Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 11:27 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times

Advertisements

I want to update our stove.

First, we are in an all electric neighborhood, no gas service at all. Gas is right out. Don't suggest gas.

I want a double oven. I hate trying to juggle cooking times and temps for different parts of meals. Two ovens will work better.

So I've looked at a few online (hard to find in person, actually). Samsung is right out. Hate the fact that you have to open both the top and the bottom to get to the bottom oven - stupid design.

What's left are GE, LG and Cafe.

GE & LG are regular glass top stoves.

Cafe is induction.

GE & LG are about $1k cheaper than induction.

Also, I would have to get new cookware with induction.

I've never used induction. All reviews point to induction being a good thing.

The cost difference makes me pause, but isn't a deal breaker.

So - I'm asking those who switched to induction - was it worth the extra cost? Are you happy? Any pitfalls? How has it held up? Would you do it again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 11:53 AM

743 posts, read 876,470 times
At my other house I had the option to get induction since gas was not an option. I wish I would've gotten the induction instead I bought the glass cooktop. BIG mistake! That was the worst cook top in the history of cook tops! Horrible to keep clean, scratches easily etc.

My current home I recently did a remodel. I bought what I wanted for this house. I didn't care if all the appliances were different (manufacturers). I bought what I wanted. My double oven is a GE Cafe french door. That oven is awesome! It is all digital with wifi. Has an airfry setting that is amazing.

Go with induction and get the GE Cafe french door double oven. You will be very happy. Induction is very efficient. I have a portable burner that I used to use at the other house. It heats up fast like gas.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:38 PM

Sorry, I wasn't specific. I'm talking slide in range with two ovens, not a wall oven.

Love that French door wall oven but it's not what I need.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:44 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
I do not own induction (I use gas, but don't tell the OP), but I have used it. It is a really great cooking method, and if my choice was a glass cooktop or induction, I would choose induction if I could swing the cash. As MGS said, the induction top solves the cosmetic problems glass cooktops inevitably develop over time.

How much of a concern is swapping cookware? Sure, you need to purchase new stuff, but it isn't that terribly expensive.

As an aside, I really support the double oven concept. I have double ovens, and although I don't typically use two at once, they do allow me extra flexibility when I want to. It is definitely a luxury, but a nice luxury.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:51 PM

Hi fishbrains!

I don't mind changing out the cookware, it might be a good thing as dd is getting her own place for senior year college. I can pass stuff to her.

2 votes for induction, 0 for regular.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:13 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
I vote for calrod, traditional electric.

No glass to scar or chip; every type of pot or pan works fine; replacement elements cost about $20 and take two minutes to install; lower initial cost; simple design means less to go wrong.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:18 PM

No one makes a double oven slide in calrod stove

Old 03-15-2021, 01:39 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
No one makes a double oven slide in calrod stove
OK, whatever. I don't make it a priority to keep up with current trends in appliance manufacture. I stand by my recommendation for ordinary calrod stove top burners. If they're not available in your preferred configuration, then buy something else. Duh.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:29 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
You know, you could get gas and use refillable tanks.
Just jerking your chain.

I like the idea of induction, though I haven't used it much.

I've been pretty happy with glass top stoves, and hate cleaning those awful calrod burners. Haven't had those in more than 20 years.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:58 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
I’ve always baked and the pandemic has taken me to new levels this past year. Our house is total electric and we ordered the GE Cafe double range with induction last month. I have a set of Cuisinart cookware that I have had for 30 years and sadly they are not magnetic enough. Interestingly, we had a nesting Cuisinart set for our sail boat and we put it into daily use when we had two home while we were snowbirds. It is highly magnetic, so I’ll just need to replace a Cephalon wok style pan that I use a lot. The real downside is the Cafe is scheduled to arrive in early May to be installed. We ordered it in February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House