Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 10:49 AM

4,522 posts, read 3,717,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
Not sure if someone mentioned this or not but Cafe offers a free 10 piece cookware set with the purchase of their induction ranges. It's a really nice set too.

https://www.cafeappliances.com/offer...okware-rebate/

I have the gas double oven and love it and my friend bought the induction with double oven and loves it.
Another thank you from me! We ordered this online and would not have known about this offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 01:17 PM

167 posts, read 357,598 times
I have had the GE profile induction stove for 3 years. I love it. I did not have to change my pots. I already was using stainless steel, cast iron and enamelled cast iron. The only thing I have noticed is that most non-stick frying pans are made of aluminum and will not work. I was able to find a stainless steel induction compatible frying pan.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,950,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycee View Post
I have had the GE profile induction stove for 3 years. I love it. I did not have to change my pots. I already was using stainless steel, cast iron and enamelled cast iron. The only thing I have noticed is that most non-stick frying pans are made of aluminum and will not work. I was able to find a stainless steel induction compatible frying pan.
I had that problem too. I found T-fal non stick pans and they work well.

Old 03-21-2021, 08:09 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,358,292 times
We have gas...though I prefer electric (non induction). Had no real issues with the glass cooktops. Not to mention I couldn't be bothered having to use special cookware..

Old 03-22-2021, 12:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,950,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
We have gas...though I prefer electric (non induction). Had no real issues with the glass cooktops. Not to mention I couldn't be bothered having to use special cookware..
Cookware that works on induction is not particularly special. Aluminum or copper bottomed cookware will not work. There are plenty of pans that will work, and they are not hard to find. The exceptions to this are lightweight non stick pans, which are usually not induction capable, in my experience.

Old 05-15-2021, 08:55 PM

To update, my Cafe induction/double oven range ordered in early February arrived late this week. It has a March 24th build date. I’ve used the oven, but not the induction part yet. I qualify for the free induction cookware set but it’s about 12-16 weeks before being delivered. I have cookware that will work. My Cuisinart set has a copper sandwich bottom and weakly holds a strong rare earth magnet. I’m not expecting them to work well, if at all. I have a nesting set of Cuisinart pans with detachable handles that has a steel bottom and the magnet sticks very strongly to it. I have found that set to be more convenient to use and store, and rarely use any of the copper sandwich pans. I’ll test them tomorrow.

I am so impressed with the oven though. Unlike the range it replaced, I can touch the door and any part of the range surface and feel no heat. The vent is at rear of the top of the range and the air wasn’t even hot venting out. A 425 degree setting wasn’t heating up the kitchen. This is a big thing for me in FL. I bake throughout the year.

The range has WiFi and I downloaded an update this afternoon that allows the smaller oven to be used as an air fryer now. Amazing.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:11 AM

It just keeps getting better.

I’ll report back on the induction after using it for a while. I expect to like it since I learned to cook on gas and was used to instant on and off. I’ve adapted to using an electric range since moving to FL in an area without natural gas, but I still am not as proficient as my husband who grew up cooking with electric.

I bake two loaves of sourdough bread weekly and pull the Dutch ovens out after pre-heating to put the dough in and then out again to take the lid off and pull out the parchment paper for the last 15 minutes. Even using silicone mitts, it’s been too easy to get an accidental burn from handling them so much.

The lower oven has an extendable rack and it can hold the weight of the two Dutch ovens. No more lifting the pans in and out multiple times. The kitchen heated up when I brought out the cast iron Dutch ovens when I was done baking, until then, it was minimal heating even at 500 degrees for a half hour and at 450 for 15 minutes more. I’m one happy baker! Now to find out if the induction meets my expectations.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:34 AM

It didn’t take long: I love cooking with an induction range! Finally, turning down or turning up the heat has an immediate response. It’s the way I’m used to cooking and I’m back in control, not my range. I really didn’t know what to expect, but I honestly didn’t expect it to be this good. My pans are highly magnetic and that makes the difference, from what I’m reading.

I’m looking for a stove top kettle and waded through reviews on Amazon last night. I came away with several realizations. All products labeled induction compatible do not have the same performance. There were many complaints about how long it took to boil water with some kettles. Some took 3-4x longer because they were weakly magnetic. I boiled 6 quarts of water in my largest pot last night and wish I would have timed it, I wasn’t ready for it to come to a boil as fast as it did. I had to turn it down to catch up with the rest of my meal. That hasn’t ever happened since I began cooking with an electric range or even with my old natural gas range.

I haven’t been this excited about any kitchen appliance purchase since I replaced my gas refrigerator eons ago.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:00 PM

5,851 posts, read 11,849,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
It didn’t take long: I love cooking with an induction range! Finally, turning down or turning up the heat has an immediate response. It’s the way I’m used to cooking and I’m back in control, not my range. I really didn’t know what to expect, but I honestly didn’t expect it to be this good. My pans are highly magnetic and that makes the difference, from what I’m reading.

I’m looking for a stove top kettle and waded through reviews on Amazon last night. I came away with several realizations. All products labeled induction compatible do not have the same performance. There were many complaints about how long it took to boil water with some kettles. Some took 3-4x longer because they were weakly magnetic. I boiled 6 quarts of water in my largest pot last night and wish I would have timed it, I wasn’t ready for it to come to a boil as fast as it did. I had to turn it down to catch up with the rest of my meal. That hasn’t ever happened since I began cooking with an electric range or even with my old natural gas range.

I haven’t been this excited about any kitchen appliance purchase since I replaced my gas refrigerator eons ago.
I feel the same way! After suffering with electric ranges because most of the houses I've lived in didn't have gas service, I finally love cooking on my induction range top. It makes all the difference in the world. My initial idea to buy one was spurred by one of my bunco friends who called it a "game changer". I couldn't agree more.

And you are correct about the quality of the cookware - I do a lot of cooking and investing in good cookware is a must for me and is more important now with the induction range.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:16 PM

17,466 posts, read 38,877,668 times
Still using my fantastic induction hot plate. I bought a new GE range with smooth top mainly for the double ovens. I set my double induction hot plate on top and use that. Best of both worlds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House