe electric wiring I can do.

I've read mixed things about venting to a soffit. It would be the most expedient, and I don't think I'd be introducing air that's more humid than the air outside.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:24 PM

6,371 posts, read 4,196,292 times
A roof vent is probably your best bet but if it’s difficult to get there, a screened or dampened soffit vent would work just fine and not create any mold or issues in your attic.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:35 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,571,878 times
A soffit vent should be fine. Any vent is better than no vent.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:59 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,003,010 times
I know they say vent to the outside but depending on where you are that's over kill. My parents house has been venting to the attic for 32 yrs and no damage has been done They have two fans venting to the attic. We took showers daily growing up. We are in the south. Maybe it's an issue in colder climates when the warm moist air hits the cold air and creates condensation. But you should vent to the out on your house. Also, they say that venting to the soffit is bad. You will always find experts that disagree with everything.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:13 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
If the soffit direction is the most direct and shortest route- by all means, go that route. Though there is the option of going through the roof- you’re just adding another potential leak point in the roof.

The most common argument with soffit termination of fart fans is with continuous soffit venting. The exhausted air from the exhaust fan is being drawn back into the attic- I see the argument, but if the run is short and the CFM’s and velocity are substantial- I tend to think that the draw would be quite minimal; if at all. If the house has regular rectangular style vents every 6-8’, just make sure the exit is between two of the vents.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:36 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Buy a 100 cfm fan.
We just installed that into my bathroom to replace the old crappy one that died (I've already replaced the motor on it once so wanted something better). It vents up to the roof. Both of my bathroom fans vent to the roof.
And that Panasonic WOW is it way better than the old piece of junk. Not only does it move a LOT more air, it is so quiet my BF can no longer use it for white noise at night (YAY that is why the old motors kept dying - he wore them out!!) Now we use a small fan on the night table for noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House