Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 06:20 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times

Advertisements

Who will be climbing the stairs?

Young kids tend to run and elderly people can easily slip, fall, and end up with a broken hip.

Personally, I prefer carpet. However any surface that improves grip would be fine.

Polished wood that is slippery is a hazard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 03:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Finish the steps. If you want to put carpeting on later, the hardwood and its finish will still be under there and it'll match the rest of the room, so if even later you decide to go back to wood it'll be there.
This. You can always cover the steps with carpet if you don't like the wood. But to go back and replace carpet with wood steps later will cost thousands. I know because I ripped the carpeting off of the steps in a house I bought several years ago. I had a contractor come out and give me an estimate. He was shocked at how much the treads cost. Then there's the staining and sealing. You also can't use the stairs for several days during this process.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:35 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This. You can always cover the steps with carpet if you don't like the wood. But to go back and replace carpet with wood steps later will cost thousands. I know because I ripped the carpeting off of the steps in a house I bought several years ago. I had a contractor come out and give me an estimate. He was shocked at how much the treads cost. Then there's the staining and sealing. You also can't use the stairs for several days during this process.
The treads are going to cost a ton anyway. It doesn’t make a difference when you do it. My parents bought a new home and got wood treads and I don’t think they paid any different than when I redid a home I bought to put in wood treads. I would say put on a carpeted runner. I fell down both my stairs and my parents’ stairs in the past because I slipped.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:18 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Wood. I wish we would have done the stairs when we put in wood floors, but my kids were little, and I was afraid they slip and get hurt. But I grew up with wood stairs, and we survived. My IL's put down these tread things on theirs because they are getting older and they have an elderly dog. And it still looks great. Besides, vacuuming stairs is a pain in the behind.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:23 AM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
My inlaw is carpet installer. It does not require professionals to have carpet cleaned, regular vacuum does just fine but, it is very easy to mess up steps carpeting and, end with something that looks ugly, annoys the hell out of you and starts tearing apart quickly. Steps have to be done by very good installer and done right.

And if you decide to carpet, do bullnose, not cascade.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:37 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
I would never have steps without carpet. It is just way too easy to slip going down the stairs with just a wood surface. I love mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Carpeting on steps-final.jpg  

Old 02-07-2021, 12:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The treads are going to cost a ton anyway. It doesn’t make a difference when you do it. My parents bought a new home and got wood treads and I don’t think they paid any different than when I redid a home I bought to put in wood treads. I would say put on a carpeted runner. I fell down both my stairs and my parents’ stairs in the past because I slipped.
There are 2 types of treads that go in when building stairs. One is basic lumber which is cheap and the other is a finished stair tread. These are pricey. If you want to add them later then you have to have the lumber removed which can create other problems when being removed.

People can fall on both carpeting and wood. Neither one will prevent a person from falling.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:46 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,067,436 times
I prefer carpet with a thick pad for the stairs, if I fall I end up not getting seriously injured. And I fallen a few times. I will never have just wood, I did that and when you fall it’s easy to break an arm. As you age we are more fragile.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:19 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Do “both”.

Use a stair runner- I hate bare stairs! They’re noisy as Hell, and can be a slip hazard without the carpet.
Totally agree!

Old 02-08-2021, 04:25 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
I prefer carpet with a thick pad for the stairs, if I fall I end up not getting seriously injured. And I fallen a few times. I will never have just wood, I did that and when you fall it’s easy to break an arm. As you age we are more fragile.
^^Agree

Our house has carpeted stairs. When our kids were small, no matter how many times we would tell them to walk, not run, they would run anyway.

All three eventually fell down the stairs. We'd hear the bump, bump, bump, then a big gasp for air, then a scream!

Luckily, the very heavily padded carpet provided a soft landing. No broken bones, just a learning experience.

That which hurts teaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House