Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 01:16 PM

5,909 posts, read 7,241,767 times

Advertisements

Looking for some options in Arizona for a source for a prefabricated or modular home. This could be a manufacturer that is out of state but ships to Arizona.

I'm not speaking about manufactured homes, such as homes that are essentially mobile homes built in sections to be trucked into place, but homes that might be built by panelized construction and assembled on site.

I'm looking at raw land that I would construct a home on, which I would like to be as close to stick built as possible. The rationale behind a panelized approach would be to assemble or construct it in as little time as possible.

Any resources or direct experience with panelized/modular homes would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

RM

Last edited by MortonR; 03-15-2021 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 02:40 PM

17,416 posts, read 65,584,777 times
By your description-
The fastest would most likely be a modular home.
Panelized construction can certainly be faster than on-site stick framing. But, plan intricacies can certainly complicate and slow the construction process.

Another “panelized” form is SIPS- a great choice when considering a well insulated version of a plan. Which could be a strong possibility for AZ.

Your biggest problem isn’t finding a manufacturer, or shipping/trucking to site- it’s the cost of lumber AND finding a framing contractor or GC that has experience with SIPS, modular, or panel type construction. Then there’s the possibility that the location you are wanting build is in an area why the AHJ is so antiquated that they don’t know or understand “unconventional construction techniques”. Or worse yet, don’t allow them.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:54 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,464,926 times
https://www.sips.org/

Here is a great place to start for information. They can help you with information and direction.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:31 PM

A link to our architect for our SIP home. We set the Superior Wall foundation panels on November 21 and were moved in by the first of June. Starting a build in Ohio the end of November can many times be an "iffy" proposition. Our house is nothing fancy, just under 1600 sq ft plus a full basement. Some of his projects are more elaborate than ours.

There are links to time lapse videos of the major construction aspects. Foundation walls took 1 day for installation, exterior house walls took 1 day, roof trusses took 1 day and roof panels took 2 days because we got a late start. The reason for the delay between wall panel erection and roof truss installation was due to our decision to stick frame the garage walls. If we were to do this again, those walls would also be SIPS.

Hope this helps.

https://www.sips.org/members/moonlig...ign-studio-llc

Old 03-16-2021, 04:57 AM

5,909 posts, read 7,241,767 times
Thanks to all, especially on the SIPS homes, as this is exactly what I was looking for.

My big question would be cost relative to a traditional stick built home, if anyone knows. I realize this is a ballpark figure no matter what, but I'm curious as to how much cheaper (or expensive) it is.

Time is definitely a plus here, and I fully understand that a SIPS home would go up much faster.

Again, thanks!

RM

Old 03-16-2021, 08:35 AM

Actual costs are going to vary, depending on specific design and topographical/geographical considerations. Here are some information links to show a general comparison. These do not include actual dollar amounts as that will vary by location.

https://www.premiersips.com/sips-vs-stick/

https://www.premiersips.com/what-is-...ps-and-sticks/

By searching various sources, I determined that the average utility cost for heating and cooling in Ohio last year was about $250 per month. Because of the good energy features of the SIP construction, our average cost for heating and cooling was about $166 per month. Over time, those additional monthly savings will add up. In addition, monitoring the attic temperature last summer showed a high temperature of 94 degrees even when we had numerous consecutive days of full sun and temperatures near 100. (No trees on our lot)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House