Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 02:36 PM

9,121 posts, read 6,174,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
This has been a year of house projects. It started January 2020, exactly 1 month after renovating the laundry room because the dryer died and needing to change the layout to stack new ones, that a pipe broke. I fixed the pipe and never repaired the damaged drywall. Then last June, a hose bib busted, spraying water into the electric panel and frying the electric panel, well pump and flooding the basement. We had a team of electricians work for a week to upgrade the electric. I demoed the wet areas of the basement and left it be. We had already scheduled a contractor to replace our leaking roof, remove the asbestos siding and put stone on the front of our house and repair the falling down chimney. I couldn’t swing another project... mentally or financially.

Which brings us to last week, when yet another copper pipe broke, warping the family room floor. Had to rip that up due to mold. So the 1970’s ugly paneling came down with it. This week we are cutting out the remaining areas of drywall and replacing all old copper pipes with new cpvc. A drywall guy we met in Home Depot starts tomorrow.

Hopefully everything gets painted by end of next week and new flooring can be laid that weekend. And i might as well go all out and get the new cabinetry for the laundry room.

After tearing out the basement paneling, we learned the area needs to be studded properly so finishing the basement again will be a slower project.

What’s everyone else doing this year?
Who said quarantine is boring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 03:08 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I love the blue! If I may ask, what color/paint is it?
Behr Paint NYPD Blue.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:22 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Behr Paint NYPD Blue.
thank you! was it gloss? semi?

Old 02-18-2021, 03:35 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Quote:
thank you! was it gloss? semi?
semi-gloss

Old 02-18-2021, 04:09 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
Great color for that door. Well done!

Old 02-18-2021, 05:40 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,549,473 times
We are still deliberating on whether to add a shower to the first floor guest bathroom, or to go all in with a second floor bath and closet addition. We may even consider expanding the second floor to “rough in” a master bedroom. The difference in cost will likely be enormous. At this point we are trying to get estimates. Then there is a remodel of the existing bath. Then the kitchen....

Old 02-23-2021, 10:02 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
You’re right OP, tons and tons of house projects!

We got our house in 2019 and it was brand new, so lots to do:

-I spent $150,000 in 2019, the majority of which was pool / spa / fire pit and outdoor landscaping around it. Another quarter was the solar panels. Then the rest was a ton of small to medium projects: master closet redo, soft water loop, garage epoxy, installing 40 smart light switches, dozens of other smart home upgrades, ceiling fans, smart blinds and dumb blinds both, etc. And none of that includes maybe $15,000 in furniture purchases.
-I spent another $45,000 last year: game room closet remodel (started in December 2019), BBQ area outdoors with minifridge and outdoor TV, MERV-16 with UV hospital quality air filtration system, premium garage door, 20 gauge steel front entry door, etc.

This year I expect anywhere from $75,000 to $100,000 in the final home upgrades. Those are:

-400 amp panel upgrade (done)
-Install 2 Tesla Powerwalls for battery backup
-Remodel office closet
-Remodel pantry: Add countertop, cabinetry, electrical, and bar at the back with dual zone mini fridge (beer and wine).
-Add built-in bookshelf above already extant built-in cabinet in hallway.
-Redo entire front yard curb appeal: Tear out concrete driveway and replace with large concrete modern pavers, add fountain to front courtyard, rip out stucco courtyard wall and replace with maybe stone / tile (pony) wall, redo all landscaping and tear out builder plants replacing with cactuses most likely and synthetic turf.
-Rip out rod iron property line / balcony railing and replace with glass and metal.
-Rip out staircase and dry wall division and replace with glass and metal railing throughout.
-Add rooftop balcony above existing balcony with glass railings.
-Add premium garage cabinets.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:19 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

-I spent $150,000 in 2019, the majority of which was pool / spa / fire pit and outdoor landscaping around it. Another quarter was the solar panels. Then the rest was a ton of small to medium projects: master closet redo, soft water loop, garage epoxy, installing 40 smart light switches, dozens of other smart home upgrades, ceiling fans, smart blinds and dumb blinds both, etc. And none of that includes maybe $15,000 in furniture purchases.
-I spent another $45,000 last year: game room closet remodel (started in December 2019), BBQ area outdoors with minifridge and outdoor TV, MERV-16 with UV hospital quality air filtration system, premium garage door, 20 gauge steel front entry door, etc.

This year I expect anywhere from $75,000 to $100,000 in the final home upgrades. Those are:

-Remodel office closet
-Remodel pantry: Add countertop, cabinetry, electrical, and bar at the back with dual zone mini fridge (beer and wine).
-Redo entire front yard curb appeal: Tear out concrete driveway and replace with large concrete modern pavers, add fountain to front courtyard, rip out stucco courtyard wall and replace with maybe stone / tile (pony) wall, redo all landscaping and tear out builder plants replacing with cactuses most likely and synthetic turf.
-Rip out rod iron property line / balcony railing and replace with glass and metal.
-Rip out staircase and dry wall division and replace with glass and metal railing throughout.
What a waste of money. Why didn't you do this during the new construction?

Old 02-24-2021, 10:50 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
We did new carpet through out house and put vinyl wood planks in second bedroom. I painted a couple of rooms and the kitchen cabinets.

This year (I think) new kitchen appliances and add a tile backsplash. Get trim of house repainted. Possibly redo master bath. I'll paint some more rooms

Old 02-24-2021, 08:28 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

-Remodel office closet
Quote:
What a waste of money. Why didn't you do this during the new construction?
Agree - with that many "issues" you'd have been happier just building yourself. I can empathize - my reasoning was, if I have trouble buying clothes off the rack there's no way I'll ever find a house I'd want to buy! So do it the way you want from the basement up - definitely cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House