Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,796,874 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how to make a slipcover for a sectional sofa? Or know someplace to get one that is not expensive as all get out? I think we have an odd sized one as well because it has two reg sofa size cushions, then a corner, then two other reg. sofa size cushions. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 07:57 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,727 times
It is so funny you should ask this as i just threw out my sectional (there were large rips in the cushions and generally stained and dirty...I looked and looked and looked some more but could never find a slipcover for a sectional..I don't think i'll replace it with a new sectional as i already know how hard it is to find a slipcover.....

Old 04-20-2007, 10:40 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,377,367 times
Since our sectional was a pretty high quality and is the main feature in our living room, we had it reupholstered.

Are you handy? because if you are, you can get some fabric from the store, create a template and then cut the fabric larger than you need and use a glue gun or even velcro to secure it in place. Yes, it's a fair amount of work but it can be done. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2007, 11:20 AM

257 posts, read 1,081,357 times
Hi, I am going thru the same thing with my loveseat.........it has recliners, how do u slip cover that? I know there are several places, or stores online to purchase these. Google Slip covers, or slip cover stores!

Another alternative if u are handy is on hgtv sites, or home improvement sites and forums.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:02 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,891,737 times
Hi PopRocks & Putty -

There is a wonderful book called "Fabrications" that shows step by step illustrations to design, cut & sew slipcovers. It's a larger, odd-sized book which I'd have trouble properly scanning entire pages, otherwise I'd scan all the directions for you both. It's a nice book to keep around as I've referred to it time & again. Also, as a sewer myself, if you go to a fabric store, you'd be surprised that there's more than just Butterick & Vogue clothing patters. Some books show patters to design pillows & bedspreads, etc. Call your local fabric place first to save yourselves a trip.

It sounds more complicated than it is. Don't be afraid of it, it's only fabric. Without a pattern, you'd simply drape, pin then cut. If that's too scarey or you're afraid you'd ruin your fabric (a valid fear which I'd experienced once with improper measurements while being too impatient with an extraordinarily expensive fabric! Ouch!), then search out a pattern or test first with an old, large sheet that you wouldn't mind loosing if you make mistakes with your "test pattern". My mother was a seamstress & although I am definitely not of that caliber, the best advice she gave me as a child was to not be afraid of the fabric or pulling out stitches & beginning again. I sometimes still have that performance fright of "what if I ruin $100 worth of fabric?". For more complex projects, I have several huge sheets I purchased for a few dollars from the Salvation Army that I use as patterns.

If your local Joanne's doesn't have pattern books, ask them who would. You may be surprised to find them at the small fabric stand in the middle of a local store not necessarily known for fabric, which has happened to me on vacations.

It's fun & you can always just use a lovely, huge table cloth or other fabric, tuck & drape it, add some loose ties/sashes a la Shabby Chic & avoid sewing. Please check out "Fabrications". I think it will be of great use to you both. Surprising "fixes" for odd pieces, etc. contained within.

Good luck! Have fun with your fabric. Have a pattern in mind? I'd love to see pics of the end results if either of you are so inclined! It may spring forth hobby ideas for many of us!

Last edited by Baltic_Celt; 04-24-2007 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 04-24-2007, 06:19 PM

65 posts, read 319,013 times
Try Surefit Slip Covers - I Redid Mine My Self - One Snowy Afternoon - It Was A 5 Peice Sec. With A Table In The Middle.

Or Try A Really Big Throw

Old 10-21-2007, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 66,433 times
Default Sectional Sofa Cover

I bought a sofa and loveseat size Surefit and, with some pinning, they fit my large sectional very well. I can't tell you how to pin.....each sofa's different........but I actually used large safety pins and they're undetectable!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 66,011 times
Smile Slipcovers for Sectional

I've been having the same problem and can't find any company that actually makes slipcovers for sectionals. I been to so many websites and I think the only thing to do is to use a sofa and loveseat cover and make them fit! There's something about it here - www.getslipcovers.com/sectional_slipcovers.html
Hope that helps.

Last edited by sarahjo85; 11-27-2007 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: link doesn't work

Old 07-23-2010, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 45,756 times
It looks like Sure Fit (surefit.net) is researching creating sectional slipcovers. If enough people take their survey (look on the lower part of their home page to take the survey. It's called "Have a sectional?"), maybe they'll start making them. I just filled out the survey and hope to receive word that they are available soon!

Old 06-30-2011, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 33,503 times
I am trying to find a slipcover for my bedroom. I want a cool desigin, like zebra print or something like that. Any ideas? HELP ME!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House