Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 08:01 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,429,514 times

Advertisements

I need an electric immersion element boiler for my bathroom that will heat water in minutes. I'm thinking 15 minutes for about 5 gallons. I looked at some on Amazon, but don't know which to buy. Some have bad reviews and I don't want to burn down the house or create an electrical issue. I also need the product to NOT burn itself. If anybody knows of a RELIABLE product, please post. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 09:45 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Maybe you just need to turn up the t/stat on the W/H!(?)

Or, is it a combination of heat AND abundance- bigger W/H!

Old 03-05-2021, 09:52 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
You know, they have small water heaters, that have to meet standards (UL? Not sure which is the governing body) for safety - why don't you just buy an ordinary small water heater that's UL (or equiv.) listed, or a tankless heater that's UL (or equiv.) listed?

Don't make this more difficult than it is. Go to a real plumbing supply house and ask the nice man behind the counter for assistance.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Maybe you just need to turn up the t/stat on the W/H!(?)

Or, is it a combination of heat AND abundance- bigger W/H!
If I turn up the t/stat any higher the z score is not going to accurately give me the p value.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You know, they have small water heaters, that have to meet standards (UL? Not sure which is the governing body) for safety - why don't you just buy an ordinary small water heater that's UL (or equiv.) listed, or a tankless heater that's UL (or equiv.) listed?

Don't make this more difficult than it is. Go to a real plumbing supply house and ask the nice man behind the counter for assistance.
Right.....

Men!

Old 03-05-2021, 11:55 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
If I turn up the t/stat any higher the z score is not going to accurately give me the p value.
Quote:
Right.....

Men!

Ya know, it usually helps when you can coherently state what exactly you're trying to achieve!(?)
These things don't come about by osmosis!
Women!

Old 03-06-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Ya know, it usually helps when you can coherently state what exactly you're trying to achieve!(?)
These things don't come about by osmosis!
Women!
Lmao. It's okay dude. I don't think anyone in the forum knows what I'm talking about, even if I were to explain.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:09 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
There are very small electric water heaters. (They aren't called immersion heaters) I had one in one of my darkrooms. 15 min for five gallons is a push, energywise. Off the top of my head, that would take just under 1 KWH of electricity +-, so... maybe a 5,000 watt element? It requires a dedicated circuit. Mine was 15 gal, but I think you can get something with a five gallon tank.

If you only need a little water, there are electric teakettles and open water heating devices, but those are generally only for half a gallon or less.

If you just want an immersion heater, you are talking about a stock tank heater. Those (at least the one I have) have a thermal cutoff to keep stock from scalding themselves.

The closest I can think of offhand to a freestanding immersion heater that would do the job is a coconut oil can heater that has a calrod sword on it. We used those in theatre to liquefy the the solid coconut oil for the popcorn machines. It sat nicely on a metal five gallon Lou-Ana can and had a thermostat.

If you mean anything other than the above, please go ahead and 'splain.

Edit to add: Just looked at the thread title and you describe what you want as a "boiler." A boiler heats water to 212 F, setting it to boil, so that the steam can then be used. What are you wanting to boil or steam in your bathroom??? FWIW, that would take around 1.75 KWH, and need a larger element just to get it to that temperature. To have a usable amount of steam, energy draw suddenly increases even more to get the water to change state.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 03-06-2021 at 05:26 PM..

Old 03-06-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If you mean anything other than the above, please go ahead and 'splain.
Was looking for something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Immersion-Flo...85XY7K52&psc=1

Or this. https://www.amazon.com/BlazeTech-Imm...81SRPGWK&psc=1

But not too pricey, that someone has actually tested the brand and recommends it.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:52 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Was looking for something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Immersion-Flo...85XY7K52&psc=1

Or this. https://www.amazon.com/BlazeTech-Imm...81SRPGWK&psc=1

But not too pricey, that someone has actually tested the brand and recommends it.
OK, that is NOT a boiler. Clarity is important. You had people scratching their heads.

Five gallons is not a lot of water. An average tub holds about 40 gallons, so if you are planning on use for that, 1500 watts is seriously undersized. If you are planning on filling a bucket and then dumping that water into a tub, it is still going to be slower than allowing your water heater to recover and then running more hot water. An average electric water heater has an element that is 3800 or 4500 watts, more than twice the wattage of that heater by any stretch.

Now for what you don't want to hear. There is NO WAY I would allow such a device in my bathroom. EVER.

There is no GFI device on the cord, you are entirely dependent upon the correct wiring in the bathroom with a fully functional ground fault interrupter. If the wiring has been compromised, or the socket GFI doesn't work, you are using it in one of the most dangerous environments possible. With a stock tank heater, you are commonly wearing boots, are upright and often gloved. In a bathroom, you are nekkid with all sorts of exposed skin surface and chances for current to flow.

What happens when the insulation wears or overheats? If your breakers are working properly, there will be a short that trips the breaker. Again, I see nothing on the devices for overcurrent protection.

When an element like that runs dry, the best scenario is that the element heats up enough to go open circuit by melting. If there is no thermal switch at the element, it can overheat and char whatever is around. A fire would depend upon time left for charring or overheating, and the surrounding materials. Melting of the wire insulation is possible, with all that entails.

The safer way, by far, for more hot water is to turn the thermostat on your water heater up, giving it more effective capacity. Mine is turned as far up as it can go, and my Jacuzzi style tub gets full just as that 50 gal tank is starting to go cool. In 15 minutes, I have another ten or fifteen gallons of hot water to use if it chills.

I have used and continue to use immersion heaters, but the idea of using one like that in a bathroom is way beyond my comfort zone.

Beware of online reviews, as they are often paid shills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House