Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 01:40 PM

349 posts, read 243,904 times

Advertisements

I have a front door sign to hang on our door. Unfortunately we had to take it down because one night when it got breezy, it banged on the door and I couldn’t sleep. (We are in an apartment complex, so we can’t install a storm door - certainly would love to have when we eventually buy!)

Anyway, we are not sure what to do to prevent the banging. My mom had suggest 3M command strips to place on the bottom of the sign (where it lays against the door), but the only outdoor ones are replacements for command hooks, so that won’t work. Any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Front Door Sign - Wind Issue-323472e9-49e5-4a45-b9fd-0450e3d7a889.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 01:51 PM

14,461 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Stick on velcro?

Old 02-28-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Stick on velcro?
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I’ve looked into it but I’m hesitant if it fits our needs. I need something outdoor-friendly, but also is removable for when we move (and won’t damage the door). I’m not sure Velcro strips are easily removable from what I’m reading. I like 3M since they have the tab you pull to easily remove without damage. They just don’t have the right strips for outdoor use.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:01 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Self-stick rubber bumpers; or wool pads.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:16 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luo2013 View Post
Anyway, we are not sure what to do to prevent the banging. My mom had suggest 3M command strips to place on the bottom of the sign (where it lays against the door), but the only outdoor ones are replacements for command hooks, so that won’t work. Any other suggestions?
Why won't outdoor 3M Command strips work? Pick a hanger or two appropriate for the weight of the sign. You don't need to install the hangers, just use the strips that are supplied with them. Attach one part of the strip to the back of the sign (instead of the back of the hanger), the other to the door. Toss the hanger or keep it to use for something else. You can get replacement strips for that. Gotta think outside the box sometimes OP!

If it was me, I'd probably still hang the sign as you are now, but use a Command strip on one side or bottom to help prevent it from rattling. You'll be able to use a smaller strip that doesn't need to support the entire weight of the sign. Less likely to damage the door when you remove it. If the paint on the door is weathered the strip may still damage the paint during removal. Hard to predict.

I would also check with your LL before installing anything on their door. They may have other suggestions or may be planning to refinish the door anyway.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-28-2021 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-28-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Why won't outdoor 3M Command strips work? Pick a hanger or two appropriate for the weight of the sign. You don't need to install the hangers, just use the strips that are supplied with them. Attach one part of the strip to the sign (instead of on the hanger), the other to the door. Toss the hanger or keep it to use for something else. You can get replacement strips for that. Gotta think outside the box sometimes OP!
Oh, I thought of that! But per instructions, you have to remove the hook to ensure it sticks... can’t do that with a sign. And it doesn’t look like it’s just flat strips on both sides. Maybe I’m reading it wrong??
Attached Thumbnails
Front Door Sign - Wind Issue-e2e5f0c5-2d76-4a62-9ddb-3f833246dbcf.jpeg  

Old 02-28-2021, 02:42 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luo2013 View Post
Oh, I thought of that! But per instructions, you have to remove the hook to ensure it sticks... can’t do that with a sign. And it doesn’t look like it’s just flat strips on both sides. Maybe I’m reading it wrong??
Have you ever used Command strips before? The strips are made up of two parts and both have adhesive. One half (according to your instructions the "blue" part) goes on the back of the supplied hanger and the other (the "black" part) on the wall. Both adhesive sides are flat. They should stick to just about anything unless the surface is significantly textured.

I'd suggest that you can probably safely ignore the step about "testing" above. If the sign's weight is still being born by the hanger and cord you are using now, the Command strip doesn't need to. All you are using it for is to stop movement, not bear weight. Put the "blue" strip on the back of the sign, press it in place as directed, and let it sit for the required period of time. After that, if you can't lift the edges of the strip it is probably adequately stuck to the surface. Then, position the sign on the door and install the "black" part of the strip as per directions. Essentially, all you've done is substitute your sign for the hanger.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:55 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
There is something called museum putty. It is a putty that stays soft. You pull off a chunk and place it behind a picture, for example, to keep it straight. Just break off a piece and press it between the door and the sign. It will hold it, and you just peel it off when you are done.

I think places like Michaels and other craft stores sell it.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Have you ever used Command strips before? The strips are made up of two parts and both have adhesive. One half (according to your instructions the "blue" part) goes on the back of the supplied hanger and the other (the "black" part) on the wall. Both adhesive sides are flat. They should stick to just about anything unless the surface is significantly textured.

I'd suggest that you can probably safely ignore the step about "testing" above. If the sign's weight is still being born by the hanger and cord you are using now, the Command strip doesn't need to. All you are using it for is to stop movement, not bear weight. Put the "blue" strip on the back of the sign, press it in place as directed, and let it sit for the required period of time. After that, if you can't lift the edges of the strip it is probably adequately stuck to the surface. Then, position the sign on the door and install the "black" part of the strip as per directions. Essentially, all you've done is substitute your sign for the hanger.
I’ve used indoor strips but not outdoor ones, so wasn’t sure if they were different. That’s true re: support since its being hung by the hanger, not the strips. I guess I was overthinking this, lol. Thank you!

Old 02-28-2021, 06:34 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Is the door steel? You could use magnetic strips too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House